Mer (1 Viewer)

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
im interested to know wat some of u put for two negative impacts of MER.

i put: MER is a supply-side policy aimed at lifting aggregate supply through efficiency measures and structural changes which will therefore 1. attract higher foreign investment due to rising production which will impact negatively on BOP and 2. can cause misallocation of resources through opening up markets eg labour moving to industries with higher capacity to pay.

will they be acceptable.

S

Shuter

Oh yes now I remember the question. But Ican't really remember what I wrote.

VVoody

Nothing better to do ^_^
HSC
I'm pretty sure MER encourages a better allocation of resources...

I think I put short term unemployment for people who have to be retrained....can't remember what I put for the second one...

Rorix

HSC
kunny funt said:

i put: MER is a supply-side policy aimed at lifting aggregate supply through efficiency measures and structural changes which will therefore 1. attract higher foreign investment due to rising production which will impact negatively on BOP and 2. can cause misallocation of resources through opening up markets eg labour moving to industries with higher capacity to pay.

will they be acceptable.

1 is dodgy (if that's the way you explained it) and 2 is wrong.

i think i wrote something like an increase in structual unemployment and um......decline of services to rural centers.

SpaceMonkey

Frak!
HSC
*Structual change and implementation of new technology in the economy can lead to skill and job redundancy which will lead to structual unemployment.

Can't remember what I wrote for the second point.

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
the point i made was that if there is growth in certain industries, then foreign investors will look to invest in these industries therefore increasing their equity holdings in australia therefore we have to pay them with returns impacting -vely on current account.

and yes i do understand that opening up markets allows labour to move to where it is more effective, but it CAN also result in different levels of growth in different industries, thus changing the capacity to pay and labour allocation cant it?

i really shouldve written the structural unemployment one ... just didnt think of it ... oh well

VVoody

Nothing better to do ^_^
HSC
nicksta_40 said:
1. Increased structural u/mt
2. Time lags - around 20yrs i think
Sweet. I think I put time lags :)

PhiL

i think i put:
1. structural unemployment
2. increased social welfare costs for govt for those who are structurally unemployed

rumour

HSC
kunny funt said:

2. can cause misallocation of resources through opening up markets eg labour moving to industries with higher capacity to pay.
MER is encourages better allocation of resources!!!

My points:
1.) Structural unemployment
2.) I don't remember :p

Last edited:
S

Shuter

Oh now I remember, I think I said structural unemployment and increased government costs for welfare/retraining.

nuffy

Shuter said:
Oh now I remember, I think I said structural unemployment and increased government costs for welfare/retraining.
same as me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)