biology is basically a bludge period (1 Viewer)

billeh

HSC
Biology is basically a bludge period. It's like the best subject u can possibly do, cuz most of the stuff, uve already learnt from year 8, 9 and 10 science, and all there is is new terminology .. and i heard that, it in fact, scales u UP ^

so really, when the HSC exam comes, there's no point studying, cuz if u listen in class, and do all ur work, u'll get at least 80%

simpz

HSC
thats so, so very wrong....
take it from someone who just did the HSC and is pretty smart, it gets alot harder as the year goes along. Its the amount of knowledge that is needed for a pass...the assesments tasks are easy and the hsc was easier than i thought but dont be fooled there is alot of work to do for biology to get a good mark!

PookieMonster

Got bored & left 30/01/05
HSC
yep its not easy. there is so much NEW content coming ur way. most of my other subject didnt fill a folder. i had 3 for bio

and u forget to do stuff, theres pracs the same as other subjects. it was one of my harder subjects.

Atotoi

Beetroot Strudel Anyone??
HSC
I found most of the experiments to be quite pointless and simple, but maybe thats because i did chem??

especially that "natural selection" one where our teacher used different coloured M&M's to help show that we choose the chocolates most easily viewed....

But Bio was fun...

alien

HSC
bio can be a bludge. it depends what other subjects you do. it's a bludge compared to chem but hard compared to like textiles. but it's not just terminology man...

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
billeh said:
Biology is basically a bludge period. It's like the best subject u can possibly do, cuz most of the stuff, uve already learnt from year 8, 9 and 10 science, and all there is is new terminology .. and i heard that, it in fact, scales u UP ^

so really, when the HSC exam comes, there's no point studying, cuz if u listen in class, and do all ur work, u'll get at least 80%
dont be a fool. yes the content is self explainatory, but there is so much of it and in yr12 you can get over whelmed by how much there is tha could be asked. in the half yearlies it is easy, trials harder cos more could be in it, hsc could be anything out of a huge syllabus. you are right and lucky if you think it is easy but theres no way you can remember the history of franklin, crick, wilkins and watson, the historical development of bla bla bla. ther are lots of those in the hsc. and these require knowledge not understanding. you cant just remember these things unless you find them interesting. biology does not scale you up unless you get in the mid to high nineties.

youd be a fool to not study for biology. its not that easy tha you cant study for it. btw why would anyone want to know whether you think biology is a bludge anyway aside from hearing someone who is completely arrogant and up himself. youll reep the consequences of no study in the hsc so make sure you re prepared. yr11 is very differnet to yr12

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
lol, theres no such thing as a subject u cannot study for and get 80% man...
and no - bio is not really yr 8/9/10 stuff, it gets harder, and if you expect to bludge.. then dnt expect to get good (ie, >60%) marks. The the examiners are so specific in their marking critera.... so you gotta work hard and understand all the stuff, and belive me, just listening in class is not enough.

DO listen in class, but also DO your work. If you listen in class, take notes and go over them in the evening after and make sure the concepts are fixed in your mind you will just fly through and it will be a breeze for you.

Get a sprial book for biology and write summaries and know your stuff. Justify your procedures, go over reliability and validity, know the safe working practices and all that.

And just a random point I picked up from these exams, read the question. In the HSC for biology and some other subjects, I missed or misread a question or two as I was tired. Underline or highlight key words/directive words, answer each question and use the mark as a guide to points to make. I missed the biology question to circle a nucleotide because I didn't.

SelphieBoffin

HSC
I think it's a bludge too. I didn't pay much attention in class a lot of the time, but I still get good marks in bio, I got third in my class for the assessment mark. Compared to chemistry where we're learning new things and being challenged, it's just, like, duh, we learnt that all already. The whole genetics part of blueprint of life we had done in yr 9, I had found it easy in yr 9, and we did it even slower in yr 12. I almost stopped coming to class during that topic.

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
I thought it was a bludge and was comming 3rd etc etc .. but it really hits you in yr12 and theres a lot to take in. Bio isnt a bludge and I made that mistake and my rank fell cos I couldnt be bothered cos I thought it was a bludge... dont make the same mistake as me.

PookieMonster

Got bored & left 30/01/05
HSC
flipsyde said:
I thought it was a bludge and was comming 3rd etc etc .. but it really hits you in yr12 and theres a lot to take in. Bio isnt a bludge and I made that mistake and my rank fell cos I couldnt be bothered cos I thought it was a bludge... dont make the same mistake as me.
i came second out of 2 classes. i believe thats awesome.

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
bio is so much harder than people give it credit for. yes is does scale, but that's because it's a tough subject. it was my hardest, but maybe it's because it bored me and i slept through most classes. don't take that attitude with you or you will be very unpleasantly surprised. there is so much to learn in bio. make sure you keep up

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
There are so many dot points you have to know its not funny! to be able to get 80% or more l'm guessing you would have to have a fairly good idea of most of the dot points and be able to get almost full marks for it.

psych_girl

HSC

billeh said:

it is completely wrong.....U must do summary, remeber the important points....It isnt any points for you to get high HSC if u do nothin about Biology...and its also a scaled down sub.....image, if bio is up, how about physics and chemistry?

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
psych_girl said:
it is completely wrong.....U must do summary, remeber the important points....It isnt any points for you to get high HSC if u do nothin about Biology...and its also a scaled down sub.....image, if bio is up, how about physics and chemistry?
bio does not scale down btw. chem scales much better but physics not much more than bio at all really

psych_girl

HSC
bio is down, Chem and phy r up

lukebennett said:
bio does not scale down btw. chem scales much better but physics not much more than bio at all really
lol...If ur HSC bio mark is Band 6, but ur final Bio will down to 82 or sth....Believe me. I do it this year...lol

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
psych_girl said:
lol...If ur HSC bio mark is Band 6, but ur final Bio will down to 82 or sth....Believe me. I do it this year...lol
i know what you are saying but that is the scaling of raw marks by the UAC. they dont actually scale your bOS mark down. bio has above average scaling at BOS, but not very good scaling in terms of UAI/UAC compared to chemistry.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
psych_girl said:
um that doesnt make sense, if ur smart ur rewarded for it, not punished. anyway bio is not scaled down, and its not scaled up much either.

tamster

They are right you know. Bio is hardly a bludge. If you get like 80% or more without study then maybe it is the test that you are doing. Bio is hard. Since when do you learn about the details of phagocytes and stuff in those years! Briefly... yes. But that is all! All of my elective 'human story' was new! You might get a shock when you get your mark back. But I do hope it is a pleasant one though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)