Feedback on Major Work Idea and Question Development-Jack the Ripper (1 Viewer)

RoyalAnarchy

HSC
Hi Everyone :)

My class and I have just been given our Major Task for Extension History. While I know I have quite a while to finalise my choice and develop a question, I would rather get it out of the way quickly. I was thinking along the lines of Jack the Ripper. I was either going to investigate the varying opinions, view points and attitudes surrounding his crimes, or perhaps investigate the potential link to the Freemasons. There is already a significant degree of historical debate surrounding the killer's identity, and the motivation behind his crimes. There are also a number of historians I can referece.

I would love some feedback on my idea, and perhaps some suggestions for question development. If anyone has any ideas for another topic that you would recommend, I'm a modern student and am most definately choosing a topic in the modern era.

Thanks for you time Everyone, would love to hear your suggestions :cool:

leaf-monkey

HSC
N/A
That sound like a great idea!! I did Ernesto Che Guevera as my topic and from I've learnt i think its would be a good idea to make a rough plan of the key debates that would be discussed in your essay because it can definitely get overwhelming. In doing so, you can also narrow down the information-sources that are relevant, because too much info will drive you crazy-I went absolutley nuts becauce there was an endless amount. Your idea seems really intersetsing, so go for it!!! Goodluck:D

RoyalAnarchy

HSC
Thanks, I'll make sure to take your advice. I'm glad my idea has some actual merit. Thanks again!!! :)

Lina3

HSC
Jack the Ripper is the sort of controversial topic that is best for the history project :) There is tons of stuff out there, so its best to narrow it down, but not too much. For instance I did Peter the Great of Russia for mine, then narrowed it down on historians' opinions on his reforms, then narrowed it down again to historians' opinions on the impact on his reforms on Russia in the long term. Since these reforms were the most major aspect of his reign, it was still easy to find info even though my field was very narrow.
So my advice is to pick an important aspect on Jack the Ripper (eg identity, how his crimes were investigated at the time, possible links to larger organizations etc) and work with that.
Best of luck :) Personally, I loved every moment of the History Project and I hope you do too.

Senor901

HSC
Excellent choice of a major work! Make sure you initially read broadly and extensively on Jack the Ripper, and then narrow your focus onto a specific area of debate within the personality. It becomes easier when you have read widely, so make sure you do so before singling out your question/area of focus. The major work is by far one of the most enriching and enjoyable projects you will do, good luck!

RoyalAnarchy

HSC
Thanks guys, I'll make sure to narrow down my focus onto a specific area of debate surrounding my personality. I'm amazed at the great responses I've been getting from everyone contributing. I've never used this medium before and its great to know so many great people are willing to help out a complete stranger like me :smile: Once again, thanks guys!!!! Your suggestions have been invaluable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)