"extract" - wrong word to use (1 Viewer)

peeasoup

Any reckon the way they asked for 2 extracts was a stupid way to say two different productions. 2 extracts could also mean two scenes from the play....

superbird

HSC
i agree. the wording was a little bad. we're all in the same boat anyways.

senso

Left BOS 11/04
HSC
N/A
I took extract as meaning two scences or at least little sections of the play.. It wasn't what i was expecting.
But i just sorta talked about different interpretations and gave examples of how they would look at sections of the play.
Crappy question though

alexialight

HSC
whoops... i thought it did mean two scenes from the play. luckily i did that as well as two different productions

somborac

HSC
i took two scenes from the play and said this production shows this scene that way and this production shows the same scini this way and same for the last scene

stazi

Nightman
HSC
It can't mean two productions. How does extract mean production? If they said interpretations, or readings then yes. But extract means to select and copy out.

peeasoup

My friend asked the HSC person in the hall, and they said it meant two productions. But you never know. I did two productions....

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
It's DEFINATLY 2 scense, as they say, 2 extracts from the text. You assume that they want you to talk about productions aswell.

miss_salty

HSC
N/A
uh, doesn't extract mean a passage or section from your text? and then u apply whatever reading/interpretation to it.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The Board's glossary defines "extract" as follows:

Extract - Choose relevant and/or appropriate details
They obviously expected students to be very liberal in their interpretation of the word.

(Edit: But in this case it's being used as a noun and not a verb. It's still not a big deal.)

will_17

I was under the same impression. It would make more sense.. wouldn't it?

= Jennifer =

HSC
after the exam our teacher told us it meant scenes i thanked god that i interpreted it like that...i also covered my back by doing to productions and interpretations...but alot of people thought it meant two quotes or two acts so there is going to be alot of discrepancy....

senso

Left BOS 11/04
HSC
N/A
jumb said:
It's DEFINATLY 2 scense, as they say, 2 extracts from the text. You assume that they want you to talk about productions aswell.
I think the question as it sits, definately means to take scenes or something from your text as well.
But they might take it easy and let you talk about productions instead, but i think as it is written it should be two scenes or section from the play and the talk about them in reference to productions and interpretations

Candypants

I don't think extracts meant productions; that's really not the right word. For a play like Lear, they should have specified, because you don't associate the word extract with a play all too often.

But I wrote about 2 scenes and 4 productions so I think I'm okay.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Lazarus, that term is for when the question asks something such as:
'Extract information from text A and comment on it"
It's interpretation would be different in this question:
"Choose an extract and comment on it"

They're different meanings. ALso pronounced slightly differently :p

i_am_carly

HSC
well... i sure hope that they meant 'scene' when they said 'extract' coz i only talked about the love test scene and the last scene...damn those board of studies people and their stupid language...

miss_salty

HSC
N/A
lazarus took extract as a verb.
but in the context of the question, extract means a passage/scene.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
They're different meanings.
Mm, yes, I suppose you're right... being used as a noun and not a verb.

Either way, I don't think it's nearly as problematic as most people are making it out to be.

(Edit: jumb and miss_salty beat me to it.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)