Undergraduate Degree to take when aiming for Post Grad Med (1 Viewer)

boredofhsc12

HSC
I've been leaning towards the BClin Sci at Macquarie because its fast tracked and does lead to their post grad (i know its extremely expensive)
However, since so many people who apply for this degree are also just gonna be medicine hopefuls, is it gonna be difficult to achieve high marks and subsequently gain access into their post grad program.
And also i've heard that these science degrees do not hold many employment opportunities and so are there any other degrees that would be more beneficial in getting access because obviously Bclin Scie will improve marks in GAMSAT but because of the competitiveness, it will lower GPA? (really not too sure about the last part i said)

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
A degree like B. Clinical Science may lead to other postgrad opportunities besides Medicine.

I know- Pharmacy is a dead end (apparently) and psychology is a tough nut to crack. Perhaps you could go into medical technology or forensice science.

It's bleak for health jobs even though baby boomers are getting older, our population is growing, etc. So say if you just get through your degree and no med offers- do a graduate diploma in applied social research and policy, and that will help significantly in any behind the desk policy jobs (I don't know if you would consider that). You could also go into hospital administration and human services. Not for you? There are still alot of hands-on, health jobs besides medicine- ranging from dentistry, nursing, optometry, psychology, etc. Yes those fields are competitive and you'll have to work for it. But same goes if you are a doctor- you'd be working hard for a long time. The sooner you accept that, the better off you'll be.

I wouldn't rule out any quasi-medicine degrees yet because you may find your 'niche' or an area you are passionate about.

boredofhsc12

HSC
Ive considered it but i've also heard that B science is even more bleak in jobs than others but correct me if im wrong.

Bu tbh all that matters is how effective the degree would be at preparing me for med and if it would make the application process any easier

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
That's understandable. If you are just looking for med preparation, I think the B. Clinical Science or any med science degree would be fine.

It's kind of hard to find a 'winning solution' to your problem. You are preparing for the possibility that your only degree will be med science, and whilst I understand that- I don't think that's necessarily going to happen. All I know is that med science degrees have helped prospective med students with GAMSAT and interviews. If medicine is in your heart, go for it.

I think a B. Science will allow you to take subjects in a range of areas that affect the human body. But if you think it's too insecure, that's also fine.

Do you think you'd do well in a med science degree? Asking cause I'm getting the impression that you think you may not succeed. You may be surprised. If you don't think that, then I suggest you revise your strategy and study techniques before you start any degree.

andrew12678

HSC
Ive considered it but i've also heard that B science is even more bleak in jobs than others but correct me if im wrong.

Bu tbh all that matters is how effective the degree would be at preparing me for med and if it would make the application process any easier
Bachelor of Science with a useful major eg. Data Science, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Financial Mathematics and Statistics (aka anything outside the 'medical science'/natural science majors) is definitely not bleak in jobs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)