NEED HELP - HSC Exam (1 Viewer)

wong_

HSC
So the Visual Arts HSC Exam goes for 1hour and 35 mins, which is nothing compared to other written/theory exams like Legal Studies, English etc.
For me, it was really difficult to finish my essay and 3rd question during trials; and i felt the pressure to write allot, espicially with the extra lined paper thats given at the end of all 3 questions.
Just wondering, how would i equally put in the time for all questions yet finish them all within such little time??
Did anyone else struggle in their trials, because I did.

Thank you :) :) :)

StudyToDeath

HSC
I don't tend to have any spare time in art exams. I stritcally follow the allocated time for each section. If I'm lost for ideas to write about I move to the next question and come back. And I extensively study for section 2.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think I will always give a very simple piece of advice: answer the question and plan your answer before you write, don't try to write down every thing you know about the question, write down only what's relevant, just because there is a lot of lines doesn't mean you have to write endlessly to get good marks. The best answers are those which are succinct and can pinpoint what is relevant to the question and what is not. Practice under exam conditions and refine your time management-it is the most effective way you can improve. Good luck:)

tacorrito

HSC
I found time management for the art exam to be very challenging. I'd often write too much for the short answers, and then start to run out of time for the final question in Section I as well as Section II.

My teacher often recommended students to start the paper in reverse order, doing the essay before the short questions. I never really got into the groove of that- to me, the short answers often act as a bit of a warm-up before the essay.

A tip is considering the marks allocated for each question and choose how ever many techniques that correspond to it: for example, write about three techniques in an artwork if it's worth three marks, five if it's worth five, etc. Also, definitely time yourself and do as many past short answers as you can. It really helps with getting the hang of the paper.

Best of luck!

milkytea99

HSC
It's a bit late but anyway, it helps the future years cohort.
I usually start the paper in reverse order, essay, question 3, question 2 then question 1 and it always works for me. As the bulk of your time is spent initially on essay and question 3, which is like more than half of your visual arts theory mark. And since question 1 is only like 5 marks, even if you only have 5 minutes left, it's enough to bs your way to get full marks as opposed to the other questions which requires a lot of time to write.

As I used to write in order from question 1 to essay, and I end up going overboard for question 1, leaving not enough time for question 3 and essay and my marks greatly suffered. But yeah, now I took the reverse approach so I'll see how I go when results come out haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)