UoW Medical School. (1 Viewer)

santaslayer

HSC
Woo..... this is for you Lexi. :p :uhhuh:

http://media.uow.edu.au/news/2004/0802a/

Education minister announces go-ahead for University of Wollongong’s medical school
Aug 02, 2004

The Minister for Education, Science and Training, Dr Brendan Nelson, has today (August 2) announced the establishment of a graduate medical school for the University of Wollongong starting in 2006. The Government will provide capital funding of $10 million.

Dr Nelson told those attending the official announcement that it will involve 288 student places over a four-year period from 2006.

He said the school would be unique and would draw upon an extensive networking arrangement with universities around the world to ensure students were gaining the most up to date medical knowledge.

In fact, the graduate medical school will have not only key linkages with overseas medical institutions but an advisory board that will bring together some of the world’s leading medical practitioners.

The Vice-Chancellor of the University of the Wollongong, Professor Gerard Sutton, said it had been a long held dream for decades to have a medical school established at UOW and finally the dream has come true.

The school will be based on an exciting new model that aims to meet the critical shortage of doctors in regional, rural and remote areas of Australia and prepare them for expected medical advances in the 21st century.

The medical school will be based at the University’s campuses in the Shoalhaven and Wollongong drawing on medical practitioners from these respective communities to help drive the teaching program.

The medical students will be selected from regional, rural and remote areas of Australia.

Professor Sutton said it was best to imagine the new medical school as a mosaic representing what has been successfully implemented elsewhere in the world and what is envisioned by others as necessary in the future in medical education.

Medical practitioners in Wollongong and Shoalhaven have strongly backed the formation of the new school.

Professor Sutton paid special tribute to the efforts of the Education Minister, Dr Nelson, and the Member for Gilmore, Joanna Gash, in helping to establish the case with their Federal Government colleagues for the establishment of the school.

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Doesn't it seem suspicious to anyone that with less than three months before the election is due the federal government has approved three new medical schools?

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
called 'buying the student vote'

Is this UoW medical school undergraduate or graduate ?
what about UWS ?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Mr Wiggle said:
called 'buying the student vote'

Is this UoW medical school undergraduate or graduate ?
what about UWS ?
announced the establishment of a graduate medical school for the University of Wollongong starting in 2006.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
so its UoW and UWS..
lexi sed 3 med schools?
wheres the other one?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
kimmeh said:
i think theres a bit too many med schools now. ANU does graduate medicine places as well.
meh doctor shortage.. and med schools make alot of money from them..esp .. int'l students

santaslayer

HSC
The international students are usually really smart. Chemistry, maths, bio and physics etc son't really require you to excel in English. These subjects have their own international language. :)

EDIT: WTF, my thread got moved. :p

Lex edit: That's right, this is the relevant subforum for Med threads. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

inasero

Reborn
HSC
UWA will also start a medical campus in sydney, opening in 5 years.

rar so many medicine places.
not true...the establishment of more medical schools is certainly warranted, given the current workforce shortage. the governments current policy is to import less skilled physicians from overseas, while they are suffering from their own shortages (in fact there is a shortage of physicians worldwide). the government sees locally trained students as a financial asset because they are expensive to train up, whereas they are in fact investments and arent as likely to bugger off to another country once their medical education has completed.

so far as where to establish it, i fully endorse UoW over UWS simply cos it has more facilities and better reputation. furthermore, given its location it will train doctors who are more willing to pracice in rural areas, where they are really needed.

santaslayer

HSC
inasero said:
so far as where to establish it, i fully endorse UoW over UWS simply cos it has more facilities and better reputation. furthermore, given its location it will train doctors who are more willing to pracice in rural areas, where they are really needed.
I tend to agree. I like you. I think I've made a friend. :uhhuh: :p :uhhuh:

inasero

Reborn
HSC
actions speak louder than words as they say- meaning, i woulln't mind a rep point round about now :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)