2015 BoWs - Progress page. Thoughts and feelings? (1 Viewer)

moonshoes

HSC
N/A
Post here all your thoughts and feelings about your BoW for 2015!

If anyone has any survival tips or advice that could help us 2015ers through the creative process post them :)

***​

Right now I'm still working on my concept and practice. Mainly just VAPD jotting and searching for snippets of inspiration.
My short term goal: to have my concept down pat by the end of next week and start doing preliminary sketches, ordering canvases and supplies and getting ready to start by week 8/9/10.

I'm a little apprehensive about starting. In the past with major works I've been really indecisive and always chop and change ideas...
What I am looking forward to is just chilling down in the art room doing my major work with the rest of the class over the next year :p

*(to continue rumbleroar's legacy:) )

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
1. Start experimentation ASAP
2 Actually start BOW and not stuff around for 1 and 1/2 terms 'researching' when in reality you know what to do..
3. http://arc.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/standards-packs/SP01_15400/ look at this
4. Look into the amount of ceramics, paintings, photography and see the type of 'cohort' of BOWs you are competing against state wide.
5. Stick any ideas into VAPD no matter how dodgy

Fiction

HSC

If anyone has any survival tips or advice that could help us 2015ers through the creative process post them :)

***​

Right now I'm still working on my concept and practice. Mainly just VAPD jotting and searching for snippets of inspiration.
My short term goal: to have my concept down pat by the end of next week and start doing preliminary sketches, ordering canvases and supplies and getting ready to start by week 8/9/10.

I'm a little apprehensive about starting. In the past with major works I've been really indecisive and always chop and change ideas...
What I am looking forward to is just chilling down in the art room doing my major work with the rest of the class over the next year :p
wow c: You're really ahead of your game haha I'm still stuck on mindmaps. I have like a session interview thing with my teacher next week so I'll just see how my concept goes from there.

urgh

Last year's (2014'ers) in my school were SO GOOD though D: I feel like there's some pre-etty big shoes to fill for my class haha OTL.

them stress.

Dw, you're not alone. Honestly I think the nature of a major work is to continue to evolve even after you've determined a concept. I've never actually had any works that turned out the way I envisioned when I started but then again my best ones were accidents so maybe I'm just not that good at VA lol

Fiction

HSC
1. Start experimentation ASAP
2 Actually start BOW and not stuff around for 1 and 1/2 terms 'researching' when in reality you know what to do..

3. http://arc.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/standards-packs/SP01_15400/ look at this
4. Look into the amount of ceramics, paintings, photography and see the type of 'cohort' of BOWs you are competing against state wide.
5. Stick any ideas into VAPD no matter how dodgy
Isn't 1 and a half terms like half the amount of time we get to do it? XD;

Is 4. the artexpress website? Also, how do you look into the 'type of cohort' of BOWs we're competing against if the 2015'ers haven't completed their BOWs yet...? :p

moonshoes

HSC
N/A
You are amazing. I think I've followed steps 1, 3, 4 and 5 already.

Just need to get onto actually doing :D

Thanks you!!!

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Isn't 1 and a half terms like half the amount of time we get to do it? XD;

Is 4. the artexpress website? Also, how do you look into the 'type of cohort' of BOWs we're competing against if the 2015'ers haven't completed their BOWs yet...? :p

Look at art express website is a good idea....

And yeah 1/2 terms is pretty much half the time so don't waste it like I did .:lol: I nearly died in term 2

I meant previous years..,there is data somewhere on the BOSTE website (Can't remember where) that
tells you, in 2011 2300 people did ceramics, 100 people did painting etc (made up figures)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

***​

*(to continue rumbleroar's legacy:) )
Hi there:),
You seem really prepared:), a plan of attack is always good:) feel free to check out my stickied threads on this forum for some tips on the creative process and theory exam as well. Best wishes for your HSC:)

ReyesDaRoof

HSC
I've already started some experimenting today. :D
I'm so glad that I can vaguely imagine what I want to do.

Has anyone chosen their form and concept? :confused:

Fiction

HSC
I've already started some experimenting today. :D
I'm so glad that I can vaguely imagine what I want to do.

Has anyone chosen their form and concept? :confused:
nup
I know it won't be ceramics or textiles definately though.
Out of curiosity, does anyone know anyone who's done cermamics or textiles or anyother one of those lesser done forms?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
nup
I know it won't be ceramics or textiles definately though.
Out of curiosity, does anyone know anyone who's done cermamics or textiles or anyother one of those lesser done forms?
I did ceramics

moonshoes

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone!

Good news: handed in my first Vart assessment so now I can focus on the BOW more yay.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
This is so exciting guys!! I remember trying to finalise my concept and practice this time last year :p

Some advice:
- Make sure you know what concept you want to explore. It doesn't need to be extremely specific, but a narrow enough field so you have a wide scope of possibilities to work with. Remember your concept should govern your practice, because if you have a strong concept, you can find heaps of interesting ways to reflect it in your practice! (That was just me though)
- If you lack inspiration for a concept, look at some really cool artworks and take note of their practical elements you wish to incorporate in your work. This could definitely lead to something really cool!!
- Check out art galleries, festivals, pinterest, ffffound and other online inspiration sites, etc if you're looking for some kind of "spark"
- Start experimenting after you've decided what you want to do. This is really important because you'll know if things are a go or a no and you will still have time to change your practice without sacrificing the quality of your work (less time to do your work = work quality could be sacrificed)
- If you're going with a generic idea, make sure your practice is not generic at all. Or else your work will be mediocre.

Remember, you get better as you go so don't feel too deflated if when you start your work, it looks a bit bleh. It actually gets so much better, you have no idea!!

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Last edited:

Fiction

HSC

moonshoes

HSC
N/A
Your sculptures are so sweet!

Fiction, I totally get you... In year 8, we had to do an interpretation of Rodin's "The Thinker". Mine only had one arm as the other fell off along with its foot and left ear.

:D

UPDATE:
Presented my idea to the class today.
Teacher suggested that instead of doing a big big work, do a triptych for practicality.

-------- >>>>> Does anyone know where you can purchase quality canvases and art supplies around North Sydney area? I know Chatswood Westfield has a little art store down stairs, but are there any other places?

-m.s.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Pretty sure Chatswood chase store has an Excersleys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)