Question on Christian Environmental Ethics (1 Viewer)

Sew2289

HSC
Hey guys,

If I'm doing a question on christian environmental ethics, am I allowed to start by mentioning the Old Testament, which talks about how god created the earth and therefore everything is equal e.t.c, or am I meant to go straight into the new testament by mentioning beatitudes and jesus as a role model? Would I be marked down if I started off my argument by describing the basic beliefs of the bible (Like the quote that says "Be stewards of God's creation) or should I only briefly mention them and dedicate the lump of the beliefs as being drawn from the new testament?

Thanks.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Christianity is the entire Bible, not just the NT. God created this world, he told man to look after it and then everythng flowed from there.

You MUST mention OT and NT. It wouldn't be Christianity otherwise.

HSC
Sew2289 said:
Hey guys,

If I'm doing a question on christian environmental ethics, am I allowed to start by mentioning the Old Testament, which talks about how god created the earth and therefore everything is equal e.t.c, or am I meant to go straight into the new testament by mentioning beatitudes and jesus as a role model? Would I be marked down if I started off my argument by describing the basic beliefs of the bible (Like the quote that says "Be stewards of God's creation) or should I only briefly mention them and dedicate the lump of the beliefs as being drawn from the new testament?

Thanks.
I'd scaffold your essay like this:

Intro
- Define environmental ethics
- Give thesis answering question

1st paragraph
- Explore in general how Christianity's reponse to the environment has changed over time (in the colonial period many churches pushed Christians to dominate and subdue pagan lands) as compared to in the 70s where church leaders began to realise that endless expansion wasn't possible and reflected on old texts.

2nd paragraph - old testament
- I'd examine the dictomy of arguements in genesis - Genesis 1:26 - did God give us 'dominion' over the earth or 'stewardship' - what is the implication of each?
- Explore another OT chapter. I like Jona and the whirlwind.

3rd paragraph - New Testament + saints/theologists
- Again find your own chapters. I like Matts Cure for Anxiety as it explores mankind's privilaged position and Paul's statement 'all creation awaits the coming of Christ'
- Look at some of the writings of St Francis of Assissi or Hildegard.

4th paragraph - Christian responses
- Catholicism is the easiest, I'd also do a protestant varient and the ecumenical NCC.
- You might look up some of the pentecostal varients against protecting the environment because they believe that will delay the second coming of christ. I forget the name of this group.

Conclusion

Sew2289

HSC
cannibal.horse said:
I'd scaffold your essay like this:

Intro
- Define environmental ethics
- Give thesis answering question

1st paragraph
- Explore in general how Christianity's reponse to the environment has changed over time (in the colonial period many churches pushed Christians to dominate and subdue pagan lands) as compared to in the 70s where church leaders began to realise that endless expansion wasn't possible and reflected on old texts.

2nd paragraph - old testament
- I'd examine the dictomy of arguements in genesis - Genesis 1:26 - did God give us 'dominion' over the earth or 'stewardship' - what is the implication of each?
- Explore another OT chapter. I like Jona and the whirlwind.

3rd paragraph - New Testament + saints/theologists
- Again find your own chapters. I like Matts Cure for Anxiety as it explores mankind's privilaged position and Paul's statement 'all creation awaits the coming of Christ'
- Look at some of the writings of St Francis of Assissi or Hildegard.

4th paragraph - Christian responses
- Catholicism is the easiest, I'd also do a protestant varient and the ecumenical NCC.
- You might look up some of the pentecostal varients against protecting the environment because they believe that will delay the second coming of christ. I forget the name of this group.

Conclusion
Yeah, very similar to what I was going to use. Very Good Scaffold there. Thanks and thanks to alcalder and happyhiccups.

**CICI**

HSC
thats an interesting scaffold...

I have also have to write an essay including 5 christian environmental ethical teachings

I alright for the intro of the essay, but im a bit confused with structure for the body

does anyone have a sample essay or response??? or alternatively just a good essay structure for my kind of essay?

thanks

and advice at all is much appreciated
:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)