2014 HSC BoWs - How is it going? Thoughts and feelings? (1 Viewer)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Post progress on how your BoW for VA 2014 is going! It would also be really awesome HSC graduates shared tips on getting through the year and completing their BoWs!

For me, I've got my idea cemented (examining science and ethics in my BoW) and all I need to do is decide what practice I want to do for one aspect of my work before I start figuring out logistics and actually starting. (My work has 3 aspects)

I'm really excited to start, because I'm really passionate about my concept and what I want to explore within it! Just hope I don't burn out. My teacher made us write a crazy timeline and I feel overwhelmed looking at it haha :p

How is everyone else going?

zeroni

HSC
N/A
Hey man :)
Good to hear that you've gotten somewhere-it sounds like you're doing pretty well. I've got an idea of what I'm doing, but still a little torn between two ideas. Don't know whether to explore the effect of social expectations on the human face or ephemeral and transient moments. My teacher said that we have ages to decide (these holidays) and that we should have it finalised by early Term 1 so we can actually start. So keen but so scared to actually begin putting the work together. Luckily there's time haha.

I almost forgot about VA amidst all the maths and other subjects LOL. Hopefully we can pull through.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Good to hear that you've gotten somewhere-it sounds like you're doing pretty well. I've got an idea of what I'm doing, but still a little torn between two ideas. Don't know whether to explore the effect of social expectations on the human face or ephemeral and transient moments. My teacher said that we have ages to decide (these holidays) and that we should have it finalised by early Term 1 so we can actually start. So keen but so scared to actually begin putting the work together. Luckily there's time haha.

I almost forgot about VA amidst all the maths and other subjects LOL. Hopefully we can pull through.
Wow, both ideas sounds really awesome-what mediums have you experimented with? keep working hard and you will be fine-remember, you are not alone:) Please don't forget VA for the rest of this year-it is really a subject that you've got to keep working hard on-otherwise it will become an overwhelming amount of work. Happy holidays and I suggest perhaps checking out my two posts in VA-it might help you:) Best wishes for your HSC year-may you have an awesome BOW:)

One more advice-yes, there is time-but you will find time flies in HSC-so don't be too complacent:)

zeroni

HSC
N/A
Wow, both ideas sounds really awesome-what mediums have you experimented with? keep working hard and you will be fine-remember, you are not alone:) Please don't forget VA for the rest of this year-it is really a subject that you've got to keep working hard on-otherwise it will become an overwhelming amount of work. Happy holidays and I suggest perhaps checking out my two posts in VA-it might help you:) Best wishes for your HSC year-may you have an awesome BOW:)

One more advice-yes, there is time-but you will find time flies in HSC-so don't be too complacent:)
Yeah I checked your other posts in VA; thank you so much. It's genuinely so motivating haha. I've experimented with perspex, which is the medium that I'm working with. Something akin to this: http://api.ning.com/files/u-WTCMwwA...hOawI1tZ5fHXRIaFzCTAzSgY4qF/yosmanbotero1.jpg

The only problem that's stressing me out is my concept. I'm leaning towards the social expectations one but I saw a work like that in the 2007 ArtExpress and don't want to get screwed over for "plagiarism" or anything of the sort :/

fatassmcfat

HSC
I've finished my planning for the first of 3 thingies and started today. Hopefully I'll finish by the end of hols....then i have 3 terms to easily do the other 2 :alone:

My concept is about how people can be happy and crack jokes and stuff when in public with friends, but you get home you get this weird sad lonely feeling like you actually didnt achieve anything significant in life and try to distract yourself from that guilt/depression by indulging in primal pleasures e.g. binge eating, masturbation......OK the concept sounds sooo bad but I like the way it looks visually

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I checked your other posts in VA; thank you so much. It's genuinely so motivating haha. I've experimented with perspex, which is the medium that I'm working with. Something akin to this: http://api.ning.com/files/u-WTCMwwA...hOawI1tZ5fHXRIaFzCTAzSgY4qF/yosmanbotero1.jpg

The only problem that's stressing me out is my concept. I'm leaning towards the social expectations one but I saw a work like that in the 2007 ArtExpress and don't want to get screwed over for "plagiarism" or anything of the sort :/
Well, although you may use similar materials, you can use the materials in a creative way to explore your concept from different facets, have you thought about using other materials? So like, Perspex may be just a component of your BOW, and you can have other components like drawing, or sculpture, or a collage? What mediums are you the most confident and comfortable in working in besides Perspex? If you are leaning towards the social expectations one-perhaps you should do a more detailed mind map and even a thorough google search of the many different ways in which social expectations can be expressed-not just in Perspex, in other mediums as well, I think if you stick a photo of the work from 2007 Art express into your Visual Arts Diary and make it an influence/inspiration for your work-than you won't be screwed over for plagiarism, art express is a source of inspiration for a lot of students, so don't avoid recognition of your sources, even if they are by HSC students-it shows that you are doing some good research:) What artists have you looked into so far?

