Thread: Getting into Medicine

HSC

Getting into Medicine

Do I need prior work experience in the medical field to be pass an interview for Medicine in UNSW/WSU (or any other uni in NSW)

HSC

Re: Getting into Medicine

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke View Post
    Do I need prior work experience in the medical field to be pass an interview for Medicine in UNSW/WSU (or any other uni in NSW)
    Nope
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

HSC
    N/A

part of your medical degree already requires a compulsory 2 year internship or something

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

nah but like if you did work experience at like a medical clinic and/or hospital it helps in answering interview questions but any prior work experience can be related to anything just depends on how you phrase it

HSC

Not at all
    James Ruse 2011 - ATAR 99.80; State ranks in Agriculture, Chemistry, Biology; Australian Student Prize
    MBBS(Hons) 2017 | Monash University

HSC

You don't need it. However, having work experience (in any field) or life experience in general is always beneficial since it tells the examiner that you know what you're doing. A five year old could say that they're passionate for medicine, but how could they know that unless they've done a bit of practical research into possible careers?

Ultimately, it also comes down to what you've learnt from these experiences. Learning to deal with customers in a small job is better than going on a hospital placement for work experience and having nothing to say about it. Interviewers don't expect you to have medical experience, so it's more important to think about what you've learnt and mistakes you've made from previous experiences!

Thread Information