Discrete maths in first semester or second semester (1 Viewer)

Thosethatrun

HSC
I'm going into first year compsci/commerce and I've been worrying about discrete maths and whether I should do it in first semester or second semester. General consensus is that discrete maths is really hard and I'm not sure if I should do it straight away, or lead up to it in second semester.

Points for doing discrete maths in first semester:
  • Get it over and done with
  • You have February to prepare for it
  • Most people are doing it at that time

Points for doing discrete maths in second semester:
  • You have been at uni for one semester so you should have some sort of routine which will make life easier(?)
  • Apparently second semester tests are easier
  • Not having to do it in first semester means you won't be too shocked with uni

But I am interested in seeing what others think. Do think you should do discrete maths in first or second semester? If you've had experience with it, or have preferences please let me know and maybe the reasons why if you're are feeling nice.

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Most of my comp sci/software m8's did it second sem??

lolwot

HSC
I did it last year in second semester and thought it was a good idea. Adding to your above points some Discrete content overlaps with both MATH1231 and COMP1927 quite nicely as well.

Last edited:

Thosethatrun

HSC
sadly, as I tried to change to another commerce core, everything in my timetable stuffs up! I'll probably have to do more fiddling. I'm veering towards second semester now, but I'll have to see how I can make it work

Thief

!!
HSC
Discrete maths is gross. Feels good to get it over and done with in the first semester though. Just do whatever works best for your timetable.

Thosethatrun

HSC
oh dear, just when I change to management instead. Thank you for your input though, I think I'll do it second semester/I will do it second semester since I have to do it first year. But everything turned out fine and I now have a way better timetable (because commerce contact hours are so much less) and I can hopefully do some reading/learning maths before (I have the discrete maths book, a hand-me-down from a rare type of person who actually enjoyed discrete maths)

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm doing MATH1081 (Discrete Math) this semester, but I would do it Semester 2 purely because of the lecturer (David Angell - the best lecturer for MATH1081 there is), but I guess Trenery and Wildberger would be alright.

Well I'm taking it this semester because I'll be taking MATH3411 (Information, Codes and Ciphers) and that is a prerequisite of MATH1081. Also will be doing COMP1927 and COMP2041 during the second semester as well - which to me I can expect to be quite difficult courses throughout.

Thosethatrun

HSC
oh okay. thanks for telling me :) How do you know that David Angell is taking discrete maths next semester?

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
oh okay. thanks for telling me :) How do you know that David Angell is taking discrete maths next semester?
He told that he'll most likely be taking it 2nd semester, along with some other bloke, Jim Franklin. Having that said, he's been teaching in 2nd semester for a couple years now in a row.

brad1

HSC
N/A
Could someone outline about the difficulty of MATH 1A vs Discrete Math please?

I've already done Discrete Math, so I'm just curious what others thought about the difference.

Would you say that Math 1A required a LOT of assumed knowledge? Would you say the same about Discrete Math?

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC

I've already done Discrete Math, so I'm just curious what others thought about the difference.

Would you say that Math 1A required a LOT of assumed knowledge? Would you say the same about Discrete Math?
All my m8's say Discrete Math is harder cause its a lot more ambigious and their MATH1A/B marks were higher than discrete, and some r math majors

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad

There is a lot of using proof type questions in MATH1081 as opposed to MATH1131/41. I think the only part in MATH1081 is assumed from 3U is Mathematical Induction? For the most part, its new stuff and is quite important to Computer Science (ie. graph theory/trees - which you will use in 2nd semester COMP1927 - Computing 2).

For MATH1131/41 - its mostly revision from HSC 3U, with just a few new topics (ie. Hyperbolic functions, Vector geometry, Linear equations and matrices).

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
Discrete is easier if you're good at maths. In a sense, it's more pure. MATH11x1 is easier if you're good at memorising techniques.

brad1

HSC
N/A
Thanks for that.

I only got a 65ish in Discrete Math (with no math background at all. I couldn't quite get most induction questions.), but I've studied a decent amount of math since I took it a year ago. I'm just worried about 1A as my Algebra skills are quite poor and I'm guessing I'll need them far more in 1A than I did in Discrete Math - right?

I'll wait and see til' after the bridging course to see whether I go straight into 1A or do the newby fundamentals thing. Only aiming to pass to be honest.

Thosethatrun

HSC
Now that it's time to enrol again (well soonish) I thought it'd be nice to update this thread. I'm doing discrete maths next semester (semester two) and true to sirable's word, Prof JW Franklin and Dr DD Angell are taking it. I had Angell for math1131 so at least I know how he teaches.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
Now that it's time to enrol again (well soonish) I thought it'd be nice to update this thread. I'm doing discrete maths next semester (semester two) and true to sirable's word, Prof JW Franklin and Dr DD Angell are taking it. I had Angell for math1131 so at least I know how he teaches.
angell is far far better teaching discrete then he is for 1131

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)