What is history - source analysis. How do i do this? (1 Viewer)

History 101

HSC
HEY GUYS,
I thought I'd write up a little information which can help you guys when it comes to writing your source analysis based WHAT IS HISTORY ESSAY.

I know this is going to sound stupid but READ THE TEXT.

It is extremely important to read the text a few times making notes as you do before delving into the essay. This is because (a) extracts given do include various metaphors which need to be understood for its deeper and hidden message and (b) because you need to be able to figure out whether the historian is an empiricist, relativist, hyper-relativist or postmodernist as this is crucial when answering the question. Understanding what the text is trying to say is probably harder than writing the essay itself - so spend time in reading an understanding the extract.

Also, just because the essay allows you to discuss two other sources this does not mean you neglect the extract. This is what many students do and this will not allow them to get an A. You must literally attack the source and address it thoroughly.

It says to use TWO sources for a reason. Yes you may use more. But this does not call for you to use every past historian in the book. Focus on mainly 2-4 historians in great detail.

ANSWER THE QUESTION. You will be surprised how many students fail to address the question specifically in relation to the text. To avoid this I would spend maybe 5-7 minutes on actually planning your essay. They give you one hour to write this essay for a good reason, hence use the time wisely.

Other then that, practice practice and keep practicing. Trust me when I say your first essay will probably hit the B standard, but after you keep writing more and more you will become familiar with the structure and the expectations. Before your exam, be sure to give your teacher a practice essay you have written.

Btw do not be afraid to attack the source! Make sure you highlight/write all over the source with your ideas.

Hope that helps!!! Good luck with it all. Also I am happy to mark practice essays and give feedback

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)