Maybe broaden your concept a little bit-like don't just restrict it to social expectations effects on the human face, expand it to a more general thematic concern of social expectation, and then you can diverge many more ideas, i.e. what social expectations do you want to focus on-on gender roles, race, stereotypes, those that are enforced by the mass media, what age group-all age groups? or just adolescents, children, teenagers, adults, old people? Are you going for a more abstract representation or semi-abstract or realistic? Are you showing the restraints that social expectations have on our behaviour or do you want to show the freedom that individual still manages to find despite social expectations-by rebelling against them? Or do you want to show both facets? Are you going to investigate the source of social expectation? What effect does social expectation have on our well being physically, socially, emotionally, psychologically, over a short or long term period? Do you intend to make a strong social comment on the effects of these social expectation or is your purpose merely to bring to consciousness the existence of these expectations?

Would the faces be real or digitally constructed? Would they be faces of people you know-like friends and family or random strangers? Would they be multiple faces amalgamated into one? Or would it be one face but can be seen from different angles to share different emotions?

Do you think potentially photography-in both the traditional and digitally manipulated forms might possibly enhance your idea? If so, how? if not, why? (i.e. you might not be comfortable with photography), similarly ask yourself these questions to other possible mediums you may be inclined to use-don't have a too fixated idea that it is just Perspex, welcome other possibilities and write them down-the more fixed idea you have about your major work at the start of the year, the harder it is to develop and improve on it-I think answering the questions above by yourself will enable you to expand your mind map a lot more and possibly prevent you from 'copying' the 2007 art express work by coming up with an equally unique idea about social expectations and the way you are presenting it. Hope that will get some creative juices flowing:)

Last edited:

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC

Hey :p

Investigate both ideas and how to present it!! I think looking into the ephemeral and transient moments will be an interesting concept to explore, purely because I feel as though works that are attached to a social context are sometimes overdone? IDK, depends on the way you approach it I guess :p What did your teacher say about your concepts?

HAHA maths :p Maths has actually taken over my life....4U represent

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC

I'm going into drawing (colour and sketch). It's going to be crazy, but hopefully I can produce something haha :p I'm definitely going to work on my BoW, I'm really excited to start. Also your posts on the VA threads were amazing, thank you so much for the advice!!

I hope you achieved your HSC and ATAR goals, too! :)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I've finished my planning for the first of 3 thingies and started today. Hopefully I'll finish by the end of hols....then i have 3 terms to easily do the other 2 :alone:

My concept is about how people can be happy and crack jokes and stuff when in public with friends, but you get home you get this weird sad lonely feeling like you actually didnt achieve anything significant in life and try to distract yourself from that guilt/depression by indulging in primal pleasures e.g. binge eating, masturbation......OK the concept sounds sooo bad but I like the way it looks visually
Congrats on finishing your planning! What mediums are you working with?

Your concept is actually pretty cool :p It reminds me of A Beautiful Mind, in the sense that, on the exterior, Robert Nash appeared to be a magnificent mathematician, but inside, he was haunted by his own demons. (only mentioning this because AMB has inspired my work LOL)

norwegianwood

HSC
haha wow
are you okay?

norwegianwood

HSC
i went back to school today and got my VAPDs back, looking through them i had noooo idea what i was doing this time last year. i didn't get my shit together until march, started a large piece with 24hrs to go before the due time, and it all worked out okay (98 final mark & agnsw artexpress). my point is that you shouldn't be afraid to change your concept/medium throughout the year because it's "too late" or anything, changing and developing your ideas could be for the best.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm going into drawing (colour and sketch). It's going to be crazy, but hopefully I can produce something haha :p I'm definitely going to work on my BoW, I'm really excited to start. Also your posts on the VA threads were amazing, thank you so much for the advice!!

