HELP on Medicine Interviews (1 Viewer)

calicogenie

HSC
Hi :)

I was looking into medicine important dates and found that UNSW, UWS and UON all had their medicine interviews in late November/early December before ATARs are released (UNSW also does another round of interviews after ATARs are released in early January tho). So how come they do the interviews so early even before ATARs are released? Does that mean they don't count the ATAR (lol that doesn't make sense tho)? I am aware that these important dates are for the 2018 entry but I just assumed that the dates will be similar for the 2019 entry.

Please help!!

Annie657

HSC
Hi!

So all universities use atars in a different way.

For UWS, atar is just a threshold, so you are invited for an interview based only on your umat score (this year s1 + s2 + 0.1 of s3) Once atars come out and you meet the 93.5 (GWS) or 95.5, place offers are based mostly on interview, a little of umat, and how high your atar is does not matter, as long as you meet the threshold (the numbers above)

For Uon, it is similar, interviews are all based on s1 of your umat score (58 plus this year), and then place offers are made based on interviews only. Your atar has to be above a 94.1 or something, but once it is above this cutoff it is not used for place offers.

Unsw is slightly different, as interview offers are based on both predicted atars your school sends out and your umat percentile, for first round. There is also a second round after atars are released for those with higher actual atars than there predicted. Offers are 1/3 interview, 1/3 umat, 1/3 atar.

By doing them before atars are released, unis get more time to calculate cut offs and things, I’m not 100% sure though, it’s just how it is!

Also I would highly recommend you check out med students online! They have so much info on this sort of thing, like the cutoffs required in umat and atar scores to get an interview this year, and in depth info about all med schools.

Hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)