Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? (1 Viewer)

Tarna91

HSC
I am sitting my Amus exam for piano in less than 2 weeks. I am starting to stress and was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the exam? Especially the general knowledge content. What type of things do you need to know about the piece, composer and period (in detail)? Also what type of questions do they ask you, and how good do you need to play to pass?

Also does anyone have the AMEB syllabus? I don't, and was wondering if someone could tell me exactly what is says for the General Knowledge section of the Associate Diploma?

Thank you so much guys I am stressing so badly.

Njn

nvrB♯nvrB♭.alwaysB♮
HSC
Hey. I happen to have an AMEB syllabus on my desk. It is, however, a 2008 edition, so follow with warning :)

General Knowledge for AMusA and LMusA.

All questions will be asked from the piano score. Questions will be asked in the following areas:

- Formal structure of the piece, including keys and modulations
- Terminology - any markings, meanings of terms or titles used in the score
- Repertoire of the composer
- Style/historical context of the works presented e.g. texture, ornamentation, performance practice etc
- Instrument - historical development of the instrument as it relates to the works presented.

From looking at the AMusA syllabus performance objectives, it mostly doesn't look like anything new. I am though, a bit surprised by this one:

- The maintenance of unity and continuity in multi-movement works, including appropriate timing between, and linking of movements.

The way I'm interpreting this, it sounds like you can't take much of a break between movements in multi-movement works, correct me I'm wrong.

Don't you have a teacher to go through this with you?

Xuboy

HSC
I am sitting my Amus exam for piano in less than 2 weeks. I am starting to stress and was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the exam? Especially the general knowledge content. What type of things do you need to know about the piece, composer and period (in detail)? Also what type of questions do they ask you, and how good do you need to play to pass?

Also does anyone have the AMEB syllabus? I don't, and was wondering if someone could tell me exactly what is says for the General Knowledge section of the Associate Diploma?

Thank you so much guys I am stressing so badly.
tbh - for the general knowledge for example they ask you something about a prelude and fugue by bach (assuming ur doing this for ur list A) - and they ask eg "what does this sign mean" - just regurgitate everything you know about the piece - eg an appropriate answer would be - "this is bach's 5th prelude and fugue from book 1 in (this key). As appropriate to the period bach composed in - baroque period - the use of ornamentation was very common - and this is a mordent which is used extensively through out this prelude in binary form"

So ive pretty much answered like 5 questions there - minimising wat the examiners will ask you...just regurgitate EVERYTHING you know which is slightly relevant :)
i found it useful and it got me distinctions in both Amus and Lmus - :):)

-inh-

HSC
Does General Knowledge contribute a lot to your Amus exam results?

RBKSoulja

HSC
tbh - for the general knowledge for example they ask you something about a prelude and fugue by bach (assuming ur doing this for ur list A) - and they ask eg "what does this sign mean" - just regurgitate everything you know about the piece - eg an appropriate answer would be - "this is bach's 5th prelude and fugue from book 1 in (this key). As appropriate to .......
wth?? when i did my AMus all i had to do was hand in the programme notes and play and then couple of months later BAM distinction >< i never got tested on the theory hahaha lucky me

chichichip

chichichichichichichi....
HSC
you're meant to REMEMBER your general knowledge, not hand in program notes.

soupgivesmewings

HSC
Someone please help me :(
lmus a violin exam tomorrow morning!!!!
Examiners: John quaine and wendy lorenz.
I'm freaking out.
General knowledge has never been a strong point for me and i'm really worried
please help xxx
i will love you for an eternity if you help me
please
please
please
please
please
thankyou xxxx
soupy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)