Paul of Tarsus - information needed!! (1 Viewer)

HSC
can anyone give me some info on st paul of tarsus that relates to his teachings??
i have an esay to do worth 30% and there are bugger all notes around >.<

all we need to do is explain his teachings and analyse his impact on christianity.

if you give me some help ill be sooooooooooooooooooooo grateful XD XD XD

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
cherry.blossom said:
can anyone give me some info on st paul of tarsus that relates to his teachings??
i have an esay to do worth 30% and there are bugger all notes around >.<

all we need to do is explain his teachings and analyse his impact on christianity.

if you give me some help ill be sooooooooooooooooooooo grateful XD XD XD
google is your friend!

"impact of saint paul on christianity" brings up 459,000 hits

the first 2 links

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/christianity/history/paul_1.shtml

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/religion/first/missions.html

the best notes are ones you make yourself!

JesS1ca

HSC
Hey i have an essay on him got 18/20 for it if u want it let me ill send it to you :)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
JesS1ca said:
Hey i have an essay on him got 18/20 for it if u want it let me ill send it to you :)
post it up here (cut and paste or attach) so it helps others and not just one person!!

filX

HSC
Hey any chance i can get that essay on St Paul, my dumbass school did person who has no info. thanks

aunwity

HSC
hi, could someone send it to me? i need help with notes on paul tarsus

x_ekooC

HSC
hi, could someone send it to me? i need help with notes on paul tarsus
Seeing that you asked for the notes from over a year ago I will give you some information...

Paul of Tarsus' contribution to the development and expression of Christianity is immense and stems from his writings and missionary journeys which have stamped his ideas and interpretations onto the religion. Without him, it is unlikely that Christianity would be the major world religion it is today.

He was born Saul, in southern Turkey, to a Jewish family who could trace their roots back to one of the 12 tribes of Israel. A Roman citizen, he famously converted to Christianity, changed his name to Paul, and became the leader of a far reaching mission around the eastern Mediterranean where he established and strengthened many churches. The time of his death is uncertain but it is thought he was beheaded by Nero, sometime between AD 62 AND 68.

Paul's work in Antioch may have been the base for his first missionary journeys and the church he helped establish there became the main base for his gentile mission. The Antioch Church is significant as it demonstrated to early church leaders that gentiles could be converted. Paul maintained that the death and resurrection of Jesus meant that there was a new covenant which freed all from the law - an argument he would expound on in Romans.

On his first missionary journey Paul developed the method he used for all his missions. When the Jewish population refused to accept his teachings - as they invariably did - he preached among the gentiles. According to Luke, Paul and Barnabas performed many miracles and were enthusiastically received by the gentiles but opposed by the Jews. It was at Antioch that the follows of Jesus were first called Christians.

Paul's extremely influential Aegean Mission lasted for about eight years. During this period he founded many churches and wrote the majority of the epistles which would come together in the New Testament. Paul's missionary journeys changed the nature of the emerging religion by freeing it from its geographical/Jewish roots, transforming it into a movement with the power to challenge the world.

The impact of Paul of Tarsus on Christianity is difficult to overestimate. He wrote a large proportion of the New Testament. Without him it would be significantly different text and in writing Romans 1 and 2, Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians 1 and 2, Thessalonians 1 and 2, Timothy, Titus and Philemon, Paul stamped Christianity with his ideas and interpretations.

Romans is perhaps the most important letter ever written by a Christian as it provides a comprehensive outline of the basics of Christian thought. It became the cornerstone of much subsequent Christian theology, particularly in the Reformed and evangelical traditions. A central theme in Romans is the faithfulness and righteousness of God and how God can justify sinners without compromising his own righteousness.

Paul's letters laid the foundations for much subsequent theology. His doctrine of grace was outlined and he was keen to ensure that everyone realised that Jesus' sacrificial death provided freedom from sin. In Romans, Paul also expounded 'justification by faith' whereby those who have sinned are offered salvation if they trust in God through Christ. This strongly contrasted with the Old Testament view.

In Romans, Paul first wrote extensively about the concept of predestination, whereby believers have been called and chosen by God prior even to their conception. These key ideas of grace, justification by faith and predestination are some of the most evangelical Christians.

Paul and his teachings are not without controversy as many authors and scholars believe that Paul 'invented' Christianity and that he steered away from the teachings of Jesus. The concept of justification is an example of this as it is rarely mentioned by Jesus.

Arguments over the nature of justification also played a major role in the Reformation.

Hope this helps you... and others.

jaylove

Banned
HSC
hey um, can anyone post up notes on st Paul according to the syllabus.

theres a shitload of information on the net for simple dot points and reading them all creates confusion and plus i need to study for other subjects and im going through a mental break down lol.

i just need simple straight forward notes on his according to the syllabus and that'll be my dream come true.

if anyone has any info, please post them up :)

i'm sure everyone will benefit from it.

cheers!

xx

forbidden01

HSC
religion is usually only compulsory at catholic and some christian schools...it certainly was for us...but i love it anyways...

i can post some of my notes up if you like...they're pretty simple though, not sure if they're detailed enough for you...

