Advice for Music 2 + Music Extension (1 Viewer)

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
In music extension, you choose an elective from; Performance, Composition or Musicology.

Performance - You play 2 pieces that total up to 10 minutes and you play another piece that has to be for a small ensemble (2 or more - you don't have to feature but your skill has to be noticeable). The 3 pieces have to be contrasting and the marking criteria requires a high technical level - moreso than Music 1 & 2. You still need to be able to expressively play the pieces.

Composition - 2 compositions (I think) of like 10 minutes total or something. Not too sure about this one and you might wanna double check the assessment reporting for Music Extension on NESA/BOSTES.

Musicology - 3000 word essay on some topic. Pretty cool if you're good at English and better at the theory aspect of music rather than practical.

For your Music 2 HSC, you have the aural exam, core practical, core composition, sight-singing and then your elective of either performance, composition or musicology. These electives are kind of a smaller scale of the extension music electives. (Performance - 2 pieces; Composition - 2 pieces; Musicology - 1500 word essay).

Have you decided which elective are you hoping to do for Music 2?

blackbird_14

HSC
Performance is definitely the easiest route to go. Though I didn't personally do music extension cause I'm not prodigy at violin, the musicology extension requires you to write about some area of music that no one else has written about, eg. one kid did it at my school and they wrote about their grandfather's old composition. I could be wrong, but if that's whee your strength lies as well, ask your teacher about it.

In terms of succeeding, well, get ready for long nights as you pull your composition together before the next assessment for it is due! Jk, but in all honesty, if you seek feedback from your teacher constantly about your comp, you'll be able to secure a great mark for that, it's the only mark you can really "guarantee" in a way of your external HSC music part. With musicology, practice writing many extended responses in 10 minutes with quotes and everything, just like English, and again, if you can get feedback on them all the better. and performance, well you can really only practice, like everyday, to succeed in that.

Good luck with your music endeavours :)

Last edited:

weeaboowarrior36

HSC
In music extension, you choose an elective from; Performance, Composition or Musicology.

Performance - You play 2 pieces that total up to 10 minutes and you play another piece that has to be for a small ensemble (2 or more - you don't have to feature but your skill has to be noticeable). The 3 pieces have to be contrasting and the marking criteria requires a high technical level - moreso than Music 1 & 2. You still need to be able to expressively play the pieces.

Composition - 2 compositions (I think) of like 10 minutes total or something. Not too sure about this one and you might wanna double check the assessment reporting for Music Extension on NESA/BOSTES.

Musicology - 3000 word essay on some topic. Pretty cool if you're good at English and better at the theory aspect of music rather than practical.

For your Music 2 HSC, you have the aural exam, core practical, core composition, sight-singing and then your elective of either performance, composition or musicology. These electives are kind of a smaller scale of the extension music electives. (Performance - 2 pieces; Composition - 2 pieces; Musicology - 1500 word essay).

Have you decided which elective are you hoping to do for Music 2?
Heyyy um just a quick question. If I was to do elective performance for music 2 and performance for music extension, will I be doing 2 performance, one composition, one aural exam and sight reading, one essay, and then for music extension i would be doing 3 performances; one group and 2 individual? I am kinda confused... :3

blackbird_14

HSC
Heyyy um just a quick question. If I was to do elective performance for music 2 and performance for music extension, will I be doing 2 performance, one composition, one aural exam and sight reading, one essay, and then for music extension i would be doing 3 performances; one group and 2 individual? I am kinda confused... :3
So the music 2 part of your exam would be 3 performances + sight singing (one core, two others), 1 Comp (core), 1 musicology paper (core, includes 10 mark extended response with dictation and stuff like that). Extension would be 3 more pieces, one group and 2 individual as you've said. So in total, you would have 6 pieces to prepare for the year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)