Ex-Advanced people (1 Viewer)

I used to do Advanced, but dropped down to general and...

• I am so glad I did, I aced that exam!

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • I am glad I did, I did better in that exam than I ever would have done in Advanced.

Votes: 29 38.2%
  • I am upset because I didn't do as well as I should have coming from Advanced.

Votes: 9 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

waterfowl

HSC
I know I am glad I dropped down to General Maths, that was soooo much easier than the advanced exam would have been...and I love multiple choice!

Jake_434

The King of England
HSC
Yeah, one of the smartest things I've done. And it gave me time to focus on my other subjects, that deal with more complex maths problems than my maths course does :cool:

ViolentJ

Uncle Banger
HSC
I'm actually disappointed with my decision to drop to general from advanced. I was ranked 9 in advanced out of 36 and for some reason decided to drop. I hate simple things which u get in general. I love long formulas and just writing out pages of maths. I didnt know that until after I dropped and then it was too late. I should've stayed in advanced. But I still went alright I reckon.

elizarose

i only dropped at the end of year eleven from 2-unit to general so i missed all the prelim stuff (but my ever so enjoyable summer holidays were spent catching up on this stuff!!) I can only think of how well i have actually gone in this course after chagning from 2 unit to general!!

dave_119

Banned
HSC
where the fuck is the option, of i dropped to general cause i'm lazy, but i should have stayed in adv because it would have given me better marks!!!

Cab31

HSC
Jake_434 said:
Yeah, one of the smartest things I've done. And it gave me time to focus on my other subjects, that deal with more complex maths problems than my maths course does :cool:
that is so true. its not so much that you cant do the advanced maths but it is so time consuming!! i remember it used to take the teacher like the whole lesson to explain one thing and then we would have like a whole chapter for homework which meant less time to concentrate on other subjects.
i have done so much better across the board since i dropped and i never picked up a book outside the general maths room. i would recommend it to anyone.

HSC
N/A
Yes and no. I'm doing better in General than in 3U (which I could do but not very well at all) but I constantly find myself trying to over-do things. For example, that "what is the south-east angle" (Q24 I think).

I couldn't get it. I tried SO many formulae.

Coming out of the exam, apparently it was a given and that I should have just "assumed" that it was true SE. But no. glitterfairy had to try and "calculate" it. And thus, two marks have gone down the drain...

aussie_rocks

Go general!!

:D :eek: Its not just the content that is easier, there is so much less stress in general! i mean, i now actualy enjoy doing maths, where as in advanced it was a total downer all the time... its a good course, coz u can do really well in it, bu its not like u can totaly bludge ur way thru it and ace it.. its such a relief!

PC

HSC
N/A
Despite what the Universities tell you, General Maths is DEFINITELY more useful in most Uni courses than 2u, 3u or 4u.

If you do a Psychology course for example, then all the stats that gets done in General is a good starting point for the stuff you have to do in that course.

The other subjects might be really good if you're doing stuff like Pure Maths (but who would), Physics, Chemistry, Engineering.

And General is certainly more stressful than the other subjects!

stef since 1986

Cab31 said:
that is so true. its not so much that you cant do the advanced maths but it is so time consuming!! i remember it used to take the teacher like the whole lesson to explain one thing and then we would have like a whole chapter for homework which meant less time to concentrate on other subjects.
i have done so much better across the board since i dropped and i never picked up a book outside the general maths room. i would recommend it to anyone.
im exactly the same. didnt open the text book outside the class fr the entire year and i rkn i aced the test.. best decision i ever made. :uhhuh:

cwilson

General maths was one of the best things i ever did.

i was coming like 109th out of like 130 and i dropped to general and now im coming second.
i simply did the exercises and revised plus it was study that actually relaxed me cause i could do it.

i love general

pussy_cat

Hyper
HSC
Hell Yeah, I dropped to general 4 weeks before the hsc after gettin my adv. trial results back, The concepts actually make sense, its not all graphs and integration, so i reckon i did so much better than i would have in adv. my trial mark was so shit i just dropped it and im happy.

HSC
i'm just starting year 12 and i was considering dropping

... you've totally encouraged me to do so BUT what is the scaling like for general?

i know it is worse than normal maths but i heard you can still get a mark of up to 89...

is that right?

and do most mathematics - 2 unit marks stay the same ?
cos it would be better to get 89 in general after scaling than getting like 70 in advanced yet to be scaled?

greentree

scaling isn't very good unless you do like super-well i think, but its way easy so you generally do pretty ok if you drop. i did cause i did no homework in adv so i didnt really know what we were doing, then i did the same in general and you don't need to know what your doing cause its easy!!i loved general:) the worst part is when you make way dumb mistakes, which i tend to do:( who caRES, its finished!!!!!!!!!:)

7th Sign

HSC
after looking at this stuff i think its pretty good that ive dropped from 2 unit to general :)

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
i only droped to general in second term this year, so i missed out on all the prelin couse, and half of the HSC.
But i still came 12th in the trial, after a grand total of one day's study. Best thing i ever did

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
when I did General, i transferred into the course one day before the half yearly in year 12, and got 89 with a 10 minute skim through the textbook before going into the exam. Came first in the class, and dragged everybody else's marks up. The fucking school dropped me from proper Mathematics to General despite the fact my marks in the advanced course were still in the 60's. Selective high schools, your marks are never good enough for them.

But seriously, fuck the marks, I got a shit UAI and I got into USYD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)