Does the Music syllabus help you become a better musician? (1 Viewer)

psyd

HSC
Hi,

I would welcome some advice here. I have to make a choice between Art and Music at school next year, I love both and it's difficult to make the choice.

I play Jazz Guitar, am in a bunch of Jazz groups both at school and outside school. I busk a lot, and generally love playing music, I see myself perusing a musical career in the future. Because of the Jazz I do my knowledge of music theory is very strong, I also have a good ear and am not finding music lessons at school challenging.

I've never done any AMEB exams.

My question is this... does the Music HSC syllabus make you a better musician, or am I likely to learn just as much by busking and playing in a lot of bands anyway?

Any thoughts welcome, especially from anyone who was recently completed HSC Music.

Thanks

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi,

I would welcome some advice here. I have to make a choice between Art and Music at school next year, I love both and it's difficult to make the choice.

I play Jazz Guitar, am in a bunch of Jazz groups both at school and outside school. I busk a lot, and generally love playing music, I see myself perusing a musical career in the future. Because of the Jazz I do my knowledge of music theory is very strong, I also have a good ear and am not finding music lessons at school challenging.

I've never done any AMEB exams.

My question is this... does the Music HSC syllabus make you a better musician, or am I likely to learn just as much by busking and playing in a lot of bands anyway?

Any thoughts welcome, especially from anyone who was recently completed HSC Music.

Thanks
You can't learn photography without taking photos

You also can't learn how to program, by reading textbooks,..

SAME GOES WITH MUSIC :p, so the answer is no

psyd

HSC
I heard from the my school that given my interests in "contemporary music" (that's Jazz, Blues, Folk & Rock etc... and not classical), the next couple of years is best missed and if I do that then I can't do Music 2 or Extension Music. And if I want to do Music at Uni, then Music 2 & Extension Music is a requirement. It seems like the classical scene has monopolised HSC Music, or is that just at my school?

In response to the "I can play smoke on the water" comment, I can improvise to Jazz standards and play lead sheets on the fly. I know plenty of highly talented classical musicians including one AMusA dude who simply freeze when asked to jam. In my book that's a big mark against the whole AMEB thing, I bet Mozart could jam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)