Enrollment Comp Sci HELP (1 Viewer)

the_matrix

HSC
Could someone help me with enrollment for the following:

ENGG1000 Engineering Design & Innovation
COMP1511 Introduction to Programming
MATH1131 Maths 1A

I have no idea what to do. Do I have to enrol lectures and tutorials for every subject? if not, please tell me which ones.
What is 'other'? (on the timetable there's 'lectures', 'tutorial-laboratoy' then theres like 20 of these 'other')

Discrete Maths is full. If I follow CSE guide, does that mean I will graduate late?

Also I don't get the permitted clashes. How is a clash permitted - can you like skip half your lecture if you want?

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes enroll in all labs lectures and tutorials

your myunsw timetable should appear blue if you have enrolled correctly

D94

HSC
N/A
Could someone help me with enrollment for the following:

ENGG1000 Engineering Design & Innovation
COMP1511 Introduction to Programming
MATH1131 Maths 1A

I have no idea what to do. Do I have to enrol lectures and tutorials for every subject? if not, please tell me which ones.
Now you're in university, those 'subjects' are called 'courses'. Each course has classes that you need to enrol into. When you enrol into the course, it will then prompt you to add classes. There will be a section for a lecture, tutorial, lab etc. You enrol into what you are being prompted to enrol into. If alongside the class enrolment, it says 'add class' (or something like that), it means you haven't enrolled into all that you need to enrol into.

What is 'other'? (on the timetable there's 'lectures', 'tutorial-laboratoy' then theres like 20 of these 'other')
Other is as it sounds - it's something other than a lecture, tutorial, lab etc. A course may run large workshops or larger group sessions. You still need to enrol into it.

Discrete Maths is full. If I follow CSE guide, does that mean I will graduate late?
You should still do 24 UOC per semester. You need to find another course to do.

Also I don't get the permitted clashes. How is a clash permitted - can you like skip half your lecture if you want?
No, a permitted clash is where 2 classes from different courses overlap and you have been granted permission to allow that. Normally you have to attend all your classes. So if 2 overlap each other, you obviously cannot physically attend both for the entire duration. The School may grant you permission to allow that clash, which then means you need to decide which one to attend.

If you do see a permitted clash on your timetable and you didn't apply for it, it's probably ENGG1000, meaning nothing is actually clashing by its normal definition.

Oh does Bojangles basically tell you everything you need to enroll in for each subject?
Well yes, but you should not rely on third party applications to tell you what to enrol into. It should be obvious that when you are prompted to add classes, if there is still a section that is telling you to add a class, you need to add a class. Less panic and more common sense.

the_matrix

HSC
Thank you both for your help. What do you advise I should enrol in sem1 to replace Discrete Math? I'm quite stressed/confused right now, apologies.

D94

HSC
N/A
Thank you both for your help. What do you advise I should enrol in sem1 to replace Discrete Math? I'm quite stressed/confused right now, apologies.
First enrol into what you can, otherwise those courses may fill up as well!

Since you're doing Comp Sci, you have free electives available. Comp Sci is 144 UOC, but only 96 UOC is for the major. The other 48 UOC is made up of free electives (36 UOC) and gen eds (12 UOC).

You should do a bit of research so you know how your degree is structured. Not every course will be a Comp Sci course, so you need to have some idea, whether it's a minor in say psychology or maybe you want to attempt a double major (i.e. say Comp Sci and AI).

The course to do instead of Discrete for this semester can really be anything because you do have 12 UOC of gen eds (which can be any course outside of the Faculty of Engineering). I think many students take on interesting science electives, commerce minors are also popular choices.

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2017/3778.html

the_matrix

HSC
My net died... Have to use Westfield wifi LOL gg

So next semester I should study Discrete Maths? But doesn't that mean I push one subject back - following the CSE guide I have no free electives next semester, meaning if I do Discrete Math I'd have to swap one course out.

Also, we only enroll courses for the upcoming semester right, not later semesters? (I saw people asking about electives in sem2)

Can I watch math tutorials online? Or does it have to be in person?

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
Yes, unfortunately if it remains full until the start of the 2nd week of uni, you will need to do Discrete in Semester 2.

Yes, you would be swapping a course out, so this is where you need to figure out what can be delayed to the following year. Look for courses that are offered in both semesters (such as Discrete). If you can find one, you would push that one back to the next year.

But also keep in mind that those courses might be prerequisite for 2nd year courses. If you are still unsure, you should visit the CSE office and get help to determine what can be delayed, and what should be done ASAP. You have many electives, so it's unlikely that you'll be in a situation where you could only do 3 courses in 1 semester, or that you have 5 semester 2 only courses remaining. This could only happen if you really screw up your enrolment, which is really unlikely to happen since there are so many electives!

Just 1 semester at a time.

Tutorials are classes where you ask/answer questions. They aren't for teaching new content - those are lectures.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)