acetic and citric (1 Viewer)

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
what did you guys write for acetic and citric acid?

i put acitic acid is used in vinegar for food flavouring and citric in orange juice. man i am doomed aint I?

sub

acetic is vinegar isnt it? its for preservation of the food, cos bacteria's die...and not harmful to humans cos its weak acid.
correct me if im wrong

tennille

HSC
acetic acid and citric acid are used as food acids to make the food have a sharper taste. Citric acid can be used as an antioxidant, preventing the oxidation of food. microbes cannot withstand an acidic envronment, hence, these acids act as a preservative.

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
you are, but i am just not what citric acid is for, i mean which part of the F_(*king syllabus was that in?

tennille

HSC
the third section of the acidic environment thing. secondary source.

The Bograt

boredofuni
HSC
They can be added to food to alter it's taste, or provide a chemical reaction to achieve texture (BS). Also used to preserve food since some bacteria and microbes cannot live in an acidic environment.

sub

yeah, i said the sharper taste too...but how many ppl add citric acid to stuff? i kno ppl do for acetic. i sed makes the food more sour? is that right?

KungPow

HSC
I didn't refer to them specifically. I just talked about them both as a whole, compared to HCl :(

L45er

Booyakasha
HSC
Yeh citric acid is in heaps of foods.
I just cranked out the name of the organism (Clostridium Botulinum - trying to impress...lol) which can release deadly toxins into food. But it can't live in acidic conditions, hence thats is why they are used.

tennille

HSC
jeez, i should have made up my own words- then maybe i could have gotten away with it. "ldnfiererhfutos bacteria can create stuff that kills...". I wish i did mention bacteria...then that might impress the markers to give a decent result. But its too hard to remember... hehhe

The Bograt

boredofuni
HSC
hehe when I was talking about cationic detergents I busted out with cetyl trimethyl ammonium bromide :D

Last edited:

golferjim

HSC
i put that both the acids aid digestion as the stomach works best in acidic environments(HCl)

sub

bloodysunday said:
yeah i put all the flavouring and preservative stuff plus i said that you could make esters out of the acids which are good flavouring additives
thats not what the q asked was it??

tennille

HSC
it said something like describe the use of acetic acid and citric acid as a food additive...something like that.

tennille

HSC
actually, it says "explain the use of acetic and citric acids as food additives"

sub

so writing abt esters and shit is not expected right? cos i din do taht :(

scruffy012

HSC
SpoRTsGaL said:
acetic is ethanoic acid

i put that they are used to preserve the foods so that they would last longer and kill bacteria and some crap like that.

QUOTE]

yeah thats similiar to what i wrote, and i wrote that citric was used for something.............. i duuno what

scruffy

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
I said they were used as preservatives and as a food additive due to its "sour" taste. Very lame and was the last question i did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)