All Mutation are Harmful (1 Viewer)

Bobcat

HSC
explain.

Where we ment to write about like physical mutations or like cell mutations or what :S

golferjim

HSC
Bobcat said:
explain.

Where we ment to write about like physical mutations or like cell mutations or what :S
I disagreed with the statement, and said that mutations can benefit an organism/species if they make it easier for that organism to survive in its environment. According to Darwin.

SweetSeasons

HSC
disagreed with the statement. I talked about a mutation that benifits, a mutation that is harmful and a mutation that hwas no effect.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i disagreed too. i talked about the need for adaptations for variation in a population so that a species can survive. i also talked about sickle cell anaemia which results from the mutation of the gene for haemoglobin

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
it is a discussion by saying they are not always bad, and saying when they are good and when they are bad........

psych_girl

HSC
Mutation

It is a quite easy question, The statement is not completely correct. 3/4 mutation is harmful. But DNA figerprintin is at netural.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
then for it to be correct they should say some mutations are harmful. otherwise the statement is incorrect. lol

psych_girl

HSC
DNA figerprintin

~amy~ said:
what are some examples of good mutations??
lol... My teacher said there are not any mutation good.......... but not all mutation is harmful.as i said be4, DNA figerprintin is either good or bad.....It could be said that the statement is not correct..lol

myg0t

myg0t
HSC
Ideally a balanced response was required, first you say how mutations can be chemical or environmental and may cause changes in the DNA (eg - rearrangement, duplication etc). It would have been wise to mention about mutagens aswell. I guess then the question wanted you to balance it - saying how it may cause a potentially fatal disease, or may lead to new sources of variation.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Mutations occur naturally, but at a very slow rate, exposure to mutagens rapidly increase this rate and could cause mutations that are bad (eg. Japan after atom was dropped), some mutations that have no impact or mutations where the cells mutated just die and dont harm the individual. I also talked about how mutations lead to variations, and some variations may be favourable, especially if environments change

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I talked about the rise of superbugs, and how these mutations are not harmful for the bacteria.
:. statement false

HSC
i wrote 'not all mutations are harmful, however...' then i went on about how it can increase diversity within the species in the short term, but in the long run the more natural species will die out if the mutation became a favourable charcteristic, this will decrease diversity, and make them more susceptible to extinction if something happens to come along that they cant handle

Gomer

HSC
The only way a new characteristic can occur is through mutations. Mutations can be harmful, have no effect, or can be advantageous. The statement was incorrect.

-- Gomer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)