How much to put in Major Work about Historians' contexts (1 Viewer)

Michelle Lin

HSC
To what extent do we have to put historian context in our major work? My major work is about the changing interpretations of a historical debate so I'm outlining the transforming historical debates. When I mention the historian and their work and school of thought how much do I need to put in about their individual context e.g. religious beliefs, personal philosphies (e.g. misogyny) etc.
Thanks in advance guys!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Talk about it if it is relevant. If a historian tends take a marxist view on things for example, it would be important to note why.

clairity

HSC
Uni Grad
Their context is really important when you consider how it influenced the development of their opinion on whatever historical debate you're doing. Quick example the australian history wars- Windschuttle refused to acknowledge Indigenous oral histories as evidence, a position influenced by his empirical persuasions and training. While revisionist historians accept cultural history and alternative forms of historical records, empiricists generally do not, and as such their opinions significantly diverge.

As a general rule, only include information if it benefits your argument. Contextual information - when you present it in a critical manner and show how it applies to your debate - evidences a depth of knowledge and makes your argument that much more effective. Its a historiographical essay, not just historical- so show your analytical thinking and examine who your historians are and why they think the way they do. (Always go back to those 5 key questions!)

If you want anyone to review your project, or any tutoring send me a message! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)