Request to waive prerequisites (1 Viewer)

lzlzlz

HSC
I'm transferring to UNSW CSE from Macquarie BIT. I will be applying for credit transfer, although first year COMP courses at UNSW cover different material so I don't know if I will get advanced standing. In that case, how should I apply to get prerequisites waived for a COMP course? Many COMP courses have COMP1917 and COMP1927 as prerequisites, and I don't want to wait until second year to take those units. I've downloaded the application form (http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/opencms/...dent-services/downloads/Requisites_Waiver.pdf), should I also get in contact with the lecturer of the course I want to enroll in? What do I need to prove that I'm capable of passing the course? I'm also interested in whether anybody has gotten prerequisites waived for a COMP unit.

brad1

HSC
N/A
Interested as I will probably do the same.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Apply with that document. I would say that some courses you will find it extremely difficult to waive into this way. However, you still have to remember that you have to obtain credit for MATH1141, MATH1241 and MATH1081 equivalents which you might/might not have done previously. If you can't obtain the credit for these units as having completed them prior, then you have to do these courses too.

You should contact your program coordinator from CSE and meet up with them to talk about it.

https://my.cse.unsw.edu.au/staff/staff.php?ID=Academic

Depending on what you are doing, you could possibly contact Alan Blair, Bruno Gaeta or Hui Annie Guo and talk to them about the plan you want to follow for your program.

lzlzlz

HSC
I've taken a Discrete Mathematics course which seems to align almost 100 percent with MATH1081, so I should be able to get advanced standing for that unit. I will need to do MATH1131 and MATH1241. I studied vectors and matrices in DMTH137, so I should be prepared for linear algebra in MATH1131.

brad1

HSC
N/A
Did you get this sorted lzlzlz?

I heard it was done with a simple email. Did you have to print that form and get it signed by a course authority and student office?

lzlzlz

HSC
I haven't applied for a waiver yet. I actually got advanced standing for COMP1917 and MATH1081, so I should just need COMP1927 waived. I want to enroll in COMP2911 this semester because it's a prerequisite for many COMP courses, and it seems to only run in Semester 1.

brad1

HSC
N/A
Grats on the 1917 credit. I wasn't so lucky, so I'll do both 1917 and 1927 in semester 1.

Sucks that I won't be able to do Distributed Systems since I can't get the prerequisites done in time. That is, unless I also do Operating Systems this sem, and that's probably a bad idea.

lzlzlz

HSC
Did you get COMP1917 waived, then? Also, where did you transfer from not to get credit for COMP1917?

brad1

HSC
N/A
I've not tried to get anything waived yet, I'll email them about it first I guess, and UWS. I got credit for (all) 8 subjects including Discrete, just not 1917 specifically. I wouldn't have given me credit either though.

Last edited:

lzlzlz

HSC
Do you think you'll go on to study Advanced Operating Systems? I'll most likely take Operating Systems next year.

brad1

HSC
N/A
I have Operating Systems in my course plan for next year, so I think I'll see how I like that before I decide.

So many things I want to do, I almost wish I didn't get credit for everything and had to extend my degree by an extra semester...

lzlzlz

HSC
Honours is an option if you want to study further.

brad1

HSC
N/A
lzlzlz, this seems like relevant information for you.

Hi Bradley,

Please note that we do not waive core courses, this means that you will need to
complete COMP1917 as you are a Computer Science student.

Kind regards,
I thought she misunderstood, so I sent

Hi ------,

I will be completing COMP1917. I simply wish to waive the prerequisite so I can do COMP1927 at the same time.

Regards,
Bradley

Hi Bradley,

Unfortunately this is not possible and you will need to follow the prereq chain i.e.
successfully complete COMP1917 prior to enrolling in COMP1927.

Kind regards,
I did not know this was the case... in fact I hardly even believe her. She was 100% correct about my credit transfer though. I'll still look further I guess.

------------------------------

Lecturer of COMP1927 said

They probably won't let you take both of them together
so he's not familiar with people doing that.

------------------------------

Someone else on this same forum posted

Also if you felt game for trying other COMP courses, you could always try getting the prerequisite waived for that course (e.g. I got COMP1927 waived in first sem 2013 and did COMP2121, it was great). Lecturers usually will want some evidence that you'll be able to keep up with the course though.

Last edited:

ismeta

HSC
Someone else on this same forum posted

That sort of sounds like something I'd say. Maybe it wasn't, but yeah, COMP2121 is one of the core courses whose prerequisites you can get waived. I haven't heard of anyone waiving the COMP1917 requirement for COMP1927 (in my two years @ CSE). You could try and ask the lecturer though, see how that goes - couldn't hurt.

brad1

HSC
N/A
I think I'll just do it the normal way. I don't gain as much as I thought by doing both at once. If I don't do both at the same time then I'll just have to take one elective that is unrelated to my degree, which isn't tooo bad.

Going to be a strange semester as a 2nd year Comp Sci student with one programming subject that I have already done all the labs/assignments for... Should learn at least a few things, though.

If I did Comp2, I would be clueless about the whole linux thing as well. Seems complicated.

Last edited:

lzlzlz

HSC
I emailed the convenor of COMP2911 and requested a waiver for COMP1927 so I could enroll in COMP2911 this semester; he told me that as I had not received advanced standing for COMP1927, I would not get a waiver. This shouldn't matter anyway, because there are only a few COMP courses which have COMP2911 as a prerequisite.

brad1

HSC
N/A
Yeah, most require 1927. Glad it doesn't screw you over too much.

lzlzlz

HSC
I've just emailed Sri to get COMP1927 waived so I can take COMP2121, I'll post an update after I get a response.

brad1

HSC
N/A
I would love an update, because I emailed Sri two weeks ago and got no reply. I emailed him again yesterday, and nothing yet.

If I have to retake 2121, I would like to do it now as well. I should hunt him down, actually.

lzlzlz

HSC
Well, I'll see if I get a reply. On another note, I decided to go with MATH1011 this semester.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)