Body of Work Ideas (1 Viewer)

Spunge12

HSC
Are you guys willing to toss around your ideas and give feedback?

I'll start.
I'm doing a contrast on early 19th century chinese culture to todays sensory overloaded culture.
I'm portraying this on perspecs (like glass, but plastic), using paint and ink. I have yet to try and draw on it with some sort of pen.

What are you guys doing?

Hermzie

rarrrrrrrrr
HSC
Great concept, but why perspecs? I've never painted on it before...does it create a certain effect or something?

The concept that I've been tossing around lately is the appropriation of classical portraits of women in a de Kooning style, but I'm not sure if it'll sustain my interest because it gets pretty frustrating after awhile.

I'm floundering a bit right now...

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Hey spungey dude.

Your idea is interesting. Contrast of chinese old and new cultures, thats something i've never seen or heard of really except of in this show on the guy who created Bing Lee and taking his modernised Chinese sons back to China...the contrast of their ritzy life here and the peasant life there was amazing...oh crapski, going off on a tangent there. Oh well.

Any examples of this perspex painting idea? Or is it entirely of your own creationness? I've seen little kids paint crappily on it, but i'm sure you're going to do a wonderful job, it sounds a bit like glass painting somewhat.

I'm doing a the portrayal of Ophelia's spiral into madness through various photography techniques; hand printed black and white, film, digital, underwater, maybe polaroid...
Its entirely narrative and there is ALOT of story board work I must work on.
It'll be printed on inkjet canvas, transparencies, fakiing some sort of polaroids and yeah, whatever, I dunno how it'll turn out but it'll be pretty...there'll also be a bit of textiles work on it too..

Stay well
xx
Lanny

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Spunge12 said:

I'll start.
I'm doing a contrast on early 19th century chinese culture to todays sensory overloaded culture.
I'm portraying this on perspecs (like glass, but plastic), using paint and ink. I have yet to try and draw on it with some sort of pen.

What are you guys doing?
a very interesting idea. another twist on the generalised constant "radical youth vs. conservative elderly" battle i assume.

i wonder, how are you going to contrast 19th century culture with today's culture? through colour? lighting? shadows?...i would concentrate on clothing, facial expressions and things that would represent their values at the time.

just some suggestions: would be nice to collect some stuff from both eras, or read some history books on China at the time.

one thing i would like to say: opium in the 19th century china was big. BIG. think about china's defeat of the Opium War. apparently (from my knowledge) the chinese had to give up some ports, face tariffs, and had to give hong kong away to the british. chilling stuff.

so, i strongly urge for you

dfAreNt

HSC
Spunge12 said:

I'll start.

What are you guys doing?
Hey Andrew :p

Umm, dont want to give too much away but,
I'm doing my piece based on the subject of conformity and difference in todays society in reference to adolescents.
This shall mainly be a digital work, much photography and much digital manipulation.

Spunge12

HSC
Fucking pat! lol.
I'll be chasing down your work in Art Express, i'm sure, you clever bastard.

As for everyone else, thanks for the ideas.
I've been toying with the idea and how to bring it across, and my painting skills didn't suit the styling, so it just wasnt possible.
Perspecs is an interesting medium to work on, i love it. It gives great effects when painting on both sides, depending on your style.

My idea has evolved to a streamline of human conciousness with some of my overloaded culture ideas still in place.

Sweet_Karma

[Sweet_Karma]
HSC
im drawing im not really sure what my whole conept is, its sort of screwing me over , ill just have to do it and then think over what my concept is lol good luck to me eh

misspeta

HSC
I'm doing photography. I'm photographing stereotypes and dressing my sister up in 10 stereotypes in society today. Each stereotype will have 3 photos, 2 emphasising the main characteristics of the stereotype and the other the main picture of the stereotype.

biggie walls

HSC
im questioning the relevance of existentialism to the average person living in our capitalist society...

to the distaste of most of my class members im taking a post-modern approach to this... but ive got the backing of my teacher so yeah...!

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
biggie walls said:
im questioning the relevance of existentialism to the average person living in our capitalist society...

to the distaste of most of my class members im taking a post-modern approach to this... but ive got the backing of my teacher so yeah...!
questioning the relevance of existentialism. sounds like you've got a challenge.

please explain what this "existentialism" means. it is best if you can provide these forum members with exactly what your trying to achieve in your artwork.

biggie walls

HSC
basically, it is the theory of emphasising action and freedom in decision making in broader life... doing what you want in life - throwing yourself in the deep end sorta thing.

But most people including myself to a degree are stuck on this capitalist idea of "get a job with good pay and your OK"

so people follow a "career path" school > uni > climb coporate ladder

this is very anti-existential...and i saw it quite relevent to our stage in life (yr 12)

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
biggie walls said:
basically, it is the theory of emphasising action and freedom in decision making in broader life... doing what you want in life - throwing yourself in the deep end sorta thing.

