need help (1 Viewer)

dawma88

Dance jew dance!!!
HSC
N/A
hi everyone,
im currently going into yr 12 (2005), and i really want to do medicine. but havent researched it much. so i was wondering if any of u guys could help me out with a few questions.

firstly, i would like to know how to apply for the UMAT test and also a prep course for it. also when does UMAT and prep courses start....cause i heard they start quite early
like march-june. furtheremore, i would like to know, when the uni's start the interviews (i.e do u have to apply to certain uni's to get an interview, when do they call you up, do you have to do UMAt in order to get an interview, interview length and what kind of questions do they ask).\

additionally, i have heard some ppl get into med with low UAI's ( apart from the ppl who live in rural areas). dont you need UAI s of 99.xx or something simialr?...some ppl get in med with UAI of 90-95...is this this true??????

plus, im not a rich guy, so i was wondering if some uni s let u pay your HECS after you start working or do u need to take a loan or does centrelink pay you??

thats about it for now...

thanx alot

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
well you can apply for the umat on the acer website (the people who make the test). it is usually at the end of july.

there are heaps of prep courses .some you have to attend a couple of lectures. many of the courses do start early and the earlier the better but some of the lectures are quite soon before the test.

different unis start interviews at different times. unsw did theres in september i think, while newcastle and others do them after you get your uai. you must do umat to get an interview. it is very important. some interviews go for about 45+ mins and the different unis have different interview styles. some ask about family and reasons for wanting to do med to see if you are suited.

not too many people get in with low uais at unsw but at newcastle if you get over 93.8 you are considered even with a person with 100. the umat is what gets you the interview after that. and the umat is then used to discriminate between applicants after interview (so i have heard). at unsw most people are around 99 but if you nail umat you can get in with 95.

with hecs you can only start to pay it of if you earn enough money. im not sure how much though.

hope that helps a bit

good luck

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
lukebennett said:
with hecs you can only start to pay it of if you earn enough money. im not sure how much though.
Yeah don't worry about HECS now, there should be a booklet for you around mid year on HECS, if you really want to research early then go to www.hecs.gov.au and it has everything you need.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
with money med is EXPENSIVE!!!
even with HECS

usualli its because of textbooks.. equipment etc.
low interest credit card also available..

if u want to there are alot of low-interest loans for med students (from a registered med school).. I believe there are with the NAB.
lik other uni students,, possibly go on austudy..

interview questions also include ure perception of med, ure ways of dealing with stress/challenges, others perception of u, etc..

dawma88

Dance jew dance!!!
HSC
N/A
thanx for the info, most appreciated

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)