Music 1 or Music 2? (1 Viewer)

curious_egg

HSC
I'm going to be choosing music for my subject selection soon but i don't know whether to choose music 1 or music 2. What are the differences between the two?

Passed: CMus and Grade 5 theory (AMEB)
Learning AMus

:confused2::confused2::confused2:

madharris

HSC
N/A
CMus is certificate of performance right?

I recommend that you do music 2 purely because in my opinion, the exams are easier for someone with your theory knowledge than something like music 1 would be.

Differences
- Different topics (music 2 has a core topic of australian western art music of the last 20 year's + an elective whereas music 1 is basically choose any topic out of a huge variety)
- Different requirements ti complete the course (different combination of performance, written and composition)
- Theres sight singing in music 2
- In the written music 2 exams you get to read off scores whereas in music 1 you dont
- Theres a lot more competition in music 2 as many students are doing/have done their amus/lmus abd a high level of theory
- if you do music 2 then you'll be able to choose extension music in year 12

Theres probably a lot more differences but I cant think of any at the moment :p

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk

MrTammoth

HSC
Music 1 = Professional at performance has a great EAR. All about the performance great for the audition application to UNI.
Music 2 = Professional at performance has a great EAR and can handle music theory. Also music 2 is very handy for Con because requirements is music theory and you can get all that grade 5 music theory in music 2. Hence you're already doing Amus you'll have such a great advantage in music 2!!!!!! Also you have grade 5 music theory lmao MUSIC 2 will just be a revision cycle for you!

My advice is GO FOR MUSIC 2! Don't EVER REGRET choosing it. Take this opportunity to accumulate your knowledge of music!

Last edited:

butterflygrace

HSC
It does depend a little on what instrument you play, but I think you should definitely do Music 2!!
If you do AMEB exams you're probably a lot more suited to music 2 already, and seeing that the average music 2 AMEB level is about Grade 6 (higher for pianos, I think) you're definitely ready!! If you've done grade 5 theory as well that will help a lot.
From what I've seen at performance nights, Music 1 is geared more to people like singers and guitarists, mostly performing things like pop ballads, songs from musicals, jazz, rock, country, indie etc... so if you're doing AMus I'd assume you'd be better suited to Music 2.
Fewer people choose Music 2, but I think it's a much more worthwhile course. Also, if you do music 2 you can do extension in Year 12, which is REALLY good - if you do performance, it's not that much more work for 1 unit if you're already practicing a lot.
The only possible downside to music 2 is the core topic - Australian Music of the past 25 years. Most of the music is alright, but some of gives me nightmares. Also for music 2 (and possibly music 1? I'm not sure) you have to do a composition & keep a diary, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to work on your compositional skills :)
Music 2 is a lot of work, but you can manage it!! Good luck :)

saysesame

HSC
Basically what all the others have said :) Music 2 is assumed knowledge for a lot of the music degrees (single or combined) offered by universities. And the last 25 years topic isn't really all that bad! :p

Also I don't know that much about Musicianship but from my experience doing Music Craft, BOS's musicology/aural component is very different from AMEB theory. But I'm sure you'll be fine!

saysesame

HSC
And plus it also comes with bonuses like an endless cycle of self-loathing for free so why not

curious_egg

HSC
A little late... But thanks for all the suggestions! Really helped I'm leaning towards music 2 now :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)