Your Studies of Religion class (1 Viewer)

Rosencrantz

So how is your studies of religion class set up? Is it large or small? Have you or have you not finished the course? Was it because everyone was talking and joking or not... :D

My studies of religion class is hilarious there is only 7 people in it! However we (by that i mean collectively, as a whole - not as in the royal 'we') haven't finished the course yet (and this is only SOR I) because our teacher talks and talks and talks (thats not a bad thing though! Not by any means) and some of the class then takes a point and makes a lame joke out of it or side tracks the teacher, or indeed the entire class.

Strange thing is we all get pretty good marks (most of the people are 2 unit students, only 2, a fellow class mate and myself are one unit. The other 5 are II unit SOR), although our teacher marks hard... mind you only a few people passed the trials well. I wasn't among them though... i tried to answer 3 25 mark extended response at the end of the paper because i didn't read the instructions. DOH!

So what about the rest of you? What is your SOR class like? Were you dragooned into doing SOR or was it just a choice you made and most importantly how do you like it?

Lazy

Old Bastard
HSC
At our school its compulsory for everyone to do SOR :mad:

Our classes are big (bout 30 in each) and are an absolute joke. While we were doing aboriginal spirituality anything our teacher said would result in more racist calls then you could poke a stick at. Then we'd all get side tracked on either a coon bashing period or a lecture period where our teacher abused us all for being so racist.:rolleyes:
But yeah SOR periods are a lot of fun, and the religious debates get pretty lively, and nobody really does any work, as shown through the course average of 21%. As our headmaster is very religious and we are a vincentian school the lectures and threats were long and many :rolleyes:
Anyway SOR is a pretty interesting subject and its easy to gain good marks if you put in a little work(and by good marks i mean top 90's easy).;)

flosh's gurl

since i'm at a catholic school SOR is compulsary for everyone. theres about 25 or so in my class. i dont mind religion. it's more interesting now that we are doing the foundation studies part. i hated religious rites. sooo boring. we weren't given the option of 2 unit, which sux cause i probably would have taken it. they forgot to add it when we made our choices for y11 and then we were told that we couldn't pick up the unit for y12. but i find it pretty easy, thats what you get from going to catholic schools your whole life i suppose.

SPX

Me too, religion is compulsory at my Catholic School and as it is in all classes in the state, the biggest bludge and muck up period in my school career. We don't get much done, our teachers get stressed, nobody wants to do SOR and if you do just a little bit of work you willbe topping the grade. Too bad I don't and like most the grade we are willingly failing!

jojogirl~

religion's compulsory here too..we have about 80 students in the whole grade doing it, but around 25 in a class.

our class used to be fun when we had our old male teacher, we used to play pranks and just watch videos all the time hehe
but now we've got a different teacher and she writes too many notes and so we HAVE to concentrate....

SPX

Hey, who here has the type of teacher that puts on overheads just to make the time pass? If they don't teach properly how do they expect us to take the subject seriously?

Coffee_Fan

Wait for the dark
Religion is ok

I don't mind RE, it's not a big course and it's pretty easy to remember things

My teacher inisists that we've finished the course but we haven't we've covered bits and pieces but i think i'll be doing lots of SELF REsearch towards the exam

kaseita

our class has about 11 ppl, and 2 others who do it in their own time.
but cause its so small, our teacher always comes late, just dumps huge amounts of worksheets on us, and then expects us to do it.
i've got all these booklets everywhere, just from sor, but he runs us pretty hard anyway...when he's there. hammers the same kind of things in.
I've got everything I need to know. I just have to look at it! the only reason i did well comparatively against my class, was cause I actually looked over every booklet he gave me, and it ended up alot of the questions had stuff that you'd only know, if you'd actually looked deep into thsoe booklets
they're massive though
well, its either sor, or christian ed., which doesn't count, so chose sor, also for backup in case I bomb out in something.
no one does sorII here. not enough enthusiasm for it. its surprising enough that anyones doing 1unit, from the teachers we get. they used to give us crosswords/findawords/fill-in-the-spaces in RE up to yr10, so no one took it seriously.
but we've got a good teacher now, for the subject anyway...one who actually knows something, and does real work.

bex

HSC
We only have SOR2 and it isnt compulsory in my catholic school.. there are 8 people in my class and its pretty tough! I ended the year coming second and i was happy with that. Our abilities are pretty spread out throughout the class and our teacer is really into it..

I like SOR... the course is interesting but the questions are really difficult!

kaseita

you go to loreto right? saw it in some other post
hehe, you got schell as head, hehehe
done the meditations and find/fill in the words yet?

bex

HSC
haha yeah loreto...

Mr Schell is cooooool! hehe he has one of those crazy radio voices... but um he was on my yr 12 retreat... yeah thast about it really! i dont actually have him for SOR cause....ok long story.. i had this one teacher till the end of yr 11, at the end of term 3 he left so i got a new one for term 4 and the rest of yr 12... mr schell took the new yr 11 class..so that is why i dont have him!

edit to say that we do meditation and fill/find a word things in other, compulasary non uai religion...

kaseita

oh, Mr Schell is a great guy, he just doesn't teach very well (gets too side tracked, doesn't discipline ppl, and he has a few weird ideas...)

eversince he left, the people doing compulsory religion are actually doing work...its kinda strange. of course everyone complained about it, since for all these years, its just been a joke. the only reason I decided to do SOR was because I found out that none of the incompetent teachers (which was everyone except this guy called Mr Simes) was going to teach it for my year.
Then at the end of last year, simes wasn't going to continue to take us, because he became the yr7 yearmaster, which was going to suck up alot of his time. of course, we all petitioned, because we were all going to basically fail SOR if someone else took us. and now, everything's good!

btw, I pity your yr11 class...:p

SploJo

Our school only offers 1u SOR, but religion is compulsory so most opt for Catholic studies---which is a waste of time and resources seeing as there is no HSC exam for it.
I LOVE SOR!!! its greatness, my class is pathetic and our avg is about 20% i think, but nevertheless if you put effort into it the teachers help you out a lot more. Because my grade is SOOOOO pathetic (only about 40 out of 120 chose SOR---or they dropped it after yr11) theyve made SOR *COMPULSORY* for the new yr11's so yay to them.
Our school is stingy though, they took away our jerseys:mad: they cancelled our yr10 formal :mad1: and we've had police visits. All girls catholic schools are very interesting indeed..

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
SOR1 is my favourite subject. All we do is shout and laugh and do nothing!!!

We get heaps of sheets and thats it. When exams come round, everyone has lost the sheets (except me), so I always go good. :)

(Also, usining me Last term Yr.11 assignemnt for my ISP in Yr 12):)

Ac

bex

HSC
Hey Kaseita Mr Schell left!! apparently over a difference of opinion... hmmm! he wasnt there for very long!

kaseita

wow! gosh, I didn't think he'd be leaving that quickly!
any other details??? this is amazing! I so have to tell everyone

I told you he had some weird ideas :p

bex

HSC
Well some people say he was fired.. others that he just left.. all i know is that he aint there anymore!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)