Major work suggestions (1 Viewer)

IDFWU

HSC
Hey guys, I'm really struggling to choose a topic and find a question for it, I was thinking topics such as Pre-Communist Russia, Trotsky v Stalin, Joseph Stalin or the Battle of Stalingrad...

please help :( suggestions and questions for these would be highly appreciated

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The last three would be largely out as the are major parts of the Modern History syllabus - especially as Trotsky is one of the personalities for the course and you are not allowed to do a topic that 'significantly overlaps any examinable syllabus' even if your school doesn't teach that topic.

miaoww

HSC
I did Russia for my nationality study, Trotsky for my personality and Conflict in Europe and you definitely cannot do your 3 last suggestions if those are your units. You could possibly look at pre-revolutionary Russia (although this is looked at in prelim if I remember correctly), but you really need a point of contention to debate. The collapse of the USSR might be an interesting one (maybe how the release of new info changed perceptions of Russia and its leaders), but a large amount of Russian history has already been covered by the modern syllabus sorry :( another option is the influence of Russia on its neighbouring nations e.g. Poland?? You should check with your teachers though because it is marked internally so ultimately they get the final say. Good luck!! :)

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
The last three would be largely out as the are major parts of the Modern History syllabus - especially as Trotsky is one of the personalities for the course and you are not allowed to do a topic that 'significantly overlaps any examinable syllabus' even if your school doesn't teach that topic.
Sorry for reviving this as of such, but really?
My History Extension teacher said the exact opposite, that if it was in a syllabus but its not taught in the school, then go for your life

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
My teacher back in the day, having been a HSC marker said that while you CAN write on topics that are in the Modern History syllabus, it's urged you do some independent research on a topic not covered.

It sort of shows you're not relying on textbook work but rather you are able to put forward your own research.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The BOS has told me and my Head of Department AND the notes to the syllabus clearly says 'can't significantly overlap with ANY examinable syllabus' - not just Modern/Ancient History but any. The people I have spoken to at the BOS have said that is anything from any course and used to include the old School Certificate courses as well.

As the projects are marked internally then many schools do get away with ignoring that instruction but at an independent school subject to regular inspections for registration we know we can't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)