hrm, pure curiousity (1 Viewer)

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
hrm, is it possible to transfer to medicine AFTER doing UMAT/interview (and not making ofcourse)?

like, you go into a related degree (pharmacy, for all I know), then switch WITHOUT having to give another umat type thingo?

and if so, what be the more famous alternatives?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
no unless the med course does not use UMAT for admissions e.g JCU

ADEL does not allow non yr 12 enterants lik ppl who commence a degree... and same wit melb i believe

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i thought it was same application process for NRSLs but they count your uni results too... so use your old UMAT score (valid for two years remember), HSC/uni results and then a new interview... best to ask lexicographer.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
tru as umat cut off scores every year change based on demand.. since interviews are given to top X number of ppl..

the Best thing to do.. is not to commence another course.. take a year off? work as an orderly at hospital... and study in spare time.. one of the best students did this..

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
That's only the best thing to do if your UAI is safely within the acceptable limits (ie about 98.00 or higher).

As for the original question, the only way you can "transfer" to medicine (and this is already an extremely rare occassion) is if you're already in one medical course trying to move to another one. Otherwise you're just gaining admission, like any other applicant. Medical Schools tend not to give advanced standing for anything, often not even other medical study. No matter how "related" your field may seem, they'll make you do the whole course without exemptions.

Now, that doesn't seem to have answered anything at all. :p Basically, there's nothing that you can do to permanently exclude the average joe from Medical study except giving up (and child protection legislation etc). You can just keep trying every year until they eventually accept you - so if you don't make it after year 12 you can go to uni, get good marks and apply again (as I'm attempting to do). It wouldn't be a bad idea to take the UMAT again, since you're bound to improve your score.

Oh, I just realised you may not have taken it at all. For all undergraduate medical schools except JCU you need to sit the UMAT in order to be considered for a place. If you did that but weren't offered a place, your UMAT is still valid the next year in case you want to apply again, so you don't have to sit it every year and fork out the pile of cash (just every second year).

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Well, you were covering your face! And you hit my nose anyway.

Anyway, my UMAT scores last year were [88:96:62] so as you can see I had plenty of room for improvement. My goal this year was to get every section within the 10th percentile (ie above 90) and hopefully I pulled it off! :)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yes...robert hit kimmehs tits with his balls...lol

inasero

Reborn
HSC
lol...and asy has one of them in his mouth!

inasero

Reborn
HSC
and how will you give me these balls?
cos im pretty sure sending by mail is out of the question...

AK Gumbi

Not a M-O-Derator
HSC
Hey Willy, hows it going?
Yeah Kimmeh, i go to Monash...everything's cool there...xcept Willy of course, haha jk ;) Willy is cool and he roxorz my socks, I on the other hand am the epitome of uncool- I wear socks with my sandals :)

Last edited by a moderator:

AK Gumbi

Not a M-O-Derator
HSC
haha Willy...abusing ur mod powers, r we now?! haha...and shhhh abt that sandals thing.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
ey i fell of my bike doing a wheelie...i think i fractured my pisiform or my hamate on my right hand...not sure which...it hurts to write or type!

musculoskeletal:
1) appearance = normal
2) flexion and ulnar deviation = painful
passive supination = painful, with obvious crepitus and clicking sound

please provide DDx anyone :(

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
ddx
-tendon strain
not a full tear.. cos that has little pain and u lose that deviation altogether
no bruising- less likly superficial muscule damage..
crepitus and clicking are normal due to gas within joint.. sounds are made by fluid/gas interaction
see to figure which tendon u move in all directions and note the one that causes the most pain.. then it should be the opposite

ice/heat treatment (alternate every 20mins) and painkillers.. low doseage of NSAIDs volatren gel.. or in ure case suppository ;) cos i kno ud enjoy it..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)