Pieces for an alto saxophonist? (1 Viewer)

summonbolt

HSC
Hi, I need some help finding pieces. I'm about to go into HSC and want some suggestions for pieces. I want things that will challenge and reward me for my efforts. I also want pieces that would be good enough for a high level of assessment. If anyone is wondering, I've been playing the sax since I started Year 7 and am about to do a Grade 5 exam.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Are you doing Music 1 or Music 2? In Music 2, your pieces should be played at least at a Grade 8 level.

Zen2613

HSC
N/A
Hi, I need some help finding pieces. I'm about to go into HSC and want some suggestions for pieces. I want things that will challenge and reward me for my efforts. I also want pieces that would be good enough for a high level of assessment. If anyone is wondering, I've been playing the sax since I started Year 7 and am about to do a Grade 5 exam.
Could you atleast specify if you're doing M1 or M2? I did M2 so I'll answer your question for that.
It all depends on whether your doing performance elective or not. If so then you have to do 3 pieces, if not you only do 1.
When you are tested though if you do 3, you play them on the same day with the same markers. They will want to see a VARIETY of different skills as well as an ensemble piece. So for example, you could do 1 jazz ensemble piece, 1 classical piece, and one weird avant-garde/programmatic piece. If you are doing 1 piece then choose whatever music genre you're into and like, because the high marks come from expression rather than just technical ability. So do what you like, but an ensemble piece is better because it shows the markers you can take control of a piece.

If you don't know what specific pieces to play, try the AMC website http://www.australianmusiccentre.com.au/search. Its probably the best resource out there for HSC Music Students.

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)