Quanta to Quark (1 Viewer)

ramanij

The dotpoint in the syllabus realting to particle accelerators... isnt it just a "identify" how can tehy ask such a big question(7 marks)?

sub

hahaha, yaeh i was screwed on that one too. i identified it as a tool as asked, and then i went on to talk about the standard model, always referring to how the accelerator was needed, but other than that i had nothing more to say...im looking for a 5 or 6 out of 7 for that. hopefully ill get there :)

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
hmmm yeah, it was a shit question... i wudnt worry too much, not many ppl will do well with it. i only managed to waffle for a page about nething i knew, and same for most of my yr :p

grimreaper

HSC
I just described a couple of different accelerators and then talked about the actual applications of accelerators - but yeah I dont think theyve ever put 7 marks into an identify dot point before

sub

always a first...maybe it'll get discounted? then everyone will get 7 marks for free? i like the sound of that...though not the odds :(

Jase

HSC
i think it was a) about bullshitting and b) about procrastinating with as much bullshit as possible.

i wrote about all the stupid little discoveries like the top quark ,pi mesons and smashing atoms, and used the word "accelerator" at least 100 times. for 7 marks that was the worst question ever.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I talked about the confirmation of the quarks charges and the finding of them (1990 Nobel Prize) the creation of mass, such as II and III generation particles and the pentaquark. The explanantion of the standard model for original confusing results.

How they are used to test features and the search for not yet found particles (eg the Higgs Boson)

grimreaper

HSC
Xayma said:
I talked about the confirmation of the quarks charges and the finding of them (1990 Nobel Prize) the creation of mass, such as II and III generation particles and the pentaquark. The explanantion of the standard model for original confusing results.

How they are used to test features and the search for not yet found particles (eg the Higgs Boson)
well erm thats pretty good I didnt go into nearly that much detail :(

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
mm yeah out of all the things Xayma said, I only wrote about 1 (the generations) and I remember hearing the term 'higgs boson' now that I think about it, but i don't know what it is.

That's probably what they're looking for then.

I just talked about diff. accelerators then i described the standard model

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Overall the Q2Q questions were so easy. For the 7 marker i thought 7 marks was too much for just accelerators so i integrated the standard model dot point into it and in the last few paragraphs related the question to the article

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Kazuya said:
mm yeah out of all the things Xayma said, I only wrote about 1 (the generations) and I remember hearing the term 'higgs boson' now that I think about it, but i don't know what it is.

That's probably what they're looking for then.

I just talked about diff. accelerators then i described the standard model
The higgs boson is what gives matter mass. It is though that the quantum entaglement of the Higgs Boson and clumping together is what is mass, at the speed of light it doesnt interact giving 0 mass. Close to it, it interacts strongly (accounting for the reletavistic mass increase).

It will be searched for the new accelerators come online.

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
Xayma said:
The higgs boson is what gives matter mass. It is though that the quantum entaglement of the Higgs Boson and clumping together is what is mass, at the speed of light it doesnt interact giving 0 mass. Close to it, it interacts strongly (accounting for the reletavistic mass increase).

It will be searched for the new accelerators come online.
Someone loves particle physics :p

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I find it interesting, particularly because new particles are still being sought after and found. And with supersymmetry there is as many particles currently found that could still be there.

Last edited:

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
yer i talked about the search for higgs boson and the new accelerator being built at cern opening 2005 which gives particles 8 times more energy than ever before and how that has a greater chance of finding it etc

but that question was so fukn stupid, cause the rest of the q2q was so simple...

vladimir

yeh except for accelerators the rest was simple, just identify and describe and simple calculations
i just talked about how accelerators make conditions like just after the big bang, and fundamental particles so we can study em. then talked about teh standard model. at the end i threw in a quote from the quote in the question and mentioned quantum chromodynamics, hope it sounded like i knew what i was talking about

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
I wrote:
To investigate the nuclear force and the nature of the fundamental particles, the nucleus needs to be disrupted. To do this, energy must be put into the nucleus. This energy input requires Particle accelerators to accelerate the particles, such as protons, to the required energy. If we could accelerate particles to high enough energies we could probe inside the nucleus and perhaps inside the nucleons themselves. Bigger particle accelerators help to provide details of the structure of matter. Also as energy increases we can create heavier particles as energy of the probe particle is converted to matter.

And how Accelerators assists in the investigation of matter:

1)High energy means high speed and from the de Broglie relationship,
this means short wavelength. Smaller wavelengths mean greater resolution adding fine detail to the observations.
2)High energy means high mass particles can be produced (from E=mc2). The vast majority of elementary particles can only be ‘observed’ after their creation in high-energy accelerators; they are not normally ‘visible’ at typical energies.

and gave examples of some accelerators and how they functioned etc.

well....this is what I was taught

Teleph

Look mum i'm a Starrrr
HSC
thaoroxy2001 said:
I wrote:
To investigate the nuclear force and the nature of the fundamental particles, the nucleus needs to be disrupted. To do this, energy must be put into the nucleus. This energy input requires Particle accelerators to accelerate the particles, such as protons, to the required energy. If we could accelerate particles to high enough energies we could probe inside the nucleus and perhaps inside the nucleons themselves. Bigger particle accelerators help to provide details of the structure of matter. Also as energy increases we can create heavier particles as energy of the probe particle is converted to matter.

And how Accelerators assists in the investigation of matter:

1)High energy means high speed and from the de Broglie relationship,
this means short wavelength. Smaller wavelengths mean greater resolution adding fine detail to the observations.
2)High energy means high mass particles can be produced (from E=mc2). The vast majority of elementary particles can only be ‘observed’ after their creation in high-energy accelerators; they are not normally ‘visible’ at typical energies.

and gave examples of some accelerators and how they functioned etc.

well....this is what I was taught

LOL almost exactly what i wrote ....the thing that i'm worried about is do u need to actually like go into details about each group of the standard model ? I just mentioned it as examples but didn't really go into it. I looked at the stimulus and thought they want to talk about particle acceralators so i spent 2 pages drawing and writing out all the particle acceraltors

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Teleph said:
LOL almost exactly what i wrote ....the thing that i'm worried about is do u need to actually like go into details about each group of the standard model ? I just mentioned it as examples but didn't really go into it. I looked at the stimulus and thought they want to talk about particle acceralators so i spent 2 pages drawing and writing out all the particle acceraltors
I was thinking the same things so i spent about a page on the components of the standard model and the rest on accelerators

matt_f64

HSC
N/A
Xayma said:

if only ANYTHING u actually said was in the syllabus... then we would give a fuck. in all other cases, no.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)