HSC Marking - Music 1 (1 Viewer)

seanmc3

HSC
Yeah I know there's a specific music thread but I wasn't sure if it would be checked -

My question is -

In the performance exam, if, for example, I played guitar AND sang, would I be marked on both the guitar playing and the singing?

I believe I was told this at last years HSC Music Study day, where we were warned about taking up multiple instruments if we weren't really serious about both of them as both would be marked.

One of my class mates disagreed (Believing that I only receive marks for one) and my teacher has no idea.

Can someone clear this up?

TND WC

HSC
you get marked only on the one aspect. so if you specify that you are performing the piece based on your guitar skills, but you choose to sing. they only mark your guitar playing and vice versa
sauce: my teacher

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
If you play an instrument and sing you will be marked on both. My music teacher marked HSC and at our music study day they also told us they will mark you equally on both. So if you can only play repetitive chordal accompaniment and singing there's no point in playing. Your attention to detail is split between two things, you can get better marks on perfecting JUST playing an instrument or JUST singing. Focus on technique, style, personality and communication with an accompanist.

frecklejam

HSC
You will be marked on both 50/50. Choose what you are best at and get someone else to do the other. I think it's best to just focus on one instrument because it will scale up better
E.G.
from a possible 20, if you you sing and do well on both, you'll get, say 8/10 + 8/10, individually they are very good, but over all it'll only be 16/20.
if you did one instrument, that mark would probably be 18/20 because all the marking is focused on one aspect.

I like my teacher told my class "It's better to just do one thing in your performance, because if you play a heaps sick song on guitar, and you just decide to pick up a drumstick at the end, and hit a cymbal, 1/2 your mark will go into just that one hit of the cymbal"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)