Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Paths into Australian Medicine - Flowchart

Retired 13 May 2006 Lexicographer's Avatar
    HSC

Paths into Australian Medicine - Flowchart

Hi everyone. Over the years I have been getting a number of questions regarding the various paths into Australian Medicine. For your convenience I have drawn up this fancy flowchart which should be EXTREMELY CLEAR to anyone with the intellect to handle medical study.

However, I have realised it is flawed. In my laziness I neglected to put in the pathway for Melbourne and Tasmania, which do not interview. So! Clever people that you are, I know that you'll just skip the "Interview" condition where not applicable.

I have also not included things such as direct application forms, GPA requirements, cutoffs or CV/Interview forms. I am not your mother, and will most certainly not do ALL the work for you. These are things you'll need to research on the individual university websites...that, or wait for me to procrastinate again and write another comprehensive guide on all the undergraduate schools. Until then though, you've got my flowchart and Wilson's stickies.

Good luck!

-R

New guide and flow chart by the AMA: Becoming a doctor and bonded medical school places - a guide for prospective medical students | Australian Medical Association
    Last edited by Wooz; 11 Jan 2009 at 7:32 AM.
    No longer active as of 13 May 2006

HSC
    yep good summary!
    the only exception i can think of other than the one you pointed out already is that if you dont get in the undergraduate way you dont necessarily have to wait until GAMSAT comes around, if you apply to transfer to UNSW medicine (but this is very competitive).

Otherwise, all is well!

HSC
    I left out the "transfer" method because it's the same as undergraduate entry, only with some complicated combination of UAI and GPA, varying between each school. It's definitely not just UNSW though, Bob_J got into Newcastle after two years of BSc (Adv).

Retired
    HSC
    N/A
    Yeh but that is not that much of an issue, as its not too hard to get a selection rank of >93.8. That would be a mid credit average right?

HSC
    For Newcastle? The academic criterion for university students is completely seperate from their school performance. A "close to credit average" is required for students with an incomplete Bachelor's level tertiary record. For Bachelor's degree holders, the requirement is "better than pass average".

HSC
    yep, well that's what they say

most uni students i know got D avg or better though so don't be fooled and go for top marks when applying
    Time flys like an arrow, fruit flys like a banana

Retired
    HSC
    N/A
    Yeh just like unsws minimum 95.00 uai.

HSC
    Ah but Newcastle don't actually include the academic performance in the final selection criteria, it's just a matter of getting at least this much is required for eligibility?

By my understanding it is the interview rank which determines the selection schedule (candidates with the same interview performance are subranked by UMAT). There is no mention of the way in which GPA, WAM or any other academic measure is used.

HSC

Re: Paths into Australian Medicine - Flowchart

what is a JUC interview? (refering to the flowchart)

HSC

its suppose to be JCU interview.. JCU being james cook university in townsville, QLD
    I take no responsibility for this post's content

HSC

Hey thats great information !! i like it
    EMR and EHR

HSC

ok so...just to clear this up for me-
    say hypothetically...
    i am in 2nd yr of Bsc...currently on a high credit average, hopefully if all goes to plan should be on D average later this year..or the end ha
    and didnt make the UAI cutoff coz i was imature and culdnt focus on my HSC...
    can i do the UMAT and try for undergrad entry at newcastle?
    pretty much-im in 2nd year of uni, does my uai still count towards my application for undergrad med at newcastle?

^wooz*y^
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by freq707 View Post
    ok so...just to clear this up for me-
    say hypothetically...
    i am in 2nd yr of Bsc...currently on a high credit average, hopefully if all goes to plan should be on D average later this year..or the end ha
    and didnt make the UAI cutoff coz i was imature and culdnt focus on my HSC...
    can i do the UMAT and try for undergrad entry at newcastle?
    pretty much-im in 2nd year of uni, does my uai still count towards my application for undergrad med at newcastle?
    Q answered in your other post and yes you can sit umat and try for entry at the following universities as a non-standard (i.e. a student who has undertaken university studies): UWA, UNSW, Bond, UWS, UNCLE/UNE, JCU. Bond (full-fee), UWS, UNCLE/UNE, JCU will only look at your GPA only as you have undertaken 1 or more years of university studies, all of these uni's except Bond have a Credit or near credit average threshold i.e. once you get above 5 or 5.5, etc they only look at your umat score to determine whether you are successful for an interview/offer for medicine.

