Best Undergrad Degree? (1 Viewer)

typingtimtam

HSC
Hi!

I want to study Medicine but first I need to study an Undergrad degree. What undergrad degree is best if you want a future in Medicine?

Is it a good idea to study Nursing? Paramedicine? I am trying to stay away from strictly Science degrees as I'd like to be able to fall back on my Undergrad degree if everything doesn't go according to plan.

Thanks!

Annie657

HSC
I am glad you are staying away from strictly science degrees, lots of people do them and never get into medicine, leaving them with a degree with very limited career prospects!

You should really do whatever you like, and can imagine yourself doing for the rest of your life if you never got into medicine. For me this backup was physio or pharmacy.

The thing is in a medicine course they really assume everyone knows nothing at the beginning, you could be in the post grad course with engineers or law graduates! As long as you have the knowledge required for the gamsat (yr 12 level physics, first yr uni level chem and bio) then you should be sweet.

Have you considered the undergrad pathway as well? There are numerous universities especially in nsw that accept non school leavers based on a uni gpa of however much you have completed. For these you need to sit the umat, and would allow you to get into med before you even finish that undergrad degree.

Hope this helps!

typingtimtam

HSC
I am glad you are staying away from strictly science degrees, lots of people do them and never get into medicine, leaving them with a degree with very limited career prospects!

You should really do whatever you like, and can imagine yourself doing for the rest of your life if you never got into medicine. For me this backup was physio or pharmacy.

The thing is in a medicine course they really assume everyone knows nothing at the beginning, you could be in the post grad course with engineers or law graduates! As long as you have the knowledge required for the gamsat (yr 12 level physics, first yr uni level chem and bio) then you should be sweet.

Have you considered the undergrad pathway as well? There are numerous universities especially in nsw that accept non school leavers based on a uni gpa of however much you have completed. For these you need to sit the umat, and would allow you to get into med before you even finish that undergrad degree.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, that was a great help!!

I have considered undergrad but I don't think I'd get in. My ATAR was only 76 and my GPA from a degree I started was only 4 (as I started suffering depression and had to withdraw from some units, ultimately dragging my ATAR down by two points).
Do you know of anyway to get my academic standing up this year to an acceptable standard? Should I complete units at uni hoping to increase my GPA even though I don't want to do that degree? I'm not sure!

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Thanks, that was a great help!!

I have considered undergrad but I don't think I'd get in. My ATAR was only 76 and my GPA from a degree I started was only 4 (as I started suffering depression and had to withdraw from some units, ultimately dragging my ATAR down by two points).
Do you know of anyway to get my academic standing up this year to an acceptable standard? Should I complete units at uni hoping to increase my GPA even though I don't want to do that degree? I'm not sure!
You can always start something new that you find easier/more enjoyable, which will help you boost your GPA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)