Please help no idea wut2do (1 Viewer)

HSC
Can you guys please give me an idea of what I should do for my Extension History major project?
Also maybe idea on the question?
Please reply, would be appreciated :)
P.s. preferably topics with allot of historiography on..:smile:

kenankk

HSC
Can you guys please give me an idea of what I should do for my Extension History major project?
Also maybe idea on the question?
Please reply, would be appreciated :)
P.s. preferably topics with allot of historiography on..:smile:
If your still stuck with what topic to do I have a couple of suggestions. I did the Gunpowder Plot last year with the areas of debate being: the discovery, authenticity and summoning of the Gunpowder Treason. the historians/sources are split into two categories- the traditionalist with 'the kings book' (king Jame's perspective) and Gardiner (19th century historian who had a huge debate with revisionist interpretations). the revisionist are people that argue against the tradition story- this includes father john Gerard from the 19th century (debate immensely with Gardiner) and father john Gerard of the 17th century.

ultimately what you should be doing is finding a topic which interests you and will keep you interested because for most of the project it is taking notes, sorting those notes and condensing those notes on the topic. I started my essay in the first term however i left it until the last minute and found other interesting topics that could have been chosen eg. the french revolution, the personality of Catherine the great and etc. your main objective is to start. collect notes from libraries, internet and even try to get in contact with historians who have studied the topic you have chosen- I did and the teacher was impressed. good luck

will90211

HSC
Ideally, you want a topic which is steeped in debate, naturally. I did my major on 'Sonderweg'. In this topic there are 3 core sections of historians. Those who wrote pre 1933, those who wrote immediately after the war 1945-1960 and those from the 1960's onwards. So firstly, you have a clear temporal context, cultural and political. You have very different approaches during those times to the construction of history. And most importantly, the actual concept of Sonderweg goes through 'evolutionary' stages in line with the aforementioned time frames. So, you want a topic where ideally the historians live in different temporal contexts and are writing there histories in different pol. cul. academic contexts. Further, don't make life hard for yourself, do a super straight forward question - people get soo caught up on the question. I did, "How have Historians treated the concept of Sonderweg?" with my two sub questions directly referencing my historians.

Best of luck with Ext. It was by far my fav subject and is well worth every ounce of effort you put in.

kenankk

HSC
Yes this is by far the most rewarding subject. It literally helped with all my other subjects in essay writing and because we were studying the case study of Queen Elizabeth I i had a better understanding of the Shakespeare text in English (Hamlet) and module C- History and memory. btw I'm doing the same course as you next year at Mac

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
To give you some suggestions it would help if we had some idea of your areas of interest - Ancient, Medieval, Early Modern, Modern, American, Australian, Asian, Pacific, African, European, Russian etc.

I will give an idea for each of the above - not on the syllabus.

Ancient - degree of romanisation in Britain
Medieval - degree of normanisation of England after Hastings
Early Modern - gains of Parliament due to English Civil War and Interregnum
Modern - Genocides since WWII
American - role of election of Lincoln to the outbreak of the American Civil War
Australian - development of demoracy as a result of the Eureka Stockade
Asian - Pakistani Civil War (that resulted in East Pakistan becoming Bangladesh)
Pacific - various coups in Fiji
African - reactions to decolonisation - differences depending on which European power had been the coloniser
European - Hungarian or Czechoslovakian uprisings - something on Tito - Franco and survival - or even more interesting restoration of Spanish monarchy and role of Juan Carlos in keeping Spain a democracy
Russian - anything on character and achievements of some early Tsars - Peter, Catherine or even 19th C early Tsars e.g. succession 1825

With just a simple list like this it is clear that the range is overwhelming - and why I asked for some ideas of you interests.

Music or Art could also lead to other projects. If IT or D&T are interests what about some early discoveries etc etc. If Sport is an interest again heaps and heaps of options e.g. Bodyline has a bit of historiography due to the fact that there are volumes written by so many of the players as well as the British view being different to the Australian.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Before I dropped His Ext, I was doing the project thing on perceptions of President Sueharto (Indonesia), other things include Galileo, Atlantis, Che Guavero...I even saw one on Coco Chanel once.

nwolfers

HSC
I think this thread, may possibly be dead, but I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO FOR IT! And my proposal is due in a week, I was going to look at how the civil rights movement altered the way african americans are depicted in literature, however, my teacher didn't seem to like the idea, so I have a week to change it because he's the sort of teacher that'll find way to take marks off you purely because he doesn't like it. Devs, Help.

HSC
I think this thread, may possibly be dead, but I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO FOR IT! And my proposal is due in a week, I was going to look at how the civil rights movement altered the way african americans are depicted in literature, however, my teacher didn't seem to like the idea, so I have a week to change it because he's the sort of teacher that'll find way to take marks off you purely because he doesn't like it. Devs, Help.
Q- Did you find a topic?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)