Is music 1 how I expect it to be??? (1 Viewer)

Iccehy

HSC
Hey I'm in yr 10 and choosing my subjects! So I was considering music 1
I'm not sure if I'm making the right choice picking this subject though
If this helps I did an AMEB practical exam for 2nd grade and got an A and also did a 2nd grade theory exam and got 100%
Do we need to know how to compose?
Is there more practical or theory?

madharris

HSC
N/A
In music 1 (from my knowledge)
Yes you do need to compose, however you will learn how to do this. The composition will be based on the topic set by your teacher, an you will need to know how to integrate your musicality + knowledge of the instrument to compose your piece.
In year 11 you will need to do a composition, however in year 12 I do not believe you need to do one, unless you choose it as an elective.

Being 2nd grade, isn't amazing, however it's not the end of the world in terms of performance, yes of course you will need to perform at least 1 piece (maximum 4(?) depending on your electives). In music, you don't get marked on the difficulty of the piece but how you perform the piece. In otherwords, instead of playing a hard piece that makes you sound like shit, play a piece where you can show off your expression, your knowledge and control of the instrument, technicality as well as allows you to perform to the markers and not just play the piece.

The musicology (the written paper) is the biggest component of the subject and requires you to listen to unknown pieces and analyse them (similar to AOS english). I think there are about 3 or 4 pieces and they're worth 6-8ish marks (not 100% sure), and this is where you use your theory/musicianship/music craft skills (if you have any) and combine it with your knowledge of the concepts of music (pitch, duration, dynamics and expressive techniques, texture, tone colour and structure) to formulate written responses regarding the given question. - Don't worry if you don't know too much about the concepts at the moment as you will learn them in great depth.

You should speak to your schools music teachers as they know what the course demands and what is required for students, they will have had students such as yourself and can advise you on what to do. Also speak to your instrument teacher (not sure what it is) and he/she can also help you decide if it's the right subject to do as they know your musical ability. Finally, talk to your career advisor or someone similar as they probably have a sound knowledge on all subjects and can give you their own two cents.

I hope that helps, if you need any more help, don't hesitate to ask more :)

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
In music 1 (from my knowledge)
Yes you do need to compose, however you will learn how to do this. The composition will be based on the topic set by your teacher, an you will need to know how to integrate your musicality + knowledge of the instrument to compose your piece.
In year 11 you will need to do a composition, however in year 12 I do not believe you need to do one, unless you choose it as an elective.

Being 2nd grade, isn't amazing, however it's not the end of the world in terms of performance, yes of course you will need to perform at least 1 piece (maximum 4(?) depending on your electives). In music, you don't get marked on the difficulty of the piece but how you perform the piece. In otherwords, instead of playing a hard piece that makes you sound like shit, play a piece where you can show off your expression, your knowledge and control of the instrument, technicality as well as allows you to perform to the markers and not just play the piece.

The musicology (the written paper) is the biggest component of the subject and requires you to listen to unknown pieces and analyse them (similar to AOS english). I think there are about 3 or 4 pieces and they're worth 6-8ish marks (not 100% sure), and this is where you use your theory/musicianship/music craft skills (if you have any) and combine it with your knowledge of the concepts of music (pitch, duration, dynamics and expressive techniques, texture, tone colour and structure) to formulate written responses regarding the given question. - Don't worry if you don't know too much about the concepts at the moment as you will learn them in great depth.

You should speak to your schools music teachers as they know what the course demands and what is required for students, they will have had students such as yourself and can advise you on what to do. Also speak to your instrument teacher (not sure what it is) and he/she can also help you decide if it's the right subject to do as they know your musical ability. Finally, talk to your career advisor or someone similar as they probably have a sound knowledge on all subjects and can give you their own two cents.

I hope that helps, if you need any more help, don't hesitate to ask more :)
I'm considering doing Music 1 as one of my subjects as well. Would I need to know the stuff from years 9 & 10 cause I didn't choose it as my elective (I regret it...)? I've been doing piano since I was 8 and I'm currently doing AMEB Grade 6 and I have 3rd theory with 100%, so will this be beneficial?

madharris

HSC
N/A
I'm considering doing Music 1 as one of my subjects as well. Would I need to know the stuff from years 9 & 10 cause I didn't choose it as my elective (I regret it...)? I've been doing piano since I was 8 and I'm currently doing AMEB Grade 6 and I have 3rd theory with 100%, so will this be beneficial?
Although you're at a tiny bit of a disadvantage, being grade 3 theory will mean that it will be very easy to catch up as the majority of music 1 students would not have touched any kind of theory at all. In year 9/10, all your really do is scrape the concepts of music, however in year 11/12, you learn them in depth and you learn how to apply them to analysing unknown pieces. So basically to answer your question, yes you do need to know year 9 and 10 things, however it's really easy to catch up and even surpass your classmates after doing a bit of work.

I did music 2, however from what I know (from friends), music 1 is really fun! At my school they had quite a big class (I think 22 students), and all the stories that I've heard makes me sometimes wish that I did music 1. In music, everyone is good friends and it's fun to experience the last minute rush of your helping friends with performances, compositions and cramming as well as doing your own. Everyone helps each other and the topics are really interesting.

From what I know, you have to choose 3 topics from a variety of topics including:
Medieval music, Jazz, Australian music, An instrument and its repertoire, Baroque, methods of notating music, music for large ensembles, program music, music ineducation, music and religion, music of a culture, music of the 18th century, music of the 19th century, pop, the renaissance, music of the 20th and 21st centuries, rock, technology and its influence on music, theatre music and music and the related arts

If your'e scared about not knowing enough, you can always just learn the concepts of music and a bit of what each includes

good luck :)

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Although you're at a tiny bit of a disadvantage, being grade 3 theory will mean that it will be very easy to catch up as the majority of music 1 students would not have touched any kind of theory at all. In year 9/10, all your really do is scrape the concepts of music, however in year 11/12, you learn them in depth and you learn how to apply them to analysing unknown pieces. So basically to answer your question, yes you do need to know year 9 and 10 things, however it's really easy to catch up and even surpass your classmates after doing a bit of work.

I did music 2, however from what I know (from friends), music 1 is really fun! At my school they had quite a big class (I think 22 students), and all the stories that I've heard makes me sometimes wish that I did music 1. In music, everyone is good friends and it's fun to experience the last minute rush of your helping friends with performances, compositions and cramming as well as doing your own. Everyone helps each other and the topics are really interesting.

From what I know, you have to choose 3 topics from a variety of topics including:
Medieval music, Jazz, Australian music, An instrument and its repertoire, Baroque, methods of notating music, music for large ensembles, program music, music ineducation, music and religion, music of a culture, music of the 18th century, music of the 19th century, pop, the renaissance, music of the 20th and 21st centuries, rock, technology and its influence on music, theatre music and music and the related arts

If your'e scared about not knowing enough, you can always just learn the concepts of music and a bit of what each includes

good luck :)
Sounds like my cup of tea. Thanks man!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)