Preparing for UMAT (1 Viewer)

D

d00d

hello there, i'm amongst the 2000 ambitious students that each year apply for medicine :cool:

from what i've heard, the UMAT is the hardest to pass.

so i'd like to know if there are any resources to prepare for it, e.g. past papers, lectures?

thx in advance

Twintip

I will probably do the test too even though med won't be my no.1 preference.

I searched for a while the other day and these sample questions were all I could find. Acer, the people who run it, say in their FAQ section...

"Are there any sample question booklets, past papers or preparation courses available?

There are no sample question booklets or past papers available from ACER or the UMAT Consortium universities. A few sample questions are included in the UMAT Information Booklet to give candidates an understanding of the style of questions in the test. Other sample questions are available on this website (please refer to the menu on the left).

UMAT preparation courses do exist. However, these are commercial ventures and are not endorsed or recommended by ACER or the UMAT Consortium universities. ACER, as the agency responsible for UMAT development, is not involved in the development of any commercially available preparation courses or materials and cannot provide advice about their relevance or usefulness. Candidates who enrol or purchase materials do so at their own risk."

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by d00d
hello there, i'm amongst the 2000 ambitious students that each year apply for medicine :cool:

from what i've heard, the UMAT is the hardest to pass.

so i'd like to know if there are any resources to prepare for it, e.g. past papers, lectures?

thx in advance
u can't prepare for it, only to hope for the best. Even if u don't pass UMAT you realise that u can still do medicine at Usyd as a graduate student?

Personally, I failed UMAT (I thought I nailed it initially) miserably even though I scored pretty well in terms of UAI.

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
check your user cp, i sent you some UMAT tips

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
can you do UMAT even if you don't wanna do med, like just to see how you would go???

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by YEAR12
can you do UMAT even if you don't wanna do med, like just to see how you would go???
Yeah, but that is pretty stupid don't you think? Unless of course youi got bucketloads of money to burn, the test costs $120.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
I wanna try for UMAT too... my family doctor said that some of her friends are the actual interviewers for UMAT and that they could talk to me and help me prepare.. but I don't wanna do it because it feels wrong, you know? I mean, they're meant to be testing me on my personality and you can't exactly prepare for that.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by BaByDoLL11^^
Luigi: could you send to me too? THanks. :D
I don't think it's possible to prepare for it really, if u do well u do well, if u go crap then you go crap, there's always other alternatives to studying medicine without having to do UMAT.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Yeah that's true, but you know what they say - better to be safe than sorry. And besides.. i really wanna do Medicine at UNSW... taking the other routes (like doing another course and transferring) seems too long.

Yes, I'm an impatient person.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Yeah that's true, but you know what they say - better to be safe than sorry. And besides.. i really wanna do Medicine at UNSW... taking the other routes (like doing another course and transferring) seems too long.

Yes, I'm an impatient person.
Doing the UMAT test alone isn't all that safe either. Even really smart, high 98 and 99 uai people fail the test, so there's no guarantee. plus u must also pass the interview and get a high UAI.

U can do med at Usyd as a graduate student (3 years for first degree) then 4 years for the medicine degree, so 7 years in total.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
But don't the universities use UMAT sorta as a thing to see whether youre suitable even in post-graduate? Or is it different then?

Twintip

Only the following Universities require UMAT to study med:

- Adelaide University medicine, dental surgery, oral health
- Monash University medicine
- The University of Melbourne - medicine, dental science, - physiotherapy, oral health therapy
- The University of Newcastle - medicine
- The University of New South Wales - medicine
- The University of Otago (New Zealand) - medicine
- The University of Queensland - medicine (Year 12 conditional entry)
- University of Tasmania - medicine
- The University of Western Australia medicine, dentistry

Sydney Uni doesn't use UMAT, it is post-grad. I'm not sure what you are saying. :confused:

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
But don't the universities use UMAT sorta as a thing to see whether youre suitable even in post-graduate? Or is it different then?
No UMAT is only used for undergraduate admission to medicine in UNSW and newcastle. If u wanted to do medicine as a graduate student say at Usyd you would still have to sit a GAMSTAT test (but u can adequately prepare for this if u did a science degree because it tests you on chemistry, physics and biology). I would think u would have a better chance of getting in that way.

U should still give UMAT a try but there are definitely other ways to do medicine if say, u don't happen to get to do med as an undergraduate student.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Hmmm ok. Learnt something new today. Thanks Ultimate :D

Has anyone ever done the UMAT before? What exactly is it like?

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Hmmm ok. Learnt something new today. Thanks Ultimate :D

Has anyone ever done the UMAT before? What exactly is it like?
I did it last year, there are three sections:

Section 1: Logical responses (give u long winded descriptions and u are given multiple choice answers)
Section 2: Tests your personality like how you would respond in certain situations.
Section 3: Trying to find certain shapes like a puzzle thingy (the hardest part of the exam).

I failed all of them lol :p

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Hmm izzert?

Is it one of those things where the (seemingly) obvious answer is the wrong one? Where they try to trick you?

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Hmm izzert?

Is it one of those things where the (seemingly) obvious answer is the wrong one? Where they try to trick you?
That's the impression I got when I received my UMAT results ( I thought I did quite reasonable in the exam).

I thought the answers to the personal response questions were blatantly obvious but obviously I was wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)