Module A - Creative Writing (1 Viewer)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Question 1

'Do I dare disturb the universe?'
(T.S. Eliot)

Use this line as a basis for a piece of imaginative writing within the genre you have studied.

In your response, draw on your knowledge and understanding of the elective you have studied in Module A.

Last edited:

winicat

HSC
my story was about a woman in jail cause she killed her husband because he killed her unborn child. that quote was so dumb and i sat there for about 10 minutes trying to think of something and even then crossed out every second sentence. it didn't help that the examiner was standing at the wall next to me, watching me, while i did nothing but sit there and draw on my writing booklet. ug... i certainly hope everyone else wrote better stories than i did. especially my friend nicci who just vomits all this romantic style crap that is sooooo good and oh! i love her stories and she should have written mine... *sigh*

Skeeta

HSC
yeh initiallly the quote had me stumped then i was like "lets make sum crap up"

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
i wrote this murder mystery (crime fiction genre) on board this boat at this womans 50th birthday party. they dont work out who the killer is, cos u end up findin out it was a TV program and the chic watching it has to wait til next week to find out the next part.. but it was bout how even if she solved the crime before they did she couldnt disturb their "universe" but every week at 830 the disturbed her own universe, as she was transformed from a usual student, to the detective of the "miss cosy series". hahaa hope it makes sense to the marker.

iwishiwassmart

Oh crap. i think i screwed up the creative part! does imaginative writing mean it has to be an actual story?? cos i did a piece froom the point of view of a composer examining crime fiction and how to create a story.....damn.

Last edited:

televators

HSC
I wrote a hard-boiled crime fiction involving cats and dogs. End of story.

Candypants

It was so stupid. Female version of Marlowe... the disturbance to the universe was women doing men's jobs... whatever.

Mays

HSC
i had to force my srtory to fit...
it was a parody about a murder at the moulin rouge...
i tried to be funny let hope they get it!...
ps my detective was suppose be an australian dude
hmm.lets :eek: hope all goes well when they mark...i hope the sqeezing was too obvious

mayhemily

HSC
well haha my story was very skull beneath the skinesque coz i had a quick reread of it yesterday so it was in the brain. Basically, big socal do, actresses bday, sposed to make speech but was killed. Was it the husband? Was it the newspaper journo? Nah it was her daughter!! very. very. very. lame lol!

Jezzabelle

okies.. i looked at it, thought 'cripes!' ... looked it prob another 5 times.... after my essay i was like riiiiight...think.... hmmm

and so i related disturbing the universe... to truth... revealing a truth that would disturb the universe... and started writing about an envelope on a table, which progressed to writing about a female who is a dectective sitting at the table. and the envelope reveals the truth that will expose this pharmaceutical company and destroy it, and she is waiting for the boss "The Hound" (dont ask me why it just sounded like a criminal name....) to meet up with her at this cafe she is sitting in....
anyways while she is waiting she reflects on how she got the letter, and how the investigation lead her to discover the corruption and realities of society, just things she observes while waiting bring back fragments of memories... anyways the reader learns that she has two things to give the universe, the truth or life. and that she has had to choose between revealing the truth or getting payed off to shutup. so there is this whole moral debate going on for her.. and i take some of the ideas of truth from anil's ghost and Snow Falling on cedars.. anyways "the hound" comes and gives her the payoff and she gives him the letter... and the reader is thinking Noooo she's been corrupted, she isnt the noble knight of the dectective anymore, she's been silenced by money. but then my hints thru the sotry become clear that 1. she is dying of cancer 2. she is pregnant. the envelope holds the truth that there is a cure for cancer that the pharmaceutical company is suppressing because they have built an empire on the kemotherapy drugs. but the nice little twist is, that her baby has been created with the cure in her blood, and even tho the detective is gonna die, she will use the money to protect her daughter so she can disturb the universe, in a good way, with the truth, when its the right time :)

~*~Karina~*~

I wrote a letter from the criminal's point of view to a detective...It was basically telling the the detective that a murder was about to take place, and laughing at him because he gave no clues as to when, where and what the murder was going to be. I talked about the whole formulaic aspect of Crime fiction, saying that this time, it was going to be different...no formula was going to be followed, therefore preventing the detective from doing his duty to restore order. Its pretty weird...it continually takes the power away from the detective, not giving him any possible way to solve the crime. Kinda diminshes the importance of the detective...

J

jhakka

I wrote about my on-the-spot detective and part time Egyptologist, Theodore Simons. (I quote him in Ancient History when I feel I should quote someone)

It was literally a case of who stole the (jewel encrusted) cookie from the cookie jar.

Last edited by a moderator:

coroneos

i know some people that wrote like different text types with someone doing a newspaper article? will u lose marks 4 doing this? the qstn wasnt realli clear.

bahodl

Currently wearing pants
HSC
I wrote an anil's ghost style story about this guy who's a coroner in sri lanka - then realises hes determining the cause of death of his wife who he hasnt seen in 6 years - he knows the gvt.s behind it so he marches up to them and then security kills him. The story ends with another coroner ascertaining the cause of death of the original guy and he worries coz of the way the world is - the guy dared to challenge the universe or watever and he died

gaeko

wow, you guys are good, using it to relate it to society...

The way incorporated the quote was meant to be funny and simple, I hope the marker likes it...but reading your posts, I dont feel too good.

Basically, the private detective's name was Boz Universe and his firm was called 'The Universe'.

A friend rings early in the morning and goes "Do I dare disturb the universe?"

fantasia

HSC
coroneos said:
i know some people that wrote like different text types with someone doing a newspaper article? will u lose marks 4 doing this? the qstn wasnt realli clear.
no it didnt stipulate text so you can do anything, story, article whatever

Rhi Kate

...!
HSC
I wrote about creating a rebellion of people in outer space!!! (verystrance) and was it my right to do so! "Do I dare disturb the universe" (or what ever it was)

CraoPosaune

HSC
N/A
gaeko said:
Basically, the private detective's name was Boz Universe and his firm was called 'The Universe'.

I think thats great! the markers love things that are different and i think they'll love that!!!

i sucked. i used an assessment from before, hard-boiled crime fiction with "Dust out lug before i paste yer pan towards a Harlem Sunset" etcetc. So markers wont know what the hell i want characters to say, but thats ok. I did a narrative and i think i shouldve done a feature article or something. to stand out.

I wrote about my detective who had a thing for a femme fatale who blackmailed him with the bad guy, johnny Hoover, who was a prohibition alcohol outlaw dude, and was supplying alcohol to everyone illegally, and Ted, my detective, went to stop him and his sidemen bvetrayed him for money and killed him and went to this garage and my femme fatale was there and

i had no time left and killed everyone off talking about the baseness and complexity of society and crap.

Do i dare disturb the universe was just a random phrase i turned into a hardboiled phrase so it couldve meant anything. pfft. i sucked

ARGH!

Last edited:

Perhaps

HSC
N/A

That is so hilarious! Seriuosly, I think it's great. Heheh. But then, I have a really weird sense of humour.

Er, I don't think I incorporated the quote really well. I did a story I had written earlier in the year (actually, term four last year) and sort of slipped it in. Hmm.

The story (Revenge Tragedy) was about a gay hate crime, essentially, and a person taking revenge for it. My "big twist" was that the guy taking revenge was one of the people involved in the killing of the gay guy in the beginning, and you didn't know until the end - that the gay guy died or who it was that was taking revenge.

Well, that's a really simplistic recount. But yeah, basically. I think I need some sleep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)