But most people including myself to a degree are stuck on this capitalist idea of "get a job with good pay and your OK"

so people follow a "career path" school > uni > climb coporate ladder

this is very anti-existential...and i saw it quite relevent to our stage in life (yr 12)
very very very interesting concept. brilliant!

well, what stance are you going to take concerning this? is existentialism relevant in our society? how is it percieved in society by other people? are you going to take two cases and do two artworks that contrast each other?

your ideas sound very interesting. i am and perhaps some forums members are, eager to know how you are going to take this theme.

biggie walls

HSC
yeah basically just is it relevant in a society where we generally are all working towards one goal - money and success

not to give too much away but im going to use parody and satire via a range of digital media...

anyway you can trust me im just another joe bloggs.. i just know a "big" buzz word or two...

AlyBum

HSC
I think you guys have really got some great ideas! With the students in my Visual Arts class, We kinda just got told to get a canvas and paint some sort of concept that protrays a message!.. Listening to you guys it seems you really got it going on!! Im doing a series of paintings protraying the impact of terrorism and "Negative" things on the world.. Im kinda trying to say in my painting that it is hard for us to have "The perfect world".. Because of the way the world is at the moment!.. We value family, friends much greater, because OUR WORLD in reality is not safe, We have to escape reality to find this santuary Of perfectness!..
It might sound okay .. But i think its crap!! Im stressing out! I believe its not HSC material.. !! Neways Im just complementing you all on your ideas! Well Done!!!.. If you guys have any further ideas 4 my work.. Dont hesitate to let me know what you think!!
Thankyou! Aly...

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
some good, no, excellent ideas peoples!

a lot of ideas are quite relevant to our society. many, expressed here, seem to want to express and reveal the dark side of our seemingly democratic world, and tackle fundamental issues that govern our lives. thats a good thing.

for this, i suggest that you all regularly read the newspapers or get some form of news coverage, whether it be the news on tv, radio, internet, magazine, newspaper...these will certainly help you a lot in brainstorming ideas.

joe1016

HSC
wow, from all the ideas i haev read so far its starting to be intimidating.

My i dea is basically looking at the landscape from where i grew up. The line, the form, incorporating technique as part of my concept. I love fred williams, john firth smith------ even boyd and whitely too.

also the way that cubism deconsructed the landscape around them. i guess my concept is kinda weak, art for arts sake and i like it.

any thoughts?

HinikuTheNinja

one helluva naughty ninja
HSC
^ A girl in my class is doing something similar to that, using one source/landscape and painting it in different styles, or something to that effect. ^_^

I'm doing something about the beauty of love, how the body expresses love, and loves indisicrimant nature (at least, I think that's what I'm doing...) . It's going to be a series of photos, along with four panels with simple silk screen prints on them. I've painted two of the canvases - now I've just gotta get my models all sorted out! ^__^

Keep up with the good work, everyone! Sounds like ya'll got ood ideas being thrown around - funfunfun!

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
here's my 2 cents...

joe1016 said:
wow, from all the ideas i haev read so far its starting to be intimidating.

My i dea is basically looking at the landscape from where i grew up. The line, the form, incorporating technique as part of my concept. I love fred williams, john firth smith------ even boyd and whitely too.

also the way that cubism deconsructed the landscape around them. i guess my concept is kinda weak, art for arts sake and i like it.

any thoughts?
your idea/theme seems perfectly fine. there isnt anything wrong with it, but as long as u are clear in expressing your message. what opinion do u have of your landscape that you grew up on? what kind of 'personal connection' do u have with that land/birthplace?

its good that u actually have mentioned some artists - they are going to be your focal point in terms of the medium used, the techiques + methods employed, not to mention THEIR ideas and concepts as well.

and the idea of cubism 'deconstructing the landscape'...sounds quite interesting...perhaps u could do something on how ur landscape has been changed and distorted with time, how it is different/similiar now to what u experienced when u were growing up.

so, ask these questions to urself:

-what message are you trying to illustrate?
-how r u going to add ur own 'personal style' into these artworks?
-how are these artists mentioned going to influence ur artmaking + art practice?

hope it helps, M.D.

joe1016

HSC
thanx MD for your two cents

thats kinda reassuring. Actually i visited artexpress today with my school and i found some works on a similar train of thought to mine, there's a couple at newington armory that i liked tooo. im starting to feel a bit more comfortable with it all

thanx 4 that

Spunge12

HSC
If anyone is really stuck and can't paint well (but will not admit it) check out Basquait.

Self identity is not always easy to do though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)