UMAT as an ESL student? (1 Viewer)

mujihuz

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone. I'll get straight to the point. I'm a yr12 student aiming to do med in UNSW (Its my only option since I do general maths)
2 questions I had:
1- I used atar calculators to predict my atar based on my half yearly results and I got an atar of 98.5 . My question is, can this be improved to 99+ even though i'm not first in some of my subjects?

2- Say I get an atar of 98 and it would be OK for med (I go to a disadvantaged school + i'm a refugee). Should i take a gap year and resit the UMAT? if so, what should my score be? ( I have signed up for umat this year, but i'm not prepared at all hence i know i'm gonna do very very bad).

Please tell me as much as you know to help me with this matter. Medicine is what I yearn to study and would do anything to get into it, but my English skills are very poor for UMAT.

iStudent

HSC
1. Externals are worth 50%, so it could be done
2. I wouldn't take a gap year, but it is your call. The chances are against you because 98 is probably *just* the minimum so you would need a really really good UMAT interview to make it in. I'd imagine at least a 95 UMAT to be competitive (you'll probably *just* get an interview with a 90 though).

You have a month - do a few practice papers to get a feel for the pace of the exam and see how you go. :)

mujihuz

HSC
N/A
1. Externals are worth 50%, so it could be done
2. I wouldn't take a gap year, but it is your call. The chances are against you because 98 is probably *just* the minimum so you would need a really really good UMAT interview to make it in. I'd imagine at least a 95 UMAT to be competitive (you'll probably *just* get an interview with a 90 though).

You have a month - do a few practice papers to get a feel for the pace of the exam and see how you go. :)
let assume I don't get an interview and don't get into the course this year due to all obvious reasons.
UNSW offers a graduate entry into med through Medical Science. However it is limited to top 10 students of the course in the first 2 years. I am the top student in a 300 ranked school in NSW. Do you think i would have any chance of getting among the top 10 in medical science? (I'm getting 97+ in my bio and chem)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
let assume I don't get an interview and don't get into the course this year due to all obvious reasons.
UNSW offers a graduate entry into med through Medical Science. However it is limited to top 10 students of the course in the first 2 years. I am the top student in a 300 ranked school in NSW. Do you think i would have any chance of getting among the top 10 in medical science? (I'm getting 97+ in my bio and chem)
Can't judge from high school it's different to uni but keep in mind 80% (random guess) of med sci students are doing it to get into med

iStudent

HSC
Well I graduated as the top student from a 300 ranked school myself. lol
Although, probably wouldn't bank on getting top 10 in med sci - it's too competitive and unpredictable (also you still need to pass UMAT/interview iirc)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)