Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Application Guide for med/dent to Oz

Retired
    HSC
    N/A
    They only sound as dodgy as your knowledge about them. If you know what you are getting into they seem pretty good especially MRBS.

HSC
    N/A
    Speaking to students, I think most would have been prepared to do bonded if offered, but there are also many (like me) who would not have accepted a bonded place, and gone to another uni/degree instead.
    SGS Class of '04
    UNSW Med 1
    2/3/4u maths tutoring available. see
    http://community.boredofstudies.org/...30#post1883130

Retired
    HSC
    N/A
    Yeh, im guessing lots of people put it down, but dont want to accept it.

Retired 13 May 2006 Lexicographer's Avatar
    HSC
    Well, most of the people around me in bonded places are either considering "paying them out" or don't care. For my part, well, the only places I can't really go are the inner suburbs of capital cities - and conditions are shit there anyway.
    No longer active as of 13 May 2006

HSC
    isnt a condition.. that even if u pay it out u may still not get ure medicare provider number?
    I take no responsibility for this post's content

HSC
    No that's the harshest penalty, imposed on those who default.

I'd check my contract but it's in Sydney.

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by velox
    They only sound as dodgy as your knowledge about them. If you know what you are getting into they seem pretty good especially MRBS.
    Like i said i dont have a problem with the MRBS ones and ill apply for those. Its just the contracts of the normal bonded ones are pretty restrictive but with out the same benefits as the MRBS

The ausmed site also said that the bonded ones aren't that great

Retired
    HSC
    N/A
    Restrictive in what sense?

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Zali
    Like i said i dont have a problem with the MRBS ones and ill apply for those. Its just the contracts of the normal bonded ones are pretty restrictive but with out the same benefits as the MRBS

The ausmed site also said that the bonded ones aren't that great
    The AusMedStudent site didn't say anything of the sort. However, people on the site did; and you should always be wary of what strangers with a keyboard tell you. Just because something is said on a reputable medium (like the AMS forum) does not mean it was said by a reputable person.

HSC

Retired
    HSC
    N/A
    lol thats awesome.

HSC
    Here's why the scheme is a disaster for students:

A FAIRER MEDICARE - BONDED MEDICAL SCHOOL PLACES

Bonding HECS based medical student places represents a fundamental change to the higher education system.

• Access to public higher education under the HECS arrangements has been based on merit and has offered students from a range of socio-economic and cultural backgrounds the opportunity for a tertiary education.

• The Government’s bonding proposal for medical students requires students to enter into onerous contractual obligations that will impact on them for 15 - 19 years simply to obtain a university place.

• Medicine is the only degree that is subject to these bonds. This is unfair and the contract conditions represent a significant departure from the merit principle for access to public higher education.

• Students who for whatever reason fail to meet the bond obligation will be required to pay the Government the full cost of a private fee paying medical school place plus interest. This could amount to over $120,000 – even though the doctor will be providing valuable medical services to the community.

The bonded places are not the same as those currently offered to doctors by the military or to teachers in the past. Bonded medical students will not receive a scholarship or any other benefit compared to un-bonded places.

• This is not a scholarship scheme. No benefit beyond the university place itself is being offered by the Government.

sorry it wasnt on the ausmed site but if you want to read the full story go to
    http://www.nswama.com.au/index.php?o...=page&SubMenu=

HSC
    And yes, these are the cons of the scheme. Somewhat depressing to think that if for any reason you "break the rules" you are at the complete mercy of the minister of the day (Federal Minister for Health).

Retired
    HSC
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Zali
    Here's why the scheme is a disaster for students:

A FAIRER MEDICARE - BONDED MEDICAL SCHOOL PLACES

Bonding HECS based medical student places represents a fundamental change to the higher education system.

• Access to public higher education under the HECS arrangements has been based on merit and has offered students from a range of socio-economic and cultural backgrounds the opportunity for a tertiary education.

• The Government’s bonding proposal for medical students requires students to enter into onerous contractual obligations that will impact on them for 15 - 19 years simply to obtain a university place.

• Medicine is the only degree that is subject to these bonds. This is unfair and the contract conditions represent a significant departure from the merit principle for access to public higher education.

• Students who for whatever reason fail to meet the bond obligation will be required to pay the Government the full cost of a private fee paying medical school place plus interest. This could amount to over $120,000 – even though the doctor will be providing valuable medical services to the community.

The bonded places are not the same as those currently offered to doctors by the military or to teachers in the past. Bonded medical students will not receive a scholarship or any other benefit compared to un-bonded places.

• This is not a scholarship scheme. No benefit beyond the university place itself is being offered by the Government.

sorry it wasnt on the ausmed site but if you want to read the full story go to
    http://www.nswama.com.au/index.php?o...=page&SubMenu=
    plus no-one likes to mix and live with country bogans.

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by velox
    plus no-one likes to mix and live with country bogans.
    (first post for this page)

Actually it is almost universally agreed that the rural clinical schools (normally in Med V) are the most enjoyable time spent in medical school.

Retired
    HSC
    N/A
    Yeh i was just being sarcastic. Im sure BMP would suit many applicants. Ironic since Zali is rural, and she is paying out the BMP scheme.

HSC
    *tries hard to be offended about "bogans", but can't be bothered*

Haha, that's actually quite funny...
    Visualising "Emma" in flames... and loving it

Retired
    HSC
    N/A
    Yeh i wasn't serious. I was a country boy at one stage. Im one of the few people in my extended family to live in the city. Wouldn't mind moving to the country for a bit.

HSC
    Interesting, that I was born and raised in what is as close to "city" as Australia will ever get, and have now willingly become a country boy.

HSC
    Im not bagging out the scheme i'm just pointing out that its not as great as it first sounds and many people would just listen to what u guys say with out realising the full extent of they are getting in to. I realise that heaps of people dont hav a problem with it and thats fine but I don't like being locked into a contract when i'm going to work in the country any way unless i'm getting something for it like the MRBS. I no it sounds strange but thats just how i feel. Besides im defering next year and you cant defer bonded places, at UNSW anyway i dont no about the others.

Retired
    HSC
    N/A
    Oh yeah. Well i guess some people have more passion for studying medicine than others. I'd just get my parents to pay it off if i didn't like it.

HSC
    Yes you can. Half the point is that if you get a bonded place, unless you're like me and have little shot you should defer it and try for a CSP in the next bunch.

Maybe this is not the case at UNSW, but it is at many other universities.

HSC
    i hav just as much passion as you to study medicine just i unlike you don't hav parents who could pay off the debt. (velox)

You definately cant defer bonded places at unsw but thats good about other unis then

Retired
    HSC
    N/A
    Yes but if i was offered that i would take it on the assumption that my parents wont pay it off. Heck i haven't even asked. You can't compare passion for something over an internet forum

HSC
    What's this about parents paying for stuff? I think that's an idea for a thread.

[goes off to write thread]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information