Hatshepsut nd her relationship with Thutmose 3 (1 Viewer)

chilly12

HSC
need help have an essay on the relationship between Hatshepsut and Thutmose 3 dont no what to write????

Sadiah

HSC
Uhmm..

From memory

Thutmose III was her step son as well as her nephew.

Some historians, such as Gardiner and Wilson, argue that when he grew elder, and when Hatshepsut died, in hatred he immediately mutilated her name and monuments so as to obliterate her name and memory forever.

However, other historians, such as C Nims, argue that the damage was not done until the year 42, when Thutsmose III replaced Haatshepsut's cartouche with his own. If he hated her so much, why would he wait 20 years for his revenge???

Hope that helps :D

chilly12

HSC
heyyy thanks i no all about it but im just not sure whatto write i have an intro but thats as far as my brain will get

mamoz

HSC
lol dats wat happened to me i had a intro but culdntt finish it last year for ancient.. so all i did was jst ask the teacher to give me a few points on which i could expand on for the essay and yea i eventually completed them ... although i cant help u with info coz everything ive learnt for hatshepsutt has gone outta my brain loll btw yu needa includee as many ancient and modern sources as you can find and expand on what they're tryna say to get the extra marks lol
gud luck :D

Sadiah

HSC
Lol, that's okay.

It's all I can remember.

I've distributed my notes :(

I'm sowwiiee.

But I'll see if I have soft copies available ... If I do, I'll post stuff up:D

Sadiah

HSC
I found some stuff:

Hatshepsut’s relationship with Thutmose III
The nature of the relationship between Hatshepsut and Thutmose III is one that is open to many questions and theories. It is clear however that after the death of Thutmose II, Thutmose III was destined to take the throne as he was probably Thutmose II’s only male heir. At this time Thutmose III was no older than ten and too young to rule. Hatshepsut, King’s Royal wife to the late Thutmose II controlled Egypt as regent. For the first two years her depiction on monuments is in a secondary role to Thutmose III. However between years two and seven of Thutmose III’s reign, Hatshepsut ascended to the position of king and they ruled as co-regency.

It is certain by year seven that Hatshepsut had adopted the full titular of a king and by this stage was being displayed in front of Thutmose III on monuments which showed that even though they ruled in a co-regency, there is no doubt that Hatshepsut was the more senior ruler. The hypotheses as to why Hatshepsut seemingly usurped the throne from Thutmose III are varied, Callender believes that “She considered herself a more legitimate ruler than him because she was descended from pure blood and he was the son of a mere concubine.”However Tyldesley believes that “She was acting on the wishes of Thutmose III who needed her continuing support and protection.”There are many explanations as to why she may have done so, although it is clear that after ascending to the throne she had the internal and external administration of Egypt under her control.

Even though Hatshepsut effectively usurped the throne from Thutmose III, many believe that their relationship was peaceful. This is supported by the fact that there are no documented uprisings during the co-regency by Thutmose III against Hatshepsut. Hatshepsut also gave Thutmose III the respect he was entitled to, she dated her rule by his regal years and Thutmose III is seen in many relief scenes as participating with Hatshepsut at important religious events. Another notable point about their relationship is that according to Brier, Hatshepsut seems to have given Thutmose III an important role in the army. This is possibly because Hatshepsut hoped that Thutmose III could take control of foreign campaigns and leave her in peace so that she could take care of the homeland and rule without challenge.

The most debatable part of Hatshepsut and Thutmose III relationship with one another is highlighted by the defacement of Hatshepsut’s monuments after her death by Thutmose III. This has led to the proposition of the ‘Feuding Thutmosids; theory. Hatshepsut’s name was removed from many of her monuments, replaced by those of Thutmose I, II or III and her name was removed from king’s lists. It is possible that Thutmose III acted out of revenge against Hatshepsut because he detested her for usurping his right to the throne. Lawless rightly points out “If he hated her so much, why wait twenty years for revenge?” It is generally accepted that Thutmose III did not begin to deface Hatshepsut’s monuments until twenty years after her death. It has been proposed that the reason for him defacing many of Hatshepsut’s monuments was because he was afraid that Hatshepsut’s achievements would overshadow his own. However many historians argue that the reason for replacing her name with those of his former Thutmose’s was to legitimize his own right to the throne by emphasizing his relationship with Thutmose I and II. Redford agrees, “Thutmose was motivated not so much by genuine hatred as political necessity.”It is also notable that Thutmose III may have wanted to restore Ma’at in Egypt by erasing all trace of an unorthodox female king.

In conclusion, it is also clear that the relationship between Hatshepsut and Thutmose III beholds controversy. Historians such as Gardiner and Welson believe that Thutmose III hated Hatshepsut as she became Pharaoh when he was meant to do so and thus he resented her, which is illustrated by him defacing the monuments of Hatshepsut. However, other historians such as C Nims argue that if such was the case, ‘then why is it that the monuments of Hatshepsut were defaced a whole twenty years later?’ Therefore, the relationship between Hatshepsut and Thutmose III remains controversial.
Here is evidence suggesting Hatshepsut’s monuments and memories being defaced:

Image of Hatshepsut defaced on the orders of Tuthmosis III, Temple of Karnak
--

Sorry about the image being unavailabe - just google that stuff up.

By the way, this is a bit of my old assignment stuff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)