Study Regime? (1 Viewer)

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
What study regime did all the guys and gals that got into medicine have while doing the HSC? Did any of you do really bad in the preliminary and then end up doing very well after a personal evaluation of yourself?

Also I have heard Medicine isn't that difficult once you get in, is this true?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
:| my uni exams hav started.. i got 3 pracs and 4 written over 1 month... the 4 written are over 1 week...

depends which uni u end up doing med... in UNSW u get 1 final exam for yr 1 and continual assessments thru out the yr
in adel its 3 final written and continual assessments.. ure not allowed to fail any part that is summative.. and u get to redo a couple of formative assessments..

so the answer from me? .. it depends where u are.. and wat u find difficult.. if u hav no ideas about wat the hell "supplies 'the right cerebral motor cortex' when right carotids are blocked".. u will hav trouble..

in HSC.. most ppl studied well thru out the year.. i had bad prelims.. and some ppl do..

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
I am only doing one science subject, and thats biology. Was that a bad choice? Would chemistry have been better?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
err... chem is necessary for monash's interview..

otherwise.. bio is good.. just in med

physics of fractures, pressures (very little in med.. but forms basis for physiology)
Chem of hormones, understanding cellular bonding..e.g DNA, homeostasis of systems (makes med easier but not super important)
Bio is good.. has a lot concepts especially when u start that help..

actualli u realli dun even need science to start med if ure determined enough.. and enjoyin science would be a huge plus.. :) cos in med.. ure goin to be doing it for a long time..

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
Well I would really love to get into the medical field, not as a GP though.

I probably never will though, as im really shit at maths. It really holds me back in so many subjects that I am good at, but cant do because of the maths. Everytime I try to improve my maths there is always a set back. I mean at the moment I am in a class full of inconsiderate pricks who aren't in class to do MATHS, but to do god knows what else.

I don't know why schools allow these pricks to stay in school at the HSC level.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
dun worri not many ppl do much maths in med its useful but u got plenty of references

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
:) It's interesting you should ask that question. I don't know which school you go to, but the hardest thing for a school to do is kick someone out on academic grounds. In fact, they can't. Even selective schools aren't allowed to kick you out simply because you're not working hard enough/performing in class. And if you're in a generic comprehensive high school, well, it just won't happen. The only way to get rid of a kid is if they stab someone or do drugs (and even that isn't sure these days).

Anyway, maths is vital for science students but not med students. In science you generally have to take each major field in first year, with the most maths being required in Physics and Chemistry (calculus on both counts). I am told by my biology major friends (as well as Med Sci) that they focus more on Statistics. Actual Medical Students seem not to worry so much about the scientific side of medicine beyond the knowledge needed to understand, diagnose and treat disease.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Also I have heard Medicine isn't that difficult once you get in, is this true?
err...i don't think so...its in fact the other way around...its getting in thats easy but getting though thats difficult

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
another thing is that HSC n UMATs + interviews are not exactly perfect at choosing candidates for medicine..
cos alot of ppl cant cope with the new self-directed learning of med at the universities..
its very different to normal courses.. i kno.. cos i do an elective.. in the traditional style..

so the HSC and Uni are different ball games.. very difficult to compare success in yr 12 to how well u do in uni.. honestly.. noone gives a f*ck that u fail

Last edited:

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
inasero said:
err...i don't think so...its in fact the other way around...its getting in thats easy but getting though thats difficult
Anything is difficult. Just depends on what your goals and interests are. If someone is very interested in medicine, im quite sure they would find it easy.

I am very interested in science, but I'm not exactly sure what area. Im very confused.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yeah true...but anatomy isnt exactly that easy to get excited about.youll see what i mean if you do med

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
lolz 'interested in science' is a hopeless thing
u will quickly realise which branches of science are boring especially those associated with medicine..

no offense but i think histology is a tad bit on the dull side.. cos its so hard to figure..

me:"because of the cilia, this is the epithelium of the trachea or bronchi of the lungs"
tutor: "nope, not even close..."
me: "[countless profanities] how the f*ck that the vagina?!"
*i storm out of the room*

Last edited:

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
They should have MEDICINE as an HSC subject.

I know that seems pretty broad, but at the very basic levels. I know the schools wouldn't be able to have dead bodies there to cut open, but you know what I mean.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
lets say thats why in the US there is pre-med.. its like a full degree

wait.. why arent u sleeping?
its lik 1:15.. :|

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
Because I dont have HSC exams this year :p

Im actually learning about Enzymes (for bio).

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
oh shit okok
well im studying bout the pathphysiology of atrial fibrillations..

btw med is an art too..esp clinical skills.. talkin to a person and eliciting appropriate responses can be hard

med student: "wat has brought u in?"
person #1: "a car" :|

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
My mum is a registered nurse.

She works in a regional hospital (very small). She and a few other RN's kept a girl who had been guttered alive for 3 hours without a doctor even being there. That girl had been in a truck accedent (in the truck with her father). Her intestines were literally hanging out (from what I heard).

She died, and probably a good thing. Her life wouldn't have been worth living if she had been saved. So many internal injuries. She was 7.

These are also clinical skills.

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yer tats very tru.. oh and so is surgery.. because its about a subjective issue.. "appearances"

our clinical skills in yr 1 of med here is co-ordinated by a nurse..

doctors arent superpeople.. i dun think that medical doctors could do any better than the RN's.. being gutted has a pretti poor prognosis.. its how the Japanese Samurais 'honourably' suicide.. it is very VERY painful.. and destroys all the vessels in the intestinal mesentry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)