genetics the code broken (1 Viewer)

PookieMonster

Got bored & left 30/01/05
HSC
anyone do this? i didnt really study it and for fucks sake i wish i had. i was just stumped. if i had studied i probably would have been fine...

jonohoang

Linkage genes

Linkage genes are genes that are on the same chromosomes on different loci

i thought the exam was pretty easy, but some of the option questions were worded weirdly, how did u think you went?

myg0t

myg0t
HSC
Yeh the option was a bit of a pest, particularly the last bit with the two graphs.

But I wouldn't be too worried, the marking scheme is a lot more relaxed for this option compared to some of the other options.

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
I came up with the best experiment to model linkage, it was genius :D

I liked the elective questions, very run of the mill, and no HOX genes or gene cascades questions D

the_archduke

Gene linkage

I thought linked genes were located very close together on a chromosome meaning that during crossing over it is very unlikely for them to be seperated meaning that they are almost always expressed in the phenotype together. I think that's what it is or else I'm screwed.

PookieMonster

HSC
what does U represent. i think i got it right.
also what did u write about polypeptide synthesis?

lovelydebisme

HSC
N/A
for polypeptide systhnesis...

I wrote:
DNA unwinds, and unzips, then mRNA makes a complenmatary base pairing with the DNA, that is A-U, C-G. mRNA travels to the ribosome, where the tRNA picks amino acid, and attaches to it. The chain of amino acid forms polypeptide, and several polypeptides form protein. :D

lovelydebisme

HSC
N/A
Remember the 7 marks question?

about the genetic thing? What do U guys write about?
My teacher said you only need to write about the benefits and costs that transgenetic species have on the society.
However, i wrote about artificial insemation, pollination, cloning and the transgenetic all. Am i going to lose marks for writing so many?

stef since 1986

i thort multi choie was a joke.. did it in about 30secs. Loved the middle section, but i didnt study the option and like you, i wish i did!! i knew nothing in it.. bummer

dan291

HSC
lovelydebisme said:
about the genetic thing? What do U guys write about?
My teacher said you only need to write about the benefits and costs that transgenetic species have on the society.
However, i wrote about artificial insemation, pollination, cloning and the transgenetic all. Am i going to lose marks for writing so many?
yeh i had like an hour and a half for the option so i did all those too and like gene therapy and cloning and all that crap.. i think u were sposed to do heaps of stuff cos it was worth so much... i wrote like 7 pages on it..

reuder

lovelydebisme said:
I wrote:
DNA unwinds, and unzips, then mRNA makes a complenmatary base pairing with the DNA, that is A-U, C-G. mRNA travels to the ribosome, where the tRNA picks amino acid, and attaches to it. The chain of amino acid forms polypeptide, and several polypeptides form protein. :D

OMG that is EXACTLY what I wrote!!!! I hope we're right!

rish

HSC
did anyone do their multiple choice in pencil? do they mark it by computer? coz if they do then im fukd!!!!

nan01

HSC
PookieMonster said:
what does U represent.

is it uracil? haha we asked our teacher..she didnt know! yeah shes a great teacher!

PookieMonster

HSC
nan01 said:
is it uracil? haha we asked our teacher..she didnt know! yeah shes a great teacher!
good i wrote that, i thought it was but then i thought, oh fuck maybe uracil is another version of an excretion or something haha how funny

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
with the model question: u know how it says "you undertook an investigation" - did anyone actually do it? we did i think a total of 6 investigations during the whole course. lol - so much for minimum of 30hrs practical work... my whole centre's stuffed for that one straight away.
for the 7mk question, i talked bout aritificial insemination and pollination, transgenic species and cloning too - it was worth 7 mks after all. neway, had bout 1 1/2 to do it in, so it wasn't like i was rushed to do it. how good was the multiple choice!?!

razzarach

keep smiling :)
HSC
silvermoon said:
with the model question: u know how it says "you undertook an investigation" - did anyone actually do it? we did i think a total of 6 investigations during the whole course. lol - so much for minimum of 30hrs practical work... my whole centre's stuffed for that one straight away.
for the 7mk question, i talked bout aritificial insemination and pollination, transgenic species and cloning too - it was worth 7 mks after all. neway, had bout 1 1/2 to do it in, so it wasn't like i was rushed to do it. how good was the multiple choice!?!
no we never did the experiments. my teacher was always like 'yes.. so IF we were to do this...' lol

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Tommy_Lamp said:
I came up with the best experiment to model linkage, it was genius :D

I liked the elective questions, very run of the mill, and no HOX genes or gene cascades questions D
I really like HOX and cascades, and human genome, so it was a pity they weren't in there. Though, thank god there was nothing on chromosome walking.

lovelydebisme

HSC
N/A
hehe:)

our teacher will treat us for dinner, because she bet that the HOX gene will definitely coming out, but NO!!! lalala, we are so happy~

and about U, my lovely teacher said just write U would be fine. Cos in my school, i think noone will get what U stands for anyway... :D

nik_noodle

HSC
thaoroxy2001 said:
what did you guys write about the use of highly variable genes in DNA fingerprinting
Um i wrote about how they use introns for it, and how the great variability in the genes allows a closer match to be made, etc etc...i kinda crapped on :p

and yeah, U is uracil :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)