I hope you achieved your HSC and ATAR goals, too! :)
Thanks rumbleroar:), what a coincidence that I also did a lot of drawings for my body of work:) Best wishes for everything-I have no doubt your BOW will turn out to be nothing short of amazing:)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Thanks rumbleroar:), what a coincidence that I also did a lot of drawings for my body of work:) Best wishes for everything-I have no doubt your BOW will turn out to be nothing short of amazing:)
Awesome!! Do you have any pictures of your BoW? Curious to see what it looks like! And haha thank you :p I'm going to try my best because I want to get into art express lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
i went back to school today and got my VAPDs back, looking through them i had noooo idea what i was doing this time last year. i didn't get my shit together until march, started a large piece with 24hrs to go before the due time, and it all worked out okay (98 final mark & agnsw artexpress). my point is that you shouldn't be afraid to change your concept/medium throughout the year because it's "too late" or anything, changing and developing your ideas could be for the best.
Wow 24 hrs before?? I've heard of people doing their BoW 10 hours before it's due hahaha but congrats on art express!!! What ideas did you play with throughout the year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

norwegianwood

HSC
Wow 24 hrs before?? I've heard of people doing their BoW 10 hours before it's due hahaha but congrats on art express!!! What ideas did you play with throughout the year?Tapatalk
yeah it was one of many allnighters done for my major work. i finished at 2pm with an hour to spare and missed all my classes that day. i'm not sure if i was even marked present at school lol. i lived and breathed VA all year and honestly miss it. everyone puts shit on art for being a non-subject but it was always my favourite from like k-12. ANYWAY. haha the shit i came up with before settling on what i did... so embarrassing. i was going to do something with medical diagrams but had no concept. then it was something to do with my favourite writers but that didn't last. then something about buildings as bodies and bodies as buildings wtf. i eventually just kept drawing and papercutting and stitching around a consistent theme and the broad concept of interconnectedness/complexity/architecture/infrastructure developed easily from there. i did get sidetracked a couple of times and drifted into making some shitty 'connections to place' pieces which i just got rid of (a few weeks of work wasted lol).

i'd definitely recommend making a 'blurb' book as part of your b.o.w. if you have time because if done well it will definitely add marks. get it printed on the most expensive paper though obviously. someone bought a copy of mine online during the marking period haha, it's so flattering especially because they would have paid at least $77 for the cheapest version and then postage costs for something i made. :)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
yeah it was one of many allnighters done for my major work. i finished at 2pm with an hour to spare and missed all my classes that day. i'm not sure if i was even marked present at school lol. i lived and breathed VA all year and honestly miss it. everyone puts shit on art for being a non-subject but it was always my favourite from like k-12. ANYWAY. haha the shit i came up with before settling on what i did... so embarrassing. i was going to do something with medical diagrams but had no concept. then it was something to do with my favourite writers but that didn't last. then something about buildings as bodies and bodies as buildings wtf. i eventually just kept drawing and papercutting and stitching around a consistent theme and the broad concept of interconnectedness/complexity/architecture/infrastructure developed easily from there. i did get sidetracked a couple of times and drifted into making some shitty 'connections to place' pieces which i just got rid of (a few weeks of work wasted lol).

i'd definitely recommend making a 'blurb' book as part of your b.o.w. if you have time because if done well it will definitely add marks. get it printed on the most expensive paper though obviously. someone bought a copy of mine online during the marking period haha, it's so flattering especially because they would have paid at least $77 for the cheapest version and then postage costs for something i made. :)
I feel the allnighters coming on....wishing I wasn't a serial procrastinator lolol wowow you're insane!! congrats on finishing it, I think you showed me your BoW and it was awesome!! I loved it!! I think I'm going to see artexpress works next year as part of a school excursion, so hopefully I'll be seeing yours :D

dude, art is one of my fave subs as well!! I can't believe you went through so many ideas :O you must have a lot of concepts you wanted to explore! I feel so narrow because I only have one concept I really wanted to look at haha.

What do you mean by a 'blurb' book? I'm including some ind of booklet which explains a portion of my BoW, which, according to my timeline, will be whipped out pretty much two weeks before my BoW is due (only 8 months to go?!) and wow, that's amazing! It's so awesome how someone bought your work :D Did you photocopy it to make heaps of copies or something?

norwegianwood

HSC
What do you mean by a 'blurb' book? I'm including some ind of booklet which explains a portion of my BoW, which, according to my timeline, will be whipped out pretty much two weeks before my BoW is due (only 8 months to go?!) and wow, that's amazing! It's so awesome how someone bought your work :D Did you photocopy it to make heaps of copies or something?
http://au.blurb.com/
it's like a legit bound book, it turns out soooo nice.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Already had a semi formal mark of VAPD's >_< as it wasn't being assessed the art teachers kinda got a bit cranky with the lack of effort some of us put in :O

I'm doing ceramics/drawing at this stage

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Already had a semi formal mark of VAPD's >_< as it wasn't being assessed the art teachers kinda got a bit cranky with the lack of effort some of us put in :O

I'm doing ceramics/drawing at this stage
woah, you guys got marked on the quality of your VAPD's?! damn, that would probably suck :/

what's your concept? ceramics (tbh, any type of sculpture) is really hard! I was going to do wire sculpture but was like, nup out :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)