Please also see: UMAT - Home
    Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery IV

HSC

oh wow
    thats seriously awesome
    idealy ill end up at newcastle..as its only an hour from my place, where as uws will take forever! its already a good 2hr 20mins for me to get to UNSW lol

now theres only 2 things left to do,
    keep my gpa where it is, or even better-get it higher (i wuld love to be on a D average )
    actually somehow manage to ace the umat...with no money for prep course...not sure what do to there

^wooz*y^
    HSC

Please check this forum out, it may aid you in preparation and improvement for UMAT: UMAT - Med Students Online
    Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery IV

HSC

i had a look there, thanks

cannot emphasise how much im stressing about umat right now..just found out and have never looked at or considered it before today...
    got some F2F stuff from...a friend...legally...to look at
    weird questions! haha
    section 1 i already know my flaw - i am to quick to make assumptions
    section 2 - seems some answer are easy to eliminate...just have to pick the one that is actually expressed in the extract
    section 3 - the patterns in each form of question given seem to be ok to pick up on

but---reading some problems ppl had with some sample questions they had...the hardest ones were like riddles that you had to work out....reeeally hard like ones haha
    3months-ish to prepare....i just pray that its enough time

HSC
    N/A

it definitely is enuff time if u start now. i did most of the work in the april holidays and in the 2 months leading up since i hadnt felt the pressure till then. the earlier u prepare, the better. so start now if u can. just remember, this is the first hurdle, if u stuff it up, ur high GPA counts for nothing and you wont even get a shot at the spectacular-interview-to-be.

<------------REP ME!!!

HMO II

HSC

yer very true...
    hence why i need to ace this first time round sooo to anyone that reads this, any material you have that could help me-i will publicly declare my love for you if you can send it my way hahaha

otherwise it's gamsat next year and im nooooot keen on the idea of that lol

Cadet
    HSC

i was wondering if it's possible to get into Med if you do Bio-med. someone pls tell me. well i know i not goona be one of those ppl you'll get into med straight away but i want to get there some how.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by desh15 View Post
    i was wondering if it's possible to get into Med if you do Bio-med. someone pls tell me. well i know i not goona be one of those ppl you'll get into med straight away but i want to get there some how.
    Why do you think you wont get in straight away?
    You only need 93 ATAR + a decent UMAT.
    UNSW B MED SCI

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by nottellingu View Post
    Why do you think you wont get in straight away?
    You only need 93 ATAR + a decent UMAT.
    That is quite true however it is not as easy as implied. Why do you think you won't be able to get in after high school? what do you think will be holding you back?

Although you may really want to get into medicine, I would strongly advise against doing a degree that you see as a "pathway" into medicine. If you do not particularly enjoy studying this and hence your sole reason would be "to get into medicine" you are short changing yourself. Just imagine the amount of people who are thinking the exact same as you. The competition will be high and the stakes are weighed negatively in your favor.

My back-up, which I accepted before I got a late-round offer, was Physiotherapy at USYD. I chose physio because I actually enjoyed learning about how the muscles and the physiology of the body work. So please do yourself a favor and choose a back up that you would enjoy doing.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Sainteced View Post
    That is quite true however it is not as easy as implied. Why do you think you won't be able to get in after high school? what do you think will be holding you back?

Although you may really want to get into medicine, I would strongly advise against doing a degree that you see as a "pathway" into medicine. If you do not particularly enjoy studying this and hence your sole reason would be "to get into medicine" you are short changing yourself. Just imagine the amount of people who are thinking the exact same as you. The competition will be high and the stakes are weighed negatively in your favor.

My back-up, which I accepted before I got a late-round offer, was Physiotherapy at USYD. I chose physio because I actually enjoyed learning about how the muscles and the physiology of the body work. So please do yourself a favor and choose a back up that you would enjoy doing.
    +1

HSC
    N/A

Hi, I got some promotional email from NIE and it says that some medical schools only look at UMAT score to offer interviews and do not look at ATAR. I am not aware of any such. Does anyone know about it?

Executive Member
    HSC

That would be true for universities that offer first round interviews - which are conducted before ATAR results are released (and hence they only look at UMAT score, even though they may end up using ATAR in their final selection process).

UWS, UNSW, JMP just to name a few (although, some of these do require an "estimated" atar I guess?)
    CHEM + PHYS TRIAL QUESTIONS SORTED BY DOT POINT
    http://community.boredofstudies.org/...t-answers.html

EXAM RESPONSES + FREE NOTES (99.90)
    http://community.boredofstudies.org/...m-phys%5D.html

HSC
    Uni Grad

Yeah, you still have to submit your estimated ATAR :P I did this for Monash Uni.

However, I think now interstate students (if they do not request to have an interview before ATARs are out) would have interviews only after their ATAR and UMAT results are known !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information