Advice on selection (1 Viewer)

abbeyyx

HSC
hi, i was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on what may be the better option for my subjects in year 12.
i have atm:
Advance English
2 Unit Maths
Extension English
Physics
Ancient History
SOR1
Society and Culture

However i was wondering whether it is best for me drop society and culture in order to pick up History Extension.
Im not particularily fond of Society and i'm going well in ancient but i dont know if it will just be too much work.
Which is better, Society or History Ext?
advice please?:)

tessery

HSC
Hey - well, i'm no expert lol but I do know that history extension will scale MUCH better than Society, i have friends who do it and they all say that it scales down quite a bit....not that you can't do well if you are dedicated to it but yeah.

It really depends how well you are going in ancient, and you say you are doing well (near the top of your class i would assume), so thats a good sign that you could handle it - anyway, i did modern and history ext and i actually found history extension much easier than the 2 unit course!

In terms of time, the major work can but time consuming, but at the end of the day its only 2500 words. Plus, it gets handed in way earlier than the other subjects so the pressure if off by exam time, all you have to do is a 2 hour exam. If you plan your time with the major work properly (unlike me =P) it should be fine.

Finally, i think having a good teacher is really important - i have loved history ext this year because i had an awesome teacher, but i know my friend is really unhappy with it and stressed for the exam because her;s wasn;t very good. So maybe that is something to think about.

Hope this answer wasn't too long! lol xox

Last edited:

abbeyyx

HSC
ahh thankyou so much! <3
im still not positive but im definatley leaning more towards history extension:)

AlyssaMe

HSC
tessery said:
Hey - well, i'm no expert lol but I do know that history extension will scale MUCH better than Society, i have friends who do it and they all say that it scales down quite a bit....not that you can't do well if you are dedicated to it but yeah.

It really depends how well you are going in ancient, and you say you are doing well (near the top of your class i would assume), so thats a good sign that you could handle it - anyway, i did modern and history ext and i actually found history extension much easier than the 2 unit course!

In terms of time, the major work can but time consuming, but at the end of the day its only 2500 words. Plus, it gets handed in way earlier than the other subjects so the pressure if off by exam time, all you have to do is a 2 hour exam. If you plan your time with the major work properly (unlike me =P) it should be fine.

Finally, i think having a good teacher is really important - i have loved history ext this year because i had an awesome teacher, but i know my friend is really unhappy with it and stressed for the exam because her;s wasn;t very good. So maybe that is something to think about.

Hope this answer wasn't too long! lol xox
thankyou so much, this wasnt even my post but i am in the same situation!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)