Ethanol fuel Q (1 Viewer)

ay_caramba

Crazily Sane.
HSC
How did u guys relate the data in the table to the advantages and disadvantages of using ethanol??

i guess the obvious one would be ethanol is renewable.. since it said in the table that it is made by fermentation while the others said fossil fuels..

what abt the boiling pts they included? has that got anything to do with the volatility of ethanol vs hydrocarbons?

sub

yeah...ethanol is a kiquid at room temps making it a better fuel than most hydrocarbons listed except octane...heat of combustion as well...more than half taht of octane, even though its less than half the molecular mass, makes it a better fuel...
and finally, ethanol burns cleaner as it requires less O2 to burn "completely"
renewable as well...but u had that...u can talk abt the brazil thingy for disadvantages. eg major land clearing, soil degradation etc.
i think that covers everything i rote...hope that helps :)

ay_caramba

Crazily Sane.
HSC
sub said:
yeah...ethanol is a kiquid at room temps making it a better fuel than most hydrocarbons listed except octane...heat of combustion as well...more than half taht of octane, even though its less than half the molecular mass, makes it a better fuel...
and finally, ethanol burns cleaner as it requires less O2 to burn "completely"
renewable as well...but u had that...u can talk abt the brazil thingy for disadvantages. eg major land clearing, soil degradation etc.
i think that covers everything i rote...hope that helps :)
oh ok i see... thanx
haha brazily thingy :) yeah i shouldve mentioned that

sub

i din explicitly mention it, but i sed everything abt it...shoulda sed it tho. damn. :(

lucyinthehole

uh.. i think i said that because it has a higher boiling point, it requires a higher energy input (as a disadvatage)... would this be in any way correct?

also, do you think we had to refer to all the 3 columns in the graph, or just any reference would count as a "tick"?

sub

lucyinthehole said:
uh.. i think i said that because it has a higher boiling point, it requires a higher energy input (as a disadvatage)... would this be in any way correct?

also, do you think we had to refer to all the 3 columns in the graph, or just any reference would count as a "tick"?
that last part is for the criteria to decide...sry, cant help there :(

high energy input...ur burning it? how much more energy do u need? my reasoning was if its a gas, as u use more, the more diluted the fuel becomes, so a liquid/solid fuel is better...thas y its a benefit, cos more constant fuel output in energy...if u kno what i mean. :) but if u explained it in the exam it could work...

bloodysunday

Galactic Hitch-hiker
HSC
umm i dont think that bp has much to do with it since it's about combustion more than anything else.
lucyinthehole said:
i hope that any reference would be ok cause i only referred to octane and ethanol... fingers crossed :eek:

The Bograt

boredofuni
HSC
- can be transported as a liquid (boiling point)
- renewable, as opposed to the other petrol chemicals made from crude oil and gas
- doesn't combust to form alot of energy
- engines must be modified
- combusts cleaner since it has oxygen in it, making it better for the environment
- requires lots of biomass --> land
I think something else too maybe, can't remember

sub

u missed large enrgy inputs for fermentation and distillation...but yeah thats it basically. :)

sub

usually they say quality, but if u write more...and dont rite crap u get the marks :) i make a habit of trying to go over the number of lines given...but sometimes u just cant :)

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
dammit i didn't mention any of the usual stuff cos i thought in your answer you were only supposed to write info you got from the table. Stupid wording again..

sub

yeah this exam was full of em...esp industrial and the plant site thingy...u could talk about soooo mcuh, but the q made u think u only had to do a little.

they like ppl hu can crap on and on and on... :)

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I got to a second booklet for this question. Go me!

sub

damn straight jumb...u show that q hu's boss...howd u find the test tho overall??

xeriphic

err for me

advantages
oxgenated fuel - complete combustion - reduce pollutants
renewable - fermentation
varies ways to be produced - hydration, fermentation
petrol-ethanol blend reduce toxic emissions by 30% in the atmosphere

disadvantages
engines need modification
low heat of combustion - leads to more energy
inefficient if energy required to tend crops for fermentation comes from fossil fuels
land needed for growing crops - fermentation

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
overall for this question i said that it was not a suitable alternative. it was an evaluate or assess question right????? although i did mention some advantages at the beginning of my response

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)