Extension History HSC Paper 2007 Q1 (1 Viewer)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Our teacher's given us Q1 of this year's paper to do. The question is:

With close reference to the issues raised by Munslow (composer of the source), criticall evaulate the role of the historian in the construction of history.

Support your argument with reference to at least TWO sources you have studied.

My teacher wants us to do the essay based on the historians that we have done i.e. Herodotus, Thucydides, Polybius, Bede, Gibbon and Ranke.

Basically, my issue is how should I structure this question. I'm probabaly going to do four historians- Herodotus, Thucydides, von Ranke and possibly a post-modernist(s) that I have looked up. Should I answer this question chronologically or use main points around the source as paragraphs? Should I also add my eprspective constantly throughout my argument, or just limit it to one or two paragraphs (eg-introduction, conclusion)?

Thanks.

bored6

HSC
Kujah said:
Our teacher's given us Q1 of this year's paper to do. The question is:

With close reference to the issues raised by Munslow (composer of the source), criticall evaulate the role of the historian in the construction of history.

Support your argument with reference to at least TWO sources you have studied.

My teacher wants us to do the essay based on the historians that we have done i.e. Herodotus, Thucydides, Polybius, Bede, Gibbon and Ranke.

Basically, my issue is how should I structure this question. I'm probabaly going to do four historians- Herodotus, Thucydides, von Ranke and possibly a post-modernist(s) that I have looked up. Should I answer this question chronologically or use main points around the source as paragraphs? Should I also add my eprspective constantly throughout my argument, or just limit it to one or two paragraphs (eg-introduction, conclusion)?

Thanks.
Previously you would structure it chronologically (circa 2001-2002) - i.e. shift from classical history to modernism to postmodernism.

But a better way to analyze historiographical issues is to present your essay in terms of historical issues.

So you could go:

Introduction

Methodology
-Historian #1
- Historian #2
- Historian #3
- Historian #4

With emphasis on how they espouse issues related to historical methodology and you should aim for synthesis across historians.

Then you could analyze:

Aims / Purpose
as espoused in historian 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 whilst linking back to the role of historian in historical construction.

This is a good way to do it, it seemed to work for me throughout the year and applied very nicely to the vague nature of question #1 I thought.

And yes you should make a definitive judgement and come to a concise synthesis at the end of your argument to sum it all up.

EDIT:

You probably should pick a more diverse range of historians, personally I thought Polybus is quite limited in regard to historiographical issues.

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
And link to the sources continously in each paragraph?

By the way, thanks for the response.

bored6

HSC
Kujah said:
And link to the sources continously in each paragraph?

By the way, thanks for the response.
Yes always link to the source. The source should be the lifeblood of your response.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
So basically, your structure would be:

Introduction
Methodology (where you link to the source and question)
- Historian 1
- Historian 2
- Historian 3
- Historian 4
Aims/Purpose (where you link to the source and question)
- Historian 1
- Historian 2
- Historian 3
- Historian 4
Conclusion (sum it up; judgment)

How long do you think each paragraph should be?

d91sh

HSC
has anybody got any notes on the chinese division between the guomindang & the communists?..
i need help for my speech...
or does anyone have another topic that they fell is better??...
plz get back to me...
thx

HeideggerII

HSC
G'day Ladies and Gentlemen.

From experience I would say the 2007 question was probably the easiest I've seen in a long time - in fact, I virtually predicted the question word for word. I see that there are many of you out there who are worried or at least uncertain about what History Extension requires you to do. I would gladly help any of you in drafting a response to this question and would give you my essay which scored 25/25 for a similar question / article.

If you need help, feel free to come to me (or I'll come to you) for tutoring - I scored full marks for my project and ranked 2nd in the State in the course overall (50/50). My post for tutoring can be found here:

http://community.boredofstudies.org/482/general/134962/state-ranked-tutor-wants-you.html#post2757595

Hope to tutor you soon!

jess19

HSC
Ive also attempted to draft a response to this question, im just not clear on how to structure the essay and i find great difficulty linking the historians. HeideggerII i would greatly appreciate if you could send me your essay so i can obtain a basic overview of what is expected. if thats possible let me no. thanks.:)

cheers xx
HeideggerII said:
G'day Ladies and Gentlemen.

From experience I would say the 2007 question was probably the easiest I've seen in a long time - in fact, I virtually predicted the question word for word. I see that there are many of you out there who are worried or at least uncertain about what History Extension requires you to do. I would gladly help any of you in drafting a response to this question and would give you my essay which scored 25/25 for a similar question / article.

If you need help, feel free to come to me (or I'll come to you) for tutoring - I scored full marks for my project and ranked 2nd in the State in the course overall (50/50). My post for tutoring can be found here:

http://community.boredofstudies.org/482/general/134962/state-ranked-tutor-wants-you.html#post2757595

Hope to tutor you soon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)