Miss Philologia

HSC
Yeay, I wouldn't mind that, if you don't mind- I too am doing this contribution of Paul of Tarsus as well and would love different ideas.

agua.fuego

HSC
Hey, I did this essay last year in my trials, 20/20. :) Hope it's useful. Can;t really remember the question, guessing it was something to do with how Paul (or a significant figure) significantly impacted the expression of Christianity.

It is a widely accepted notion that Paul of Tarsus, a Christian teacher living from AD 4- 67, ultimately and significantly impacted Christianity's expression. Through his writings and beliefs, Paul has changed the spiritual dimension of Christianity in its entirety.

Paul, originally a persecutor of Christians for the Roman Empire, received his conversion on the Road to Damascus. It is this that prompted his change of heart, and for his incessant preaching of the gospel. Perhaps driven by his former life, Paul preached the notion of love to all. "If I have no love, I am like a clanging gong," he wrote in one of his epistles. In Galatians, Paul notes the importance of love as one of the 'Fruits of the Spirit'. This devotion ot loving one another impacted Christianity as previously, this idea had not been taught so prominently (except, obviously, by Christ). Paul taught that Christians were to, as Jesus taught and demonstrated by His death on the cross, love through all circumstances, as love "never fails". This idea has led to the teaching, in many chuches now, of adherents 'becoming love', or becoming one with the qualities Paul so admired in the Saviour he worshipped.

Secondly, Paul's preaching of salvation through faith, and, more importantly, through God's grace, led to the amazing expansion of Christianity through the salvation of new believers. In this way, Paul made Christianity accessible to all, no matter whether they were "Jew or Gentile, male or female, freed or slave". This revolutionised religious expression as anyone knew it, as previously, salvation was earned through works (for example, sacrifices and commandments). Paul, once again building on Jesus' teachings, taught that obeying commandments was not the way to earn salvation, but was a way to show love for Jesus. While this idea was predominately lost until Martin Luther's reformation, Christianity was transformed by this and expanded significantly as a result.

Paul also reiterated the importance of relying on Jesus, which is expressed in his letter to the Colossian church. Their reliance on the self was causing nothing but trouble for their spiritual lives, and Paul was quick to point this uot. Rather than testing human capabilities, Paul promoted the idea of keeping faith in the works of God, through constant prayer and reading of God's word. This, he said, would lead to a spiritually stronger church. This idea transformed the way Christian churches react in the face of crisis - whether to stand on their own ideas ("lean not on your own understanding," as the Old Testament says) or to "Trust in the Lord your God" - with many following Paul's example and receiving through prayer.

Paul promoted the idea of individual spiritual growth, as proclaimed in his epistles. He compares newcomers to the faith as spiritual babies, but he advises through learning about the Gospel that any believer can grow ("for we are all one with Christ"). This transformed Christianity as the believer is able t now feel a closer spiritual connection to God - Paul promotes heavenly rewards, but also new spiritual gifts through growth that God lovingly gives.

Paul, while teaching that spiritual growth may accompany struggles and sin, also advise d the adherent to "flee" from sin. In his epistle to the Galatians, Paul refers to the old self - anger, gluttony, jealousy and hatred - as how believers should not act, then describes the Fruit of the Spirit: "Love, gentleness, meekness, self-control, kindness, joy and peace" as how believers should live. Paul gave examples of the adherent's ideal life, which had a transforming effect on Christianity not because of its content, but because Paul admitted sin was inevitable. Paul accomodated the nature of all individuals but urged the believer to use self-control, to "make his body a slave" and to try and resist temptation.

Paul's words, undeniably, had a profound effect on Christian spirituality and understanding, as well as teaching. Through Paul's teachings of equality and love, his teachings of Jesus' love and God's grace through salvation, Paul revolutionised Christianity for the better and could always use Jesus' preachings to support these (a necessity for the faith). Paul himself did not profess to be perfect - "my body does things I don't want to do" - but spoke always of Jesus' love and forgiveness for all, showing Christianity to be an accessible religious expression for all.

So - not sure how this lined up with syllabus teachings, this was off the top of my head (hence lack of verse references for my quotes, I'm fairly sure they're all right except for the last which BibleGateway.com would probably find if you looked for it there. Also useful for quotes, though you'd probably know that). But my teacher seemed to like it.

Other random things:

• Paul wrote Romans (about AD 57), 1 and 2 Corinthians (AD 55), Galatians (AD 50), Ephesians (AD 60), Phillipians (AD 61), Colossians (AD 60), 1 and 2 Thessalonians (AD 51- 52), 1 (AD 64) and 2 (AD 66 or 67, just before his execution) Timothy, Titus (AD 64), and Philemon (AD 60).
  • http://community.boredofstudies.org...73470/2u-religion-assignment.html#post3461931 could be useful.
  • Maybe the resources section could help (someone's probably said that :shy:)?
  • The Excel book made my life so much easier.

aishawateva

HSC
N/A
hello jessica pllease i have my trials and i need an essay for paul so please please if u could assit me ..:)

moniyoo

HSC
religion is usually only compulsory at catholic and some christian schools...it certainly was for us...but i love it anyways...

i can post some of my notes up if you like...they're pretty simple though, not sure if they're detailed enough for you...
Can you please post the note I really need it too please thank you :)

rochellec

HSC
Hi, would you be able to send me that essay! would be very helpful

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)