Major Work Topic - WWII (1 Viewer)

petercat

HSC
N/A
Hi all!

I have a major interest in doing WWII as the focus of my History Ext major work.

So far I have any of the following events in mind as possible choices;

- Battle of the Bulge
- D-Day
- Stalingrad
- Operation Barbarossa
- Battle of Midway
- Pearl Harbour
- Battle of Britain
- Iwo Jima

But, I am having trouble constructing a focus question directly relevant to this course. I wanted to focus mainly on the importance and impact of the event but I am unsure as how to tie that to historical debate.

Could anyone suggest something, perhaps an example question based on one of these questions?

Thank you!

puneet98

HSC
I did the bombing of Hiroshima and nagasaki for mod last year. I focused on whether the USA were justified in their actions. This is a really good topic as u can find a lot online and there is even a historiography online. There isn't necessarily a lot of controversy over the topics u want to do and its best to pick a topic with a lot of debate.
Q. where the USA justified in their actions of bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945?
Goodluck

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Major issue - you aren't allowed to do a topic that 'significantly overlaps' with an examinable syllabus and all of yours fit into that bill. Not just topics your school teachers mind you but ANY examinable syllabus.

You will need to find some way around the events. As a teacher I wouldn't allow any of those topics at all.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
to what extent did stalins order 227 influence the victory in stalingrad/the eastern front

limplict

HSC
I agree with cem, a lot, if not all of your focus areas overlap with the Conflict in the Pacific and Conflict in Europe topics. Even if you're not soon either topic, your school should technically not be allowed to let you do any of those events because no one could stop you from doing a question related to those events in the HSC, which would give you an unfair advantage.

Puneet98's topic should also not technically have been allowed since it's been a HSC question asked in the Conflict in the Pacific topic.

Danoraptor

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi all!

I have a major interest in doing WWII as the focus of my History Ext major work.

So far I have any of the following events in mind as possible choices;

- Battle of the Bulge
- D-Day
- Stalingrad
- Operation Barbarossa
- Battle of Midway
- Pearl Harbour
- Battle of Britain
- Iwo Jima

But, I am having trouble constructing a focus question directly relevant to this course. I wanted to focus mainly on the importance and impact of the event but I am unsure as how to tie that to historical debate.

Could anyone suggest something, perhaps an example question based on one of these questions?

Thank you!
I got full marks (60/60) for my extension history major. It is the highest mark anyone in my school has ever received for the project and both my history teachers said its the best they have ever read. So I know a lot about this.

Whatever topic you do, make sure it is ideology based. So instead of investigating the economic impacts of The Battle of Britain (which you probably wont get a 90+ mark for, due to limited sophistication) argue that The Battle of Britain was critical to the development of burgeoning British defeatism, for example.

I provide tutoring services face to face or over skype. PM me if interested. I can get you a fantastic and competitive mark.

atcha

HSC
N/A
Often you may get away with doing something from another syllabus if your school hasn't covered it but I wouldn't really recommend. What Danoraptor is saying is the type of topic you should be trying to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)