Art major helppp!!!! (1 Viewer)

asdfghjklmz

HSC
What are some cliché concepts students use for their major? I want to avoid them so please help!

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Judging by artexpress at AGNSW this year, a lot of the concepts there dealt with environmental degradation and cultural identity. It's hard to avoid "cliche" ideas, but as long as you tap into its niches or twist it into a way that makes it more complex than just looking at a cliche idea, that can really make your work more conceptually rich.

I suggest you look artexpress from previous years. A lot of them are personal, so that's not-cliche in itself because everyone's experiences are different.

Best of luck!! (have you started your major yet? :eek:)

asdfghjklmz

HSC
Judging by artexpress at AGNSW this year, a lot of the concepts there dealt with environmental degradation and cultural identity. It's hard to avoid "cliche" ideas, but as long as you tap into its niches or twist it into a way that makes it more complex than just looking at a cliche idea, that can really make your work more conceptually rich.

I suggest you look artexpress from previous years. A lot of them are personal, so that's not-cliche in itself because everyone's experiences are different.

Best of luck!! (have you started your major yet? :eek:)
I started but then I stopped because I didn't like the way it was going. It was culture related so blehh
Then I decided to do environmental degradation but it seems like a lot of people have done it :/

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
There really isn't a cliche topic-as long as you can put your own twist or take onto things, I think a very cliche way of representing certain ideas is either doing realistic self portraits or doing a series of drawings involving the human eye-I have seen many past major works and the these two forms of representation is very hard to not be cliched-unless of course you have a unique idea and other complementary forms of presentation to go along with it..

fatassmcfat

HSC
To be honest even though people make it sound like you need 'concept' from what Ive seen as long as it looks good, markers dont care...if you see all the art express works its obvious they just drew/painted the thing cause they are good at it and have been doing it for long, and attached a 'concept' on it later on (e.g. hyperrealistic portraits of faces are there every year, and also the extremely tiny detailed architectural sketches of urban decay). So just do what you have been doing longest and it should be fine

sm_moon

HSC
is it alright to have an artwork with the dimension of 4m x 0.4m? on the guidelines page, it says that your artwork shouldn't exceed the area of 2m^2 and it gives examples of the allowed dimensions, but it doesn't say anything about having your artwork too long.... help plz

tacorrito

HSC
Is your artwork one whole piece, or made of smaller pieces?

Doing the calculations, your work should be fine. You should ask your teacher to double-check, just to make sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)