Teaching myself History ext - help!! (1 Viewer)

Justina

HSC
Ok, so it's a long story, but the point is, my principal is being a pain in the ass, :bomb:and hasn't gotten the history ext. class up and running just yet. I'm really worried that i'm going to fall behind and really want to get started on my own, but don't know where to begin.:confused:I have this red-ish text book that has info on a whole bunch of historians, and i've downloaded the Readings from the Board of Studies Website, now what? Do i just started reading? What stuff do i need to know? What stuff are you guys doing in ur extension classes? How many historians do i have to know about?

Thanks for your time peoples, all help is greatly appreciuated!!

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Well, you have to get started with your MW. Look over those sheets on the syllabus that relate to the MW.

The first topic is What is History? Depending on your school, you're going to look at various historians over different time periods. By doing this, you'll have to answer these questions at the back of your mind:

1. What are the historical debates?
2. Who are the historians?
3. What are the aims and purposes of history?
4. How has history been constructed and recorded over time?
5. Why have approaches to history changed over time?

We're going through the historians and their contexts in a chronological time frame. We've looked at Herodotus, Thucydides, Polybius, Bede, Gibbon and von Ranke. I know someone at a different school where they've started with the post-modernism debates first.

You should try and get a various of books- "History and the Historians" by John Warren is a good one. So is Ken Webb's Extension History booklet (where you can get from the HTA) and the Pursuit of History by John Tosh (I think that's his name). There are bucketloads of books relating to historians and historiography.

Do you know when the actual classes are starting?

Justina

HSC
Kujah said:
Well, you have to get started with your MW. Look over those sheets on the syllabus that relate to the MW.

The first topic is What is History? Depending on your school, you're going to look at various historians over different time periods. By doing this, you'll have to answer these questions at the back of your mind:

1. What are the historical debates?
2. Who are the historians?
3. What are the aims and purposes of history?
4. How has history been constructed and recorded over time?
5. Why have approaches to history changed over time?

We're going through the historians and their contexts in a chronological time frame. We've looked at Herodotus, Thucydides, Polybius, Bede, Gibbon and von Ranke. I know someone at a different school where they've started with the post-modernism debates first.

You should try and get a various of books- "History and the Historians" by John Warren is a good one. So is Ken Webb's Extension History booklet (where you can get from the HTA) and the Pursuit of History by John Tosh (I think that's his name). There are bucketloads of books relating to historians and historiography.

Do you know when the actual classes are starting?
ok, so this is probably a dumb question, but what's 'MW'?
Thanks for the run down on what kinda stuff you guys are doing, and those questions are really helpful! :)

I've been nagging and nagging for my principal to give me a date as to when classes are starting, but he keeps brushing my off and saying "soon, soon". See, my school's new, and my grade will be the first class to graduate, so we've never had a class do history ext. before. It's only me and this other girl that are interested in giving it a go, and the principal has told us it's going ahead, yet he hasn't started the classes!! :bomb: He just tells us to start our readings and we should be fine, which i think is a load of bull.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
MW= Major Work. The syllabus has documents relating to it.

All I think is that you should continue nagging the principal. Have you talked to the Head Teacher of History? He/she might provide better insight.

X

xeuyrawp

If it doesn't happen soon, tell the principal that he can pay for a tutor, and then go out and hire a decent one.

Justina

HSC
Kujah said:
MW= Major Work. The syllabus has documents relating to it.

All I think is that you should continue nagging the principal. Have you talked to the Head Teacher of History? He/she might provide better insight.
Ah ok, MW, i get it, lol

I've been nagging (so has my friend, my friend's dad, my mum, and this other dude) to the point that the principal hates me! haha, i swear, it's so scary, coz he's my legal studies teacher as well, i think he's just about ready to shoot me if i open my mouth about it again! So i can't really force him to pay for tutoring either.

I have talked to the head of history and he said he'll talk to him, but he doesn't really see anyway he can take up extra classes and teach the junior years as well. Last time i spoke to the principal he said he was going to hire another history teacher to teach the juniors.

So, yeah, I'm just going to have to wait and see what happens, in the mean time, i want to get all the help i can from other students as to what work they're doing and perhaps some pointers as to what i should be doing, which is what you guys are doing, so thanks! :)

tigerian

HSC
N/A
Justina said:
Ah ok, MW, i get it, lol

I've been nagging (so has my friend, my friend's dad, my mum, and this other dude) to the point that the principal hates me! haha, i swear, it's so scary, coz he's my legal studies teacher as well, i think he's just about ready to shoot me if i open my mouth about it again! So i can't really force him to pay for tutoring either.

I have talked to the head of history and he said he'll talk to him, but he doesn't really see anyway he can take up extra classes and teach the junior years as well. Last time i spoke to the principal he said he was going to hire another history teacher to teach the juniors.

So, yeah, I'm just going to have to wait and see what happens, in the mean time, i want to get all the help i can from other students as to what work they're doing and perhaps some pointers as to what i should be doing, which is what you guys are doing, so thanks! :)
Hi I have PM 'd you . If you would like some help from an English Extension teacher please let me know. Just advice and support if you want it.

f(sex)

HSC
PwarYuex said:
If it doesn't happen soon, tell the principal that he can pay for a tutor, and then go out and hire a decent one.
can you actually do that?

xmagiczx

HSC
Depends on the circumstances, but you probably could if you tried :)

rach19

HSC
Could you do it buy correspondance? You cant do much if he hasnit formally allowed the course to run, thou.

HeideggerII

HSC

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Start researching as soon as possible! Especially read up on sample answers in the standards packages (that's on the www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au website). Don't want to fall behind!

Good luck peoples for 